English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 25 December 2004, 19:32   #21
CRiMSON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaeo
If you can remember how to handle the logoff script, please let me know. I've been through the guide. I distinctly remember the logoff-file's 'script' flag had to be set, but how the script itself is worded, I don't know. Tried many things. I don't see an MCI command to run, say, SAmilog directly:

BBS:Utils/SAmilog -U"0"
In your node dir, put a logoff.script with
SAmiLog -U"1" -O"BBS:Node1/Bull100.Txt.Gr" -ON"BBS:Node1/Bull100.Txt"
in it..
Try to hexview express and you'll discover forgotten commands and options..
Old 25 December 2004, 21:20   #22
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

Funny you should say that, cos I did exactly that. FileX is now freeware wuhoo! ...as for the samilog thing I managed to get it working. Well, one minute it was screwed, the next it was fine, no idea what changed, but it works. And about ten minutes ago I transferred it all over to my real Amiga and (possibly) got the modem working. Waiting on a friend now, to test it out. If it connects and sends/receives data correctly I'll possibly be the only AmiExpress dialup bbs in the UK.

I dunno if that's sad or what hehe
Old 02 January 2005, 10:22   #23
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolescent
FAME was released a few years ago as freeware by it's original author Strider. Unfortunately, he stopped development and has hung up his Amiga. There are/were rummors with the pending release of OS4 that he might do an update (PPC) version but I don't think there was enough interest.
Where did you get this info? I've been looking for ages. I've found the main FAME site, still being updated for other issues than the BBS software, but there's no mention of it being freeware. Had a good Google as well, but came up with nothing.

Edit: Nevermind I found the link:

http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=%...d.zip&fileinfo

Wuhoo!

Last edited by Chaeo; 02 January 2005 at 13:12.
Old 02 January 2005, 23:42   #24
CRiMSON!

Quote:
Waiting on a friend now, to test it out. If it connects and sends/receives data correctly I'll possibly be the only AmiExpress dialup bbs in the UK.
Try to make it telnet connectable, so you can give out the right telnet configs .
Old 03 January 2005, 12:23   #25
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

I've been through bunch of BBS software recently, it's pretty much overtaken my Christmas and left me in a foul mood lol but I didn't have much luck with AmiExpress. When my new 30m of ethernet cable arrives tomorrow I'll hook my Amiga up permenantly and try again. SystemX works best with telnetd, FAME is giving me a hard time by not creating conferences correctly, but it shows me some settings that might fix the AmiExpress telnet problems I've been having. I think the internal /X upload protocol is screwed, compared to newer bbs software. Anyway, ignore my ramblings. If I get it going I'll be sticking it all on here:

http://amiexpress.skywalk.co.uk/

And this is an odd question, but when I see your name I think CRiMSON!/JIHAD
Does that mean anything to you? Just something I remember from way back.
Old 03 January 2005, 14:52   #26
XrAyZ

Send a message via MSN to XrAyZ
its been a long time since ive checked back here about my original /x post back in 2002, but soon after that i did manage to get /x and get it up and running under winuae, also i was able to telnet into it , and get everything working apart from a few doors. but over the 2 years since have lost all the files, and prob forgot what i did to get it working, i know i had to add telnetd.device or something to one of the .info files cant remember which..

chaeo ive looked at your /x site nice , i too used to call Digital Candy way back many many years ago, looking at your site has set me off again and guess what ive just downloaded fame bbs , and will prob spend the next few weeks setting it up under winuae as i no longer have a real amiga.. WHY i want to do this is beyond me, but what the hell beats watching TV...
Old 03 January 2005, 16:54   #27
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Omar only went for 6 nodes on ringdown since Arcadia beat him to it with 5 nodes and ringdown 2 years before him!!!

AmiExpress was around in 11/1990 when Arcadia started in UK (and was on v1.0e).. Omar and Digital Candy were relative latecomers and unfortunately he had a bad rep for screwing people over the dodgy AT&T cards he sold.

I'd be interested if anyone does get /X setup under WinUAE. I could be tempted to put the "infamous" BBS I have on CD here back up for nostalgic purposes!!!
Old 03 January 2005, 22:11   #28
CRiMSON!

Quote:
And this is an odd question, but when I see your name I think CRiMSON!/JIHAD
Does that mean anything to you? Just something I remember from way back.
i've seen that before somewhere, but it was a long time before I changed my nick to CRiMSON!.. also I was never in JIHAD .On the amiga scene my nick was [-lEPRoSY!]
Here http://www.consolia.com/id4.html are some old logon screens of my board
Anyway, I need help with setup the telnet thingies. I've bought Amiga forever with built-in tcp, /X fame or tempest runs smootly *local* but hanging it on a telnet device seems hard work for me, since I haven't touched an amiga in years now. So some examples to setup the nodes correctly would be nice (if somebody would take the time for it fcoz)

Last edited by CRiMSON!; 03 January 2005 at 22:19.
Old 04 January 2005, 17:03   #29
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

The interest in this is pretty cool, just like the old days I'm still waiting on my 30m of cable to get the Amiga back online, it should come tomorrow, then I have to find the time to lay it (on nightshift at the moment) then get back into the configuring stuff.

I'm already seeing a possible problem for winuae users - if you're using that inbuilt thing (bsdsocket.library?) - I don't know how that works. I only know about configuring AmiTCP/Genesis/Miami - since you have to make adjustments to things like /services /db and inetd.

Anyway, before I get all my gear back together, you may want to look at

http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/amin...s/rbt-tlnt.lha

Which basically follows the same idea. The doc that comes with it refers to 'db' as 'bd' though, in case anyone wonders.

This old beauty has had a revamp as well. Supposed to be netready:

http://www.mindnever.org/daydreamnt/index.html#features

But this is the file that was circulating round the BBS's years ago, that got
me interested originally:

www.aqvx97.dsl.pipex.com/amitcp.zip

Seems to be missing a required .info file (for AmiExpress) that goes in your
nodex/modem directory. Call the info file whatever you want. This is no doubt the part that trips amiexpress up and makes it fail to work with telnet correctly, or my original assumption was correct - that the internal zmodem protocol in /X is screwed. For modem settings, you could try copying the details from the iff in that AmiNet file (way above) or try using Fame's v2.8 settings:

MODEM.INIT=ATM0S0=0 (those are zero's)
MODEM.RESET=ATZ
MODEM.ANSWER=ATA
MODEM.RING=RING
MODEM.OFFHOOK=ATH1M0

As I say, that may or may not work.

http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/pub/amin...s/DC-X107i.lha

System-X by Digital Corruption works well if you replace serial.device with
telnetd.device and adjust your AmiTCP db/inetd settings + telnetd.device-conf. Problem with SX is, is that if you connect to it it says 'welcome...etc...you are connected...etc' all on one line. My mate discovered that it sends the incorrect carriage return stuff back to you. After login the output is fine. But a messy connect message doesn't look good to me.
I haven't tried Fame yet, but the configuring of that should be the same as SX.

Hope this made sense. Just woke.

@Crimson: Those are some nice ascii. The very heart of a BBS

Edit: Well, those modem settings don't work with AmiExpress. Damn it. There is a door called XPR for /X that lets you use external libraries (xprzmodem...) but I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited by Chaeo; 05 January 2005 at 21:53.
Old 07 January 2005, 15:22   #30
CRiMSON!

Well I dont know either how that built-in device works with winuae.. I'm trying fame (on CD) now, looks also very nice (easier to config) but winuae crashes al the time when I've upgraded it to the latest version. Anyway thanks Chaeo (how do you pronounce that? ) for the infoos!
Old 07 January 2005, 16:59   #31
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

Chaeo: Kay-Oh.

Something like that
It's definitely not 'chow' or 'keyhole' though

I'm having trouble with FAME myself. The SystemEditor is failing to save conferences. I can create them, but it won't save em :/ Been trying for hours
to get AmiExpress working with telnetd.device, still no go. I have a fear I'll been giving up on it. Although I'm not against having a demo /X BBS running where people can't upload, at least until it can be fixed. I think downloading is okay.
Old 07 January 2005, 17:52   #32
XrAyZ

Send a message via MSN to XrAyZ
chaoe, are you running telnetd. im sure i got /x running on winuae, i had to install a real tcp stack like amitcp then run telnetd , which intercepted the telnet connects and turns them into fake modem calls

http://ftp.plig.org/pub/aminet/comm/tcp/telnetd2_0.lha

hope this helps
ps.. im having probs upgrading fame to the latest version from fame on cd
Old 07 January 2005, 23:52   #33
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

Just got in from work, I'll check your link later thanks. I am using telnetd at the moment, but there does seem to be a few of them on AmiNet. Hopefully something works.

Fame: There's some .lha files in the update drawer, I think you basically ignore them and just copy over the unlha'd stuff. Like SystemEditor/Server (from personal registered folder). They are both 2.8, version check them if needbe. Thing is, when you go to run server (for me anyway) it says that SystemEditor is no 2.8 "Can't run fame, shutting down!" - but it is 2.8, so I dunno. Anyway, I added a tooltype to the server, NOVERCHECK or something. LikeI say though, just got in so I'll look into it later. Version check all Fame.library's in that archive as well, copy the newest one to your libs.

Edit: Fixed my mistake above.- Where to copy update files from - personalregistered folder.

Last edited by Chaeo; 08 January 2005 at 03:55.
Old 08 January 2005, 07:17   #34
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

Hopefully this is half-working now. Telnet (23) to:

bbs.skywalk.co.uk

No upload available yet though.

Last edited by Chaeo; 09 January 2005 at 17:56.
Old 08 January 2005, 20:57   #35
CRiMSON!

Quote:
Hopefully this is half-working now. Telnet (23) to:

chaeo.dyndns.org

No upload available yet though.
Wooah yes its working, very nice to logon on a /X board after 10 years now hehe..
Now I *MUST* have my own board again
Old 08 January 2005, 22:36   #36
CRiMSON!

YES!!! its working now, I got /X 4.7 with 3 telnetnodes working so far, on a PC running winUAE!!
Tomorrow I gonna spent some time in configuring /X to the max
I'll let ya also know what adress it will be to connect.. this make me happy!
Old 08 January 2005, 23:46   #37
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

Great news I've been tearing my hair out this afternoon trying to get the upload thing working. It's just a no-go. Tried another telnet-daemon, and retried telser using different settings. Almost worked, but ends up in data errors during transfer. So I'm all out of ideas. The other BBS's I've spoken of before, the ones currently online running Fame and Tempest - they have the same problems. Small files seem to transfer easily, but this is 2005 and files can be huge, and AmiExpress just dies with it. Fame starts, then gives up. It's a shame really.
Old 09 January 2005, 02:00   #38
CRiMSON!

Quote:
Great news I've been tearing my hair out this afternoon trying to get the upload thing working. It's just a no-go. Tried another telnet-daemon, and retried telser using different settings. Almost worked, but ends up in data errors during transfer. So I'm all out of ideas. The other BBS's I've spoken of before, the ones currently online running Fame and Tempest - they have the same problems. Small files seem to transfer easily, but this is 2005 and files can be huge, and AmiExpress just dies with it. Fame starts, then gives up. It's a shame really.
I've heard there's a special protocol for telnet, but can't remember the name for it, shall look it up
Old 09 January 2005, 16:52   #39
CRiMSON!

uploading works fine, but selecting more as 100 files in a batch will crash it
Old 09 January 2005, 17:07   #40
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

I bet that's a local upload though. A telnet connection upload won't :/ Unless WinUae is kinder to the BBS.