English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 October 2001, 21:11   #1
Drake1009

What to do when your harddisk is being a pain in the a**

*sigh* My harddisk just did it to me again. I asked it to put together a file from 2 pieces split up. And it started working. Problem is that it didn't feel like stopping again. It just kept going and going and going and going and going and...well you get the idea. The only way out I saw was the Amiga-Amiga-CTRL combination. Last couple of times I tried this this step caused me to get an invalidated partition, and that's understandable. This time I think I might get it working without formatting. It says it has a checksum error, but at least it doesn't throw an invalid drive message at me.

But for future reference. If your drive starts running and it just doesn't want to stop. What can you do to minimize damage or completely prevent damage to files?
Old 03 October 2001, 21:27   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I have used ARTM (Amiga Real Time Monitor) to freeze the process, then just wait for disk activity to finish and reboot. Of course you must be able to start new programs
Old 03 October 2001, 21:32   #3
Drake1009

ARTM? Hmmm maybe I should try using that. At some point I'm going to low level format that disk and see if there are any bad clusters which might cause it to behave like this. It always seem to be on the same partition too.

Well thanks for the advice I'll look into that and hope that it'll do what is needed. As for starting new programs. Well I was able to browse around on the drive while it was going. I didn't check for files though.
Old 03 October 2001, 21:48   #4
Amiga1992

Well, it's quite strange that your drive just keeps on going ad-infinitum, so maybe there's something wrong with it.

Something else that comes to mind, break the current process. I suppose you ran it from the CLI so just issue a Break command (Ctrl-C or D?), and if that fails, just force-break the frigging process (use 'Status full' to check in which process your proggy is running, and then send a 'break #processnumber')

Of course you will have to do this from a new CLI window, or you would have to issue the first command with a run statement. I always use to RUN my programs
Old 03 October 2001, 22:23   #5
Drake1009

Well I'm going to low level format it as soon as I get all my data which is still on that physical drive transported to my PC for safekeeping. Maybe the problem is a bad block being hit which sends it into that. I want to have it repartitioned anyway.

As for the run command? I don't think I've ever seen that. Execute maybe, but never run. The program was run by double clicking a file and just filling in the nescesary command in front of the filename and the appropriate arguments.

I've got to try to remember those break commands for next time it does that on me. Maybe it'll save me a reformat.

BTW. There are different ways you can format your partitions (filesystem etc) right? Could anyone give a little info on the different options?