English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 16 August 2022, 15:30   #121
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Tsak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@Tsak

Not necessarily a fair comparison. I remember reading an amiga mag back then when Aladdin was released and the engine is the one used for Cool Spot, just updated for AGA. Not a great base to build upon imo.
Well, I'm not sure what they could have done differently. The port seems quite decent and does seem to make use of Amiga hardware (i.e. it doesn't feel to be a lazy-ass job at all). There might be room for improvements still, but given what's missing I very much doubt if a 100% rendition (or better) would be possible. Current version has no sprite huds (which makes the viewport shorter due to the upper bar), has no background parallax, less objects on-screen (f.e. several effects like the sand footprints are missing from later levels), it's less wide (I guess this was to help frame rate and also to free up all 8 sprites - duh...btw another stupid thing with AGA sprites), plus the game runs at 25fps.

Given these differences, I'm not sure if anyone would have been able to rectify all the above at the same time, even with a superior engine. Perhaps if they used dual playfield? Not sure as well.

So, my argument still remains. It seems -at best- you could only barely manage to match the Mega Drive version. And given the Mega Drive does all this (primarily) thanks to it's superior sprite abilities I feel the title of this thread is very much justified. Especially when it comes to AGA.
Tsak is offline  
Old 16 August 2022, 17:15   #122
Tigerskunk
Tigerskunk!

Tigerskunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Amiga Island
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Well, I'm not sure what they could have done differently. The port seems quite decent and does seem to make use of Amiga hardware (i.e. it doesn't feel to be a lazy-ass job at all). There might be room for improvements still, but given what's missing I very much doubt if a 100% rendition (or better) would be possible. Current version has no sprite huds (which makes the viewport shorter due to the upper bar), has no background parallax, less objects on-screen (f.e. several effects like the sand footprints are missing from later levels), it's less wide (I guess this was to help frame rate and also to free up all 8 sprites - duh...btw another stupid thing with AGA sprites), plus the game runs at 25fps.

Given these differences, I'm not sure if anyone would have been able to rectify all the above at the same time, even with a superior engine. Perhaps if they used dual playfield? Not sure as well.

So, my argument still remains. It seems -at best- you could only barely manage to match the Mega Drive version. And given the Mega Drive does all this (primarily) thanks to it's superior sprite abilities I feel the title of this thread is very much justified. Especially when it comes to AGA.
That game's a weird one, tbh.

Seems to me almost perfect for an AGA port, because objects are usually not many but big.

If this is not dual playfield, how was the background layer done?
Tigerskunk is offline  
Old 16 August 2022, 20:23   #123
Torti-the-Smurf
Registered User

Torti-the-Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 558
I just say..LIONHEART ... sure, it is not sprite firework, but god damn, just show me hardware from 1985 that also can do that

Or the Tunnels in StarDust XD .. Ohh boy.. They are more examples,But ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE

(besides SEGA´s super scalers; they where not available for normal consumers)

I LOVED the AMIGA , always will
Torti-the-Smurf is offline  
Old 16 August 2022, 20:41   #124
roondar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
That game's a weird one, tbh.

Seems to me almost perfect for an AGA port, because objects are usually not many but big.

If this is not dual playfield, how was the background layer done?
Half the reason it runs at 25Hz is that the background layer seems to be done in a rather bit blit (if you check in WinUAE you see one frame with a gigantic blit even when nothing is going on and one with a fairly small amount - the latter is the objects I think). Seems to run in 6 bitplanes, 64 colours.
roondar is offline  
Old 17 August 2022, 00:03   #125
vulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Athens , Greece
Posts: 1,473
@Tsak

not exactly a rush job, but yes, they could've used dual playfield, use sprites for the characters and blit smaller stuff like throwing apples etc. Aladdin is still very enjoyable as it is mind you, I'm not saying it's crap or anything.
vulture is offline  
Old 24 September 2022, 23:38   #126
Photon
Moderator

Photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Eksjö / Sweden
Posts: 5,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
...
@ImmortalA1000: You are very opinionated, and what you say does not check out against facts.

No available computer had better sprites than Amiga in 1985-1992, and probably for a few years to come. I think you are confusing a computer for consoles and arcades.

Coders in Europe and USA wrote much better games than anywhere else in this era. In Asia, not only were coders plagiaristic, refusing to innovate at all cost, they took no part in any computer scene at all. That's why no Japanese games were sold for (insert every computer ever sold until 1992, and probably beyond).

Exceptions (and also not exceptions): Mass Tael Ltd. were great for Spectravideo and MSX, were based in Hong Kong. Konami supported a computer, but added sound and blitter in carts (and no sprite flicker fix of the 1979 TI-99/4A chip also used in NES).

So for the sprite chip question you need to find a computer that had a better one (we can basically extend it to 1970-2022).

Your "regional coder" opinion really is off the mark and you will have to show a bunch of great computer games titles from 1985-1992. With the wisdom of hindsight, we already know there were few coder teams in Japan, and they all worked at a console company and when the console got its hardware upgraded automatically they could do more with their sprites. That's not what being a good coder means.

That said both OCS and AGA have powerful sprites, and being a good coder is about good ideas and applying them to the hardware, and I'm sure good games can still be coded to take advantage of some great applications of it.
Photon is offline  
Old 25 September 2022, 04:33   #127
dreadnought
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ur, Atlantis
Posts: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Coders in Europe and USA wrote much better games than anywhere else in this era. In Asia, not only were coders plagiaristic, refusing to innovate at all cost, they took no part in any computer scene at all. That's why no Japanese games were sold for (insert every computer ever sold until 1992, and probably beyond).
Sorry, but this is ridiculous on several levels. There were heaps of innovative Japanese games that started life on their computers, which there were plenty of. Eg NECs PC-8801 game library is huge. Entire genres such as action role playing or RTS were kickstarted there. And MSX was a hotbed of innovation too, far more than just one company. Starting in 1983 it had a stream of super fun and innovative games that later on trickled to consoles and also microcomputers as re-releases. The key early player here was Hudson. I played their games on ZX Spectrum, not knowing that, for example, the humble Eric and the Floaters is in fact world-famous Bomberman.



Then there is a small matter of X68000 with its custom sprite chip and arcade like performance which was unthinkable for any other computer at the time, Amiga included.
dreadnought is offline  
Old 25 September 2022, 04:34   #128
Rotareneg
Registered User
Rotareneg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 278
I guess the X68000 doesn't count then because it's Asian or something? WTF?

*edit* Ah, dreadnought beat me to it by a minute. *edit*
Rotareneg is offline  
Old 25 September 2022, 08:47   #129
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post

No available computer had better sprites than Amiga in 1985-1992, and probably for a few years to come. I think you are confusing a computer for consoles and arcades.
Not sure: if we consider the features like expansion then C64 sprites had more features than the Amiga ones; they were limited at 24x21 and not 16x screen height but those things can make a difference in some cases, like think how less sprites you would have used for parallax
saimon69 is online now  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Specification for A1200 Caps Lock LED? rikbliz support.Hardware 7 20 January 2013 00:59
A1200 mechanical specification whitebird support.Hardware 3 14 July 2011 00:46
resload_LoadFileDecrunch called with illegal file specification rare_j project.WHDLoad 4 25 November 2009 22:31
Specification/docs/example code for A-Max .amhd drivers? mark_k Coders. General 3 14 June 2007 17:52

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.07898 seconds with 15 queries