English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 February 2020, 10:05   #1
sneckburger

Investment opportunities - PS1

Ive bought an original PlayStaion 1 that I thought was very cheap off ebay. £20 including 3 games! No Box but the boxed ones are only going for a little more. I still own my worn out original one with all the games, but thought It would be wise to get another for a replacement if need be while they're still cheap.

This got me thinking, Should I start to stock pile this consoles to sell on in 10 years time?

Looking at the price that Amigas are going for and they seem to be only going up, do you think buying a PS1 now is a good Investment opportunity?

TBH I don't think I have the space and the missus will kill me! LOL
Old 25 February 2020, 10:17   #2
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
Looking at the price that Amigas are going for and they seem to be only going up, do you think buying a PS1 now is a good Investment opportunity?
No, unless you have one in mint condition in an unopened box
Old 25 February 2020, 10:25   #3
roondar

Just look at the C64: sold less than 1/5th of the PS1 and still isn't really worth all that much even after not being on the market for over 25 years.
Old 25 February 2020, 10:31   #4
Etze
A3000-Fan

Games in good condition should be a better investment than the console itself... not "FIFA/NBA/NHL/NFL 1999/2000/2001/2002/2003..." but things like Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Castlevania and so on. Maybe they are not rare, but even now it's difficult to get them at a reasonable price and in good condition.

But..maybe it's already too late to aim for good prices .
Old 25 February 2020, 10:39   #5
nobody

No ps1 will never have high prices imo. Maybe in 40 years lol.
Old 25 February 2020, 11:15   #6
sneckburger

Why has the Amiga prices skyrocketed an nothing else has?
The Ps1 is newer and there's tonnes on ebay at the minute, but I doubt thats going to be the case forever.

I wish I had a stock pile of A1200's when they were geting sold for around £40 each.

Trying to work out how many I would need to buy if I could buy them at that price to set me up for early retirement.
Old 25 February 2020, 11:21   #7
britelite

Quote:
The Ps1 is newer and there's tonnes on ebay at the minute, but I doubt thats going to be the case forever.
The A1200 for example sold maybe a million units while the Playstation have sold over 100 million, so that's why the PSX prices won't go up like Amiga prices have.
Old 25 February 2020, 11:30   #8
roondar

Yeah, the Amiga sold about 5-6 million units total - over all models.
The A1200 was fairly unsuccessful, with most estimates being in the "several hundred thousands" range, well below a million at any rate.
Old 25 February 2020, 12:37   #9
nobody

The systems that have high prices are the ones that didn't sell well. 3do, Amiga 1200/cd32, Spectrum +3, Amstrad plus, Saturn etc. Probably Wii-U will sell in high prices in some years from now.
Old 25 February 2020, 12:37   #10
nikosidis

Don't forget that PS1 is newer than any classic Amiga. Collecting things got more and more popular during the 80s and upward. You see now all the collectors editions. Only that should make you avoid collecting them. For PS1 only the games can be collectable. You can even play PS1 games on PS2 and 3.

Last edited by nikosidis; 25 February 2020 at 12:44.
Old 25 February 2020, 12:45   #11
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
The A1200 for example sold maybe a million units while the Playstation have sold over 100 million, so that's why the PSX prices won't go up like Amiga prices have.
But the more popular an item is the bigger the market for collectors.

I'm betting as the quantity drops on auction sites the prices will go up.
Old 25 February 2020, 12:50   #12
britelite

Quote:
I'm betting as the quantity drops on auction sites the prices will go up.
Prices might go up a bit, but not in the scale you're hoping for.
Old 25 February 2020, 14:06   #13
Retro1234
Phone Homer

No one knew the Amiga would be worth anything they were being thrown away early 2000s
Old 25 February 2020, 14:11   #14
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
No one knew the Amiga would be worth anything they were being thrown away early 2000s
So true but it is not hard to get an Amiga today is it? I even think the prices are low. At least on A500.
Old 25 February 2020, 14:19   #15
sneckburger

Quote:
That's exactly my point with the PS1.
Might be wrong but sometimes it's difficult to tell what is going to increase in value.
Same goes with classic cars I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
So true but it is not hard to get an Amiga today is it? I even think the prices are low. At least on A500.
I've often wondered why that is as the A1200s are going for over £250 un boxed badly yellowed and probably faulty. A500's seem to only fetch around £75.

Both are still going up in value since my purchase last year though.
At this rate it's a better investment than my pension!
Old 25 February 2020, 14:26   #16
thevoice

as others said already. Amiga Hardware went though the roof because there just a few millions sold over all models which ever were build. Let alone the high power accelerators which were sold in even less units.
for "modern" units like ps1 gameboy and whatnot, alone the millions over millions of sold units will make these units never rare. Maybe they become rare if you plan the purchase for your gand gand kids.

As for the suggestion to better collect the more "special" games for the ps1 is vague too already.
For the real rare special versions the prices are already very high while the common junk like ea sport xxx yearly updates are sold as junk for an euro or two.
so even for the games i would say you are about 10 years too late.
but that is just my opinion and i may be totally wrong xD.
Old 25 February 2020, 15:00   #17
dreadnought

Quote:

Nobody cared about retro-gaming/computing back then. It has become a trendy mass-phenomenon only in the last 5 years or so. The market has also been quite locked down since the wild west days of early ebay. At the moment it's mostly just hopeful resellers reselling stuff which other resellers got bored of holding onto and put on 1$-starting auctions. I was never into any serious collecting but it's not much fun this way.

Anyway, micros aren't really expensive, I got most of my current ones for ~50-150 quid. Some models, sure, and they will definitely go up in price, but if you are planning on retiring doing this - or even just making any substantial profit - I'd reconsider
Old 25 February 2020, 15:14   #18
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I also think the PS1 is part of the early 3D years, which have not aged well. Where as the Amiga and the other 16 bit machines were the last of the Bitmap and 2D graphics era, which, even by today's standards, hold up well. So that 'beauty of use' plays a part in the value of these items.

We should also keep in mind that when we say value, this might be a passing fad as the general public lose interest in this 'retro' world. So while the eighties are IN, it will pass and the 90's are next. Maybe even the best selling console of all time will show some promise...
Old 27 February 2020, 03:21   #19
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
The very first PS1 is rumored to have superior audio, so maybe you can start your collection with these :
https://www.destructoid.com/playstat...m--32269.phtml

Also, what Etze said.
Old 27 February 2020, 03:34   #20
AmigaHope

Given the terrible quality of PS1s there might be a market for ones with laser assemblies in good shape, but that's about it. Given that every phat PS2 can play 99% of PS1 games in hardware, and is usually better at it, there's not much of a market for the PS1.

Phat PS2s with internal hard drive mods will probably be the holy grail of collectors covering both the PS1 and PS2 era.