English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 November 2015, 11:03   #21
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Nope, that was Steve Screech's project.
Kick off 3 was also his solo project and that sucked hard.
I just tried Kick Off 3 properly for the very first time (the AGA version) yesterday. And I have to admit, it's actually wasted potential to be good fun. It didn't control so bad, a little polishing and it could be a decent alternative to other side-scrolling football games on the Amiga.
Old 18 November 2015, 19:34   #22
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
I just tried Kick Off 3 properly for the very first time (the AGA version) yesterday. And I have to admit, it's actually wasted potential to be good fun. It didn't control so bad, a little polishing and it could be a decent alternative to other side-scrolling football games on the Amiga.
Well there is a crapload of awful sidescrolling football games on Amiga (John Barnes European Football on CD32 anyone ;-) ) and its possible KO3 wasn't among the worst.. still dont think I played any side scrollers on Amiga that were better than Emelyn Hughes on C64 ;-)
Old 22 November 2015, 09:48   #23
JudasEZT

Would be interesing to see what DinoDini can create for dual shock controllers.

The controls of Goal!! is the best ever for Joystick controllers, in what respect of football games.

Sensible Soccer controls are a not too rich copy of KickOff succeed elements. More like a high speed Subbuteo game than a Football simulator.

This also can be said in what respect of strategies and the disposal of players on the pitch.
Old 23 November 2015, 17:09   #24
Fiery Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Can´t agree. Goal! is perfect to me, it´s my favourite alltime game. Don´t know, why Kick Off has so many fans more or even Sensible Soccer. I sometimes try to get acope with those nasty controls of KO2, but quickly get back to Goal! where everything is smooth and the way it should be.
Agreed - Goal! is up there in my all time fave lists (and defo my fave football game on the Amiga) and I am speaking as someone who played Kick Off, Kick Off 2 and Sensi (among others) to death and was also pretty decent at all of them (not anymore sadly)

As already mentioned, Goal! controls were excellent - I can see the point about the auto shooting in the 6 yard box - but overall it is my fave. Zoomed in / zoomed out, vertical or horizontal - I always played zoomed in and vertical

Plus I wonder if Shahid Ahmad who the article states is Sony's Director of Strategic Content is the same person who was a coder back in the day? (he did JSW conversion on the C64)
Old 23 November 2015, 17:43   #25
eXeler0

Well... what we personally prefer is no point to argue, we like what we like.. but if you look globally and historically...
Kick Off 2 lived on in yearly tournaments.. has a global following.. and now it gets a resurrection on modern platforms.. Kick Off 2, not Goal!
Make of that what you like ;-)
Old 24 June 2016, 23:10   #26
spudje

This has been released today for 10 euro on PS4. Bought it (well got it from my GF) and played it for a second. It's an OK game for the price. Controls are very similar to the original. However the game is very limited, no settings, only single game, online game and Euro2016 and it somehow feels a bit rushed and beta state. But still, fun enough for its price.

But I do hope sociable soccer will feel much more like a complete game.
Old 26 June 2016, 00:31   #27
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
This has been released today for 10 euro on PS4. Bought it (well got it from my GF) and played it for a second. It's an OK game for the price. Controls are very similar to the original. However the game is very limited, no settings, only single game, online game and Euro2016 and it somehow feels a bit rushed and beta state. But still, fun enough for its price.

But I do hope sociable soccer will feel much more like a complete game.
I don't have a PS4 (yet) but its possible they rushed it out to "ride on the Euro 2016" wave, but will surely be patched into a more complete game in hte future... or?
Old 26 June 2016, 09:21   #28
Baboon
Moon Monkey

I bought it on Friday (physical release) and traded it in yesterday. Possibly the worst ps4 game I've ever played!! There are no options at all, terrible music, the graphics of the crowd etc look rubbish and more like a flash game, no red or yellow cards, no instructions and the controls are awful. It was just not fun to play.

Seriously disappointed.

I was hoping it would be more like Natural Soccer that came out last year [ Show youtube player ]. ..But no, it's just an incomplete mess that feels more like an alpha build.

Edit: Checking reviews online the highest scores i could find have been 3/10 and most giving it 1 or 2/10 reviews so I'm not the only one to think this is a turkey. Gutted.

It makes me wonder how did this get past quality control to become an actual release??

Last edited by Baboon; 26 June 2016 at 09:50.
Old 26 June 2016, 16:02   #29
eXeler0

@Baboon sad to hear.. one has to wonder why go through the trouble of re-releasing one of the all time great classics and handle it with a butcher knife.
If it's as bad as you say, Dino Dino should have a Damn Good explanation for why he took a dump all over the franchise...
To what end?

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 28 June 2016, 13:11   #30
Fiery Phoenix

I wanted this to be sooo good. Love Goal! and Kick Off 2 (been playing it a lot recently)

However the reviews are shocking - they may not know the history of the game and the controls that take a whole to master, but this is rushed released game to capitalise on the Euro's.

No bookings, no replay's, no edit option, limited options and apparently woeful keeper AI.

Yes, patches may be out later to fix these, but you lose the goodwill of the people when you release what appears to be an unfinished game.

Sony probably put the pressure on DD for the release, but there is no doubt about it, it looks like a major disappointment
Old 28 June 2016, 15:23   #31
spudje

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems that if you tackle a player of your own squad you get a free kick....
Old 28 June 2016, 17:24   #32
eXeler0

It wouldn't exactly be the first time a publisher wants to rush things out and the game fails miserably.
And it will happen many times again of course, because it's simple to reason like a publisher.
Oh its a football game, if it's not out for the Euros, it won't sell..
Release it now or we kill the project...
And then they hope ppl rush out and buy the game ... Umm.. before the reviews come in?

Dino Dini should know better by now, don't you think?
If this was what it came down to, maybe he should have done what Frontier Developments did with Elite Dangerous and charged ppl for playing a beta and then continue working on it...

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 28 June 2016, 17:32   #33
Amiga1992

It looks absolutely terrible
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 June 2016, 18:15   #34
lolafg

Well ,

to my point of view the first error was to make the game only for PS4 and PS Vita , a PC game would have been a better choice as everyone has a PC...

Second error was to make a game between Goal! and KO2 wich are really different and here is the result.

I really think that Dino Dini has a lot of talent and that he can do a much better game than this one....
Old 28 June 2016, 19:31   #35
emufan

there is [he has] a live feed on twitch right now.
he is kinda coding on [the] game/website, or something else

ps: never saw him before, but this is Dino Dini himself, right ?

--> it is Dino himself, talking about his game and things.

Last edited by emufan; 28 June 2016 at 21:49.
Old 28 June 2016, 21:43   #36
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
I really think that Dino Dini has a lot of talent and that he can do a much better game than this one....
He basically made one game his entire career, I wouldn't say he has a "lot of talent" if he keeps trying to churn out version after version of the same idea he had in the 80s. So this game comes as no surprise, it's just another one of those lame cash-in attempts.