English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 24 April 2008, 14:08   #1
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Cool Exclusive HardWare Pron from Japan ! XXX68000 ! Zetro Outraged !

Ok guys, finally I got myself some X68000s ! Here I took some pictures and made google albums. Unfortunately I can't link them directly here (cause the links to actual photos include question mark ?) so you'll have to browse my albums.

Some of you may ask what the hell is a x68000 ? well it's a 68000 based system made by sharp in japan. It was rather unknown outside the japanese market. While the architecture seems similar to Amiga, it has a by far more capable chip set. You may find more info from the following links :

http://nfggames.com/games/X68k/index.shtm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X68000

This is the first x68000 I got :

It was sold as junk. I got it for ... 11$ I guess. It indeed didn't work. The PSU seemed to be alive, but the levels were unstable so I modded a PC PSU. With the PC PSU I was able to see the boot screen, but unable to boot from floppies cause either both floppy drives are dead, or I'm making a mistake connecting them to the mobo.

This is the second x68000 I got. It came in original box with mouse and keyboard, and it costed me .... guess 11 yens. Which is 11 cents or something But it costed about 25$ for the postage again sold as junk.

This didn't work too, the PSU was completely dead. But I got to the boot screen again with the PC PSU. But I can't boot, now I have four different floppy drives, and I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong.

Finally I got a X68000 PRO (also in original box). Pro means it's a desktop case rather than a twintowers case, so something like an A2000 I guess. It looks really cool, and working ! (this one costed me some bucks though).

When I said it's working, it worked for 30 mins or something I tried it, and now it bitches a "Adress bus error" in whatever floppy I throw at it (including verified good floppies that worked in the first 30 mins). So I wonder if I got the floppy heads dirty while trying old dusty x68000 disks ... Hmmm I gotta get those drives a head cleaning, but taking apart this baby is a PITA. Bolts, bolts bolts everywhere !

And I got some peripherals :

A chip ram expander (installed inside the second x68000), expansion bus RAM expander (10 mbs I guess), and a SCSI board. The X68000 comes with onboard SASI, which is the precursor to SCSI I guess. At this point I'm not sure how compatible SASI is with the SCSI drives. Normally everything is run from two 5.25' floppy drives, which are 1.2 mb capacity.

I also got a compiler set for the X68000.

How about a x68000 demo for bp09 ?

for those interested, I'll provide some links to x68000 emulation.

Japanese Emulation center
XM6, a very succesful emulator
ROMs for x68000 (It would be great if someone put them alltogether in a single download)
more roms

I'ld especially recommend trying arcade conversions. stuff like street fighter and final fight look great on x68, putting amiga ports to shame. Castlevania is also a famous title on this system I guess. There are also some ports from the Amiga (I guess), dungeon master, powermonger, simcity to name a few. These look generally ok (same with Amiga versions) but simcity sucked really bad, cause I think it used intuition windows on the amiga, and x68 implementation was very inferior.

The system uses an OS called Human OS, made by the lame Hudson soft. It looks like a lame clone of MS DOS. There's also a window manager called SX Windows, it looks ok, but I didn't play much with it. You can find these stuff from the links I provided.
Old 24 April 2008, 14:33   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

That be cool, but where are the naughty inside pictures?
MOAR!!!
Old 24 April 2008, 14:37   #3
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

More, more, MORE!!!!
Old 24 April 2008, 14:50   #4
coze

clicking on piccies will take you to albums, where you can see all the undies !
Old 24 April 2008, 14:52   #5
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
clicking on piccies will take you to albums, where you can see all the undies !
I swear I just heard Zetr0's head explode
Old 24 April 2008, 16:33   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@coze

!!!NOW THAT IS HARDWARE PR0N!!!

unfortunately i have had to "Report Abusive Inappropriate Content" as thats more hardware pr0n than one man should have.... think of the children coze..... the children!

An absoutely awesome collection, although i am not a Sharp Fan Boi, you most certainly have my envy! LOL

and an abuse ticket

@GH

yes, that was because the anesthetic just wore off (i had two teefies pulled today!!!) Owwwie.....
Old 24 April 2008, 16:37   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Aah, the Sharp X68000. This design is so cool, and the most arcade ports are pixelperfect 1:1 copies of the original games.

I use WinX68k, this is a brilliant emulator and in some cases better than playing the games with Mame.
Old 24 April 2008, 23:02   #8
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
可愛い!
Old 24 April 2008, 23:16   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
可愛い!
I cannot believe you said that..... infact i cannot believe i just quoted it...

erm..... what was it....
Old 25 April 2008, 03:07   #10
coze

he said 'kawai' - cute.

thanks !
Old 25 April 2008, 05:11   #11
coze

ok, after some extensive cleaning job with my x68 pro this morning, it seems the problem was not the floppy drives, but some leaky caps. I had to remove the mobo and clean some residue underside of it. While I got the mobo out, I should replace those caps, but it looks like a rocket factory there ... There are a total of 52 caps on this thing ! ... fortunately they're all through hole components. Ok now I should make a list of needed caps ...
Old 25 April 2008, 14:51   #12
AGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
I should replace those caps, but it looks like a rocket factory there ... There are a total of 52 caps on this thing !
Everyone knows, that more caps means better ヘンタイ (変態) games.

Last edited by AGN; 25 April 2008 at 15:11.
Old 25 April 2008, 19:17   #13
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Aah, the Sharp X68000. This design is so cool, and the most arcade ports are pixelperfect 1:1 copies of the original games.

I use WinX68k, this is a brilliant emulator and in some cases better than playing the games with Mame.
in which cases you can affirm that are better than mame?

btw,

Im looking for ikari warriors...it exists on x68k platform?
I can't play it on mame cause controls of ikari warriors are rare and I can't configure it
Old 25 April 2008, 21:32   #14
Photon

laser, Ikari comes in two versions - rotating joystick and 8-way joystick. The latter should work fine.

And yes, I'd love to get an X68000 for my collection - but a working one if possible. As always, the mechanical stoneage parts are what stops working. Bah. :P
Old 25 April 2008, 22:26   #15
OddbOd

for the twin towers. It's a shame they didn't sell the X68k outside Japan as it was/is a great piece of hardware, then again it's probably the reason why Amigas and STs made no impression over there

Quote:
What is FG ?
I believe it means Frame Ground.
Old 26 April 2008, 08:21   #16
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
laser, Ikari comes in two versions - rotating joystick and 8-way joystick. The latter should work fine.
ok...
I have downloaded all ikari versions...us,japan and bootleg....all are rotating joystick

which one is 8 way joystick?

can you upload it to the zone?
Old 26 April 2008, 08:53   #17
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
ok...
I have downloaded all ikari versions...us,japan and bootleg....all are rotating joystick

which one is 8 way joystick?

can you upload it to the zone?
This is completely offtopic anyway I play Ikari Warriors with a digital pad to move to the character and mouse X to aim,left mouse button to shoot and right mouse button for grenades.I think that you need to configurate "default" controls pressing TAB key.
Old 03 May 2008, 05:35   #18
Computolio

Have you tried a head cleaning disk?

X68000 floppy drives have a crazy high failure rate, and due to their weird extra features nobody's really figured out how to wire up replacements yet. It doesn't hurt to try cleaning them off, of course, as the things are brutally old.

Also, does the Pro get to a boot screen and then throw an error message when you boot off a disk, or does it throw up an error message immediately after powering on? The machine I have apparently says something to the effect of "an error has occured, please restart" instead of giving a disk prompt, but I can get past it if i reset the machine while i have a game/boot disk in the drive.

Last edited by Computolio; 04 May 2008 at 21:30.
Old 03 May 2008, 07:06   #19
coze

yup, I get to a boot screen and I get an error when I try to boot a disk. I can't get past it by resetting while there's a disk in the drive.

In my case, the drives seems to be ok. I'll need to replace the caps.
Old 03 May 2008, 20:15   #20
Computolio

Have you tried replacing the Pro's power supply? Maybe they're just as flaky as the ones in every other model.

Last edited by Computolio; 03 May 2008 at 23:58.