English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 September 2013, 13:03   #1
sokolovic

Shaq Fu ECS / AGA, is there any differences ?

Recently saw that WK isn't speaking about the release of the AGA version of Shaq FU and the AGA version seems to be never reviewed in England magazines at that time
http://hol.abime.net/1901/review

My question is : is there any difference between the OCS and the AGA version ?
Old 11 September 2013, 13:31   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

IfranView see more colors in ECS version than in AGA which may be strange.
Old 30 October 2013, 09:48   #3
sokolovic

I think I have a bit of answer for myself (talking to myself alone, everything's fine ).

Seems that in those days, Ocean Software had the habit of releasing "fake" AGA games. Those games only needs in fact 2MB chip RAM and we're perfectly working on any ECS Amiga with these specs.

Burning Rubber and Jungle Strike have the same curiosity.

I don't understand where was their interest in making that sort of things in fact...a part for the lazyness of doing a real AGA version.

Also, since James Pond III is one of the most non-AGA game that is only AGA compatible ( ), it may share the same curiosity. I can't see what is AGA-ish in this game and why it can't work on an ECS Amiga with 2MB of RAM
Old 30 October 2013, 11:18   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I think I have a bit of answer for myself (talking to myself alone, everything's fine ).

Seems that in those days, Ocean Software had the habit of releasing "fake" AGA games. Those games only needs in fact 2MB chip RAM and we're perfectly working on any ECS Amiga with these specs.

Burning Rubber and Jungle Strike have the same curiosity.

I don't understand where was their interest in making that sort of things in fact...a part for the lazyness of doing a real AGA version.

Also, since James Pond III is one of the most non-AGA game that is only AGA compatible ( ), it may share the same curiosity. I can't see what is AGA-ish in this game and why it can't work on an ECS Amiga with 2MB of RAM
Primal Rage is another 'aga' game that is aga only because of memory requirements
Old 30 October 2013, 11:19   #5
Amiga1992

I don't think James Pond III would work on ECS, and I didn't know about Burning Rubber and Jungle Strike. Do they work on ECS machines with WHDLoad?
Old 30 October 2013, 11:35   #6
sokolovic

Galahad : thanks for the precision. This one is really wired because I can't see the point of releasing a game as AGA only and doing so, leaving off the market of ECS amiga owners... At least Jungle Strike, Burning Rubber and Jungle Strike had an ECS version.

Akira : It's just that there is nothing "AGA" in James Pond III. I clearly don't see where there is anything special in that game that make him require the AGA chipset. The only thing I can think of is that the levels are huge, so it make me think the only thing that this game required was 2MB chip ram.
I don't see how can this game could'nt match it for ECS Amiga (and if I record correctly, in the previews, Millenium were speaking about an AGA version with parallaxes and an ECS version without. The final AGA seems to be the ECS one...)
Old 30 October 2013, 11:36   #7
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Is there a chance that, besides memory requirements, they decided to go the AGA-required way because they did not want to deal with potential issues coming from old/unexpected combinations ? (OCS, some memory expansions etc...)

I don't know how valid that would be for the Amiga time, but I know that in the PC world there were/are some requirements that are higher than necessary to avoid compatibility issues.
I remember some stuff about the versions of Pixel Shaders required which were set to the "high standard" of the time only because on lowest standard there had been issues with some video cards supposedly compatible.
Old 30 October 2013, 11:46   #8
sokolovic

lilalurl : Is this was the case, so why do they were publishing Amiga 1MB-only games in the past ? People with 512kB had to expand !

They could have release the games with only a mention "Amiga, 2MB CHIP required" instead of untrue "Amiga 1200".
Old 30 October 2013, 12:15   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
lilalurl : Is this was the case, so why do they were publishing Amiga 1MB-only games in the past ? People with 512kB had to expand !

They could have release the games with only a mention "Amiga, 2MB CHIP required" instead of untrue "Amiga 1200".
Few machines other than the A1200 had that memory configuration.

Presumably the software companies were expecting better sales than they got and hoped an aga only version would sell well.
Old 30 October 2013, 18:04   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Akira : It's just that there is nothing "AGA" in James Pond III. I clearly don't see where there is anything special in that game that make him require the AGA chipset. The only thing I can think of is that the levels are huge, so it make me think the only thing that this game required was 2MB chip ram.
I don't see how can this game could'nt match it for ECS Amiga (and if I record correctly, in the previews, Millenium were speaking about an AGA version with parallaxes and an ECS version without. The final AGA seems to be the ECS one...)
I am pretty sure the dual playfield mode makes it an AGA game. Doesn't look like an ECS game, nit only the number of colors meas AGA
Old 30 October 2013, 21:15   #11
Sandro
Banned

shaqfu both aga/ecs are very lame compared with genesis or snes versions, lacks music and gfx are buggy

jungle strike AGA not works here on ECS+2 mb, I tested it on winuae
Old 31 October 2013, 00:30   #12
Amiga1992

But I remember seeing an ECS version of Jungle Strike. Was I tripping?
Old 31 October 2013, 03:24   #13
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i just tested jungle strike cd32 version whdload with the a1200 3.1 rom but with ecs and it works.
And after i tested with ocs rom 2.04 (amiga500+) and it works too !!
the only problem in all of them is that you can't see the animation with the helicopter but you can hear the music and if you push the joy button the game continue and seems works well.
You only need 2 meg of chip ram.
But in the whdload version of jungle strike cd32 the ocean logo is not there at the beginning but if i launch an iso it's there. Perhaps it's different version or the guy who did the slave cute the ocean logo screen ?????

AKira you saw the whload cd32 version of jungle strike or you saw a whdload a1200 version but without the ocean logo.
Old 31 October 2013, 05:33   #14
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Galahad : thanks for the precision. This one is really wired because I can't see the point of releasing a game as AGA only and doing so, leaving off the market of ECS amiga owners... At least Jungle Strike, Burning Rubber and Jungle Strike had an ECS version.

yes, james pond 3 lacks parallax those which have megadrive and snes versions...seems this is a ECS version
when you start this game in ECS+2mb says james pond 3 amiga 1200 and freezes
I think if anyone bypass this treat the game could run on ECS

this treat is something like runing 0S3.9 on kickstart 3.0, developers no let OS39 work in kick 3.0 only for marketing purposes, but in this case you can hack it bypass it easily
Old 31 October 2013, 05:44   #15
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
i just tested jungle strike cd32 version whdload with the a1200 3.1 rom but with ecs and it works.
And after i tested with ocs rom 2.04 (amiga500+) and it works too !!
the only problem in all of them is that you can't see the animation with the helicopter but you can hear the music and if you push the joy button the game continue and seems works well.
You only need 2 meg of chip ram.
But in the whdload version of jungle strike cd32 the ocean logo is not there at the beginning but if i launch an iso it's there. Perhaps it's different version or the guy who did the slave cute the ocean logo screen ?????

AKira you saw the whload cd32 version of jungle strike or you saw a whdload a1200 version but without the ocean logo.
tested another jungle strike AGA version, a hardisk version trained by Tension
it works, intro+game both perfect on ECS
Old 31 October 2013, 06:11   #16
s2325
Zone Friend

some info from Irfan View:
Jungle Strike ECS/OCS 24 colors
2MB RAM 24 colors
CD32 24 colors
Old 31 October 2013, 08:38   #17
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
But I remember seeing an ECS version of Jungle Strike. Was I tripping?
No.
http://hol.abime.net/822/boxscan

In TOSEC, it should be the [cr TRD] version.

Compare (the requirement sticker on the box) with the so-called AGA version:
http://hol.abime.net/823/boxscan
Old 31 October 2013, 09:04   #18
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I am pretty sure the dual playfield mode makes it an AGA game. Doesn't look like an ECS game, nit only the number of colors meas AGA
I thought dual playfield serve to have background...and there isn't any in JPIII (some pixels figurating stars...) ! Anyway, there is games with dual playfield on ECS... Do you really think JPIII could push the A500 to its limits ?

If Bubble and Squeak work propoerly on ECS with the same black blackground, I can't see why JPIII couldn't.
Old 31 October 2013, 12:34   #19
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
James Pond III amiga is a quick and dirty port of the genesis version. No more, no less.
Old 31 October 2013, 13:26   #20
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
James Pond III amiga is a quick and dirty port of the genesis version. No more, no less.
That doesn't mean it would still work on an ECS machine. Someone with in-depth Amiga knowledge should answer best, but number of colours, parallax and shit like that are not the ONLY defining reasons why a production might be AGA only. Size of sprites, blitter capabilities, no idea. There COULD be reasons why. Guessing is just pointless. All I say is that JPII IDOES look like it could be benefiting from the upgraded A1200 hardware.

Genesis conversions are not always possible straight to ECS ("quick and dirty"), but on the A1200 they were more feasible (reason why Aladdin and Lion King are in AGA)

So what is the difference between 1MB Jungle Strike and 2MB Jungle Strike? Why would they make two versions if they are identical? Is it a scam?