English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 29 September 2022, 22:24   #61
msmalik681

If I can separate player parts I can save graphics data that is wasted on dead pixels.

Old 29 September 2022, 23:30   #62
jotd
This cat is no more

that's the most annoying part of a fighting game: character "compression" and also collision masks (you have to create some hit zones and some invincible zones else if for example you get punched in the leg you're attacking with, you're hit...).

There's a good reverse of SF2 collision system around. It's a lot of work to input such data.

not to mention the A.I. that you have to reverse more or less faithfully or the game isn't going to look like the original. A fighting game is never a piece of cake, even with Scorpion, because the hard part is the logic, not the basic blitting or animations.

Personally after I'm done with Karate Champ (if I can make it work) I'll take a vacation redoing Pengo or Phoenix or some other very simple game...
Old 01 October 2022, 19:36   #63
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

In case something goes very wrong here is a plan B for you: is indeed a different approach but if well done can wield excellent results
Snk vs Capcom for C64
Old 01 October 2022, 19:43   #64
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
In case something goes very wrong here is a plan B for you: is indeed a different approach but if well done can wield excellent results
Snk vs Capcom for C64
That looks so good
Old 01 October 2022, 20:03   #65
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

This C64 game is really cute
Old 03 October 2022, 11:41   #66
msmalik681

Quote:
Snk vs Capcom for C64
wow I had no idea the C64 could make such great fighting games nice work. I can't really help as I know nothing about low level coding.

I have started a github repo for this project: https://github.com/msmalik681/street_fighter_1_amiga as a update I now have all of ryu's moved completed but the game is almost hitting 1mb with just ryu so I am going to try to separate the upper and lower body see if that can cut down the size might have to start cutting down the animation frames too.
Old 03 October 2022, 13:23   #67
str0m

It's a port/based on/looks same as the Neo Geo Pocket Color game which is an excellent game https://cheapergamer.co.uk/snk-vs-ca...ennium-review/
Old 03 October 2022, 22:13   #68
alain.treesong
Aghnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmalik681 View Post
I have started a github repo for this project: https://github.com/msmalik681/street_fighter_1_amiga as a update I now have all of ryu's moved completed but the game is almost hitting 1mb with just ryu so I am going to try to separate the upper and lower body see if that can cut down the size might have to start cutting down the animation frames too.
Maybe what I was talking about in some previous messages is more obvious now ? ;-)
You cannot have a lot of frames (so nice movements) with only 512Ko of chip in 16 colours screen. You have to use dual playfield (moreover with dual playfield you can have 50 fps)
With 1mb chip memory, it is more possible but a standard Amiga 500 has only 512kb.
With characters in 16 colors, why not doing a 1200 conversion (2mb of chip) ?

Thanks for the git repository.
Old 04 October 2022, 00:15   #69
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alain.treesong View Post
Maybe what I was talking about in some previous messages is more obvious now ? ;-)
You cannot have a lot of frames (so nice movements) with only 512Ko of chip in 16 colours screen. You have to use dual playfield (moreover with dual playfield you can have 50 fps)
With 1mb chip memory, it is more possible but a standard Amiga 500 has only 512kb.

Well, problem is Scorpion doesn't support dual playfield (yet). Other than that he might be able to squeeze them -regardless- if he starts cropping them as suggested. If that's not enought then going full modular might do the trick, however this is also not fully supported yet (might be soon though).
Old 04 October 2022, 12:21   #70
acidbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Well, problem is Scorpion doesn't support dual playfield (yet).
Are you saying that this feature is being seriously considered now I know earok has covered this before and at the time wasn't planning on it. Id love dual playfield implemented of course!
Old 04 October 2022, 14:46   #71
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
Are you saying that this feature is being seriously considered now I know earok has covered this before and at the time wasn't planning on it. Id love dual playfield implemented of course!
Well, I have recently suggested this to Erik and he's definitely considering to add it at some point. But hasn't since it's not a major requested feature by the community.
Old 04 October 2022, 17:52   #72
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:

I would try to recreate as much animations as possible with double body, you know like being hit, you can have the upper part move a bit instead of another frame, same with some of the kicks

By the way i wonder: if he store the characters in seven colors might be able to save some RAM?
Old 04 October 2022, 21:11   #73
alain.treesong
Aghnar

Quote:
I would try to recreate as much animations as possible with double body, you know like being hit, you can have the upper part move a bit instead of another frame, same with some of the kicks

By the way i wonder: if he store the characters in seven colors might be able to save some RAM?
You mean that the characters are 2*8 different colors (including one transparent) ? On the disk you save some bytes but in RAM 4 bitplanes are used so you don't save some RAM.

For the disk it can be a good idea. Because there is another difficulties : how many disks (and disk swap and time loading) for this kind of game on a standard 500 and how to optimize that.

So, as pointed @jotd, it is difficult to code a good playability but for the 500 the technical thing is quite difficult too :-)

Difficult, but interesting
Old 04 October 2022, 21:33   #74
msmalik681

right now I am not targeting anything I just want to get the base of the game working then I will look into optimisations the obvious one being sprite size reduction. And yes reducing the colour count does reduce the used ram quite considerably but that is future talk.

just for feedback does anyone on this forum actually use a 512kb amiga I think targeting 1mb might be a better option but that kind of kills the whole point of this little test of mine.
Old 04 October 2022, 21:51   #75
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
You mean that the characters are 2*8 different colors (including one transparent) ? On the disk you save some bytes but in RAM 4 bitplanes are used so you don't save some RAM.

For the disk it can be a good idea. Because there is another difficulties : how many disks (and disk swap and time loading) for this kind of game on a standard 500 and how to optimize that.

So, as pointed @jotd, it is difficult to code a good playability but for the 500 the technical thing is quite difficult too :-)

Difficult, but interesting
OK, the Tiertex version did suck but they put all of the characters and half the backgrounds in one disk at 16 colors, so a two disk version should be feasible on paper - with reduced assets of course

AND Final Fight was running in a 512k(!) amiga, as bad as it is was a miracle, i wonder if some optimization could be possible.
Maybe not in Scorpion, though

Last edited by saimon69; 04 October 2022 at 22:04.
Old 04 October 2022, 22:06   #76
msmalik681

At the moment im working with arcade size sprites and arcade size backgrounds the 16 colors does help but might have to do some heavy frame cutting just for a 1mb version.
Old 04 October 2022, 22:25   #77
alain.treesong
Aghnar

Quote:
just for feedback does anyone on this forum actually use a 512kb amiga I think targeting 1mb might be a better option but that kind of kills the whole point of this little test of mine.
Quote:
At the moment im working with arcade size sprites and arcade size backgrounds the 16 colors does help but might have to do some heavy frame cutting just for a 1mb version.
If you do it for an amiga with 1mega chip, it's a 500+ or a 600. It's not really OCS...
At that time, might as well do something for the 1200. At least there are 2 megachips as standard and many people had a hard disk (it was a shame not to have sold a hard disk systematically in 1993) which will make the game more enjoyable and give an idea of what might have come out.
In addition you will have 50 fps easy and you can make the scenery in 16 separate colors (so the game will be in 32 colors while waiting for the dual playfield, which is 16x16 on the AGA). In fact you can use directly the original backgrounds (at least the front)
Very personal opinion of course :-)
Old 04 October 2022, 22:28   #78
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
The most common Amiga 500 configuration is 512k Chip + 512k Slow ram. Plain 512k Amigas has stopped being a thing since the early 90s, where (almost) every major game released required an additional 512k. So since then 512+512k has been considered a standard.

Now, if your question is about CHIP ram only then this is a different story. A500+ and A600 came with a solid 1MB for Chip but this is a rather uncommon configuration for plain a500s.

As for recent times, I've never (ever) seen anyone using unexpanded 512k Amigas or even asking for games that support this config.
Old 04 October 2022, 22:48   #79
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
As for recent times, I've never (ever) seen anyone using unexpanded 512k Amigas or even asking for games that support this config.
Blocky Skies was available for the unexpanded A500, made by Alpine9000 in 2016, you can check with him
Old 04 October 2022, 23:01   #80
mcgeezer

Quote:
Blocky Skies was available for the unexpanded A500, made by Alpine9000 in 2016, you can check with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsak View Post
"As for recent times, I've never (ever) seen anyone using unexpanded 512k Amigas or even asking for games that support this config."
But we do it anyway because as developers we understand the boundary of what was possible when the Amiga was mainstream. This is what makes the gamedev a challenge on the Amiga.

Last edited by mcgeezer; 04 October 2022 at 23:03. Reason: Apologies, I quoted the wrong message.