English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 21 February 2005, 12:06   #1
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

CAPS Distribution Initiative

Is discussion of CAPSDI allowed here as I don't see any mention of it?
Old 21 February 2005, 13:29   #2
fiath

There was a thread about it, but it was deleted. But basically, since the discussion of distributing IPF files is not allowed, it is quite hard to talk about CAPSDI.
Old 21 February 2005, 13:55   #3
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Can I ask if you have a problem with distribution of ADFs as well then? I'm curious (no other reason)....I mean CAPS seems a good idea to me but unless the stuff is out there then its a little pointless isnt it? I mean if the stuff is preserved for 2 or 3 individuals then who benefits?

I know, this has no doubt been done to death but I woke up this morning thinking it....
Old 21 February 2005, 14:07   #4
[idoru]

CAPS as an organisation wouldn't have a problem with the distribution of adf's from a legal standpoint as they're not involved with their creation. Their stance on ipf's stems from them being the sole creators of the images, therefore they cannot be seen to be advocating or helping their distribution unless the copyright holders have given permission for them to be distributed. CAPS provide ipf's to those who can prove that they own the original disks, and it is then out of CAPS' hands what happens to them after this point.

The individual members might have their own moral problems though
Old 21 February 2005, 15:05   #5
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

hmmmm (as you can see I am in prevarication mode today)... I wonder what would happen if say one of the "chosen few" in CAPS with all the files were to upload the lot to, say CodyJarrett or Bippy's FTP... in no time there would be full sets on P2P.

I guess that would be a bad thing and something I better stop discussing with myself .... OK... a mod can close this now as I am no doubt going nowhere with it!!!
Old 21 February 2005, 19:30   #6
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Actually, you will find that quite a lot of Amiga games are protected with manual protection - quite more than you'd expect if you've just been playing around with cracks all your life. So, unless you have manuals you will not really be able to play that many games from CAPS images. Amiga manuals are quite hard to find too, so in a way I'd say, since you're not supposed to download games unless you own the original, spreading CAPS images would be much better from a moral/legal perspective than spreading cracked ADFs.

Ok, that was just a thought - I'm definitely not asking the CAPS team to act differently because I fully understand their fear of legal threats from developers or whatever.

ANYWAY. We all love CAPS so let's respect their wishes.
Old 21 February 2005, 19:50   #7
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by [idoru]
CAPS as an organisation wouldn't have a problem with the distribution of adf's from a legal standpoint as they're not involved with their creation. Their stance on ipf's stems from them being the sole creators of the images, therefore they cannot be seen to be advocating or helping their distribution unless the copyright holders have given permission for them to be distributed. CAPS provide ipf's to those who can prove that they own the original disks, and it is then out of CAPS' hands what happens to them after this point.
What about those who post games off to CAPS members for potential imaging if the sender doesn't possess the adequate technology to do it him/herself?
Old 21 February 2005, 20:18   #8
Medvind

In either way the games are preserved in their full glory until all copyrights wear out or the copyright holders decides to give them to the public.

CAPS is great no matter how you put it. One can only hope that they will be blessed with the time to move on to other platforms aswell.
Old 21 February 2005, 21:40   #9
fiath

Methanoid: I should have put that better.

Actually, we think it is great that people who own the original can get hold of the games without having to dump them, especially if they are not able to for whatever reason. This way it saves both us and them time when the game has already been preserved.

The point is, that we do not want discussion of spreading IPF's HERE. This forum is meant for questions, communication, discussion, etc. and not somewhere people come just to find IPF links. It is not done for "policing" reasons, that would be pointless and stupid.

Of course, the other reason is what is said above by various people is true - since this forum is the semi-official CAPS discussion area, we don't want to be seen as advocating the spread of copyrighted games by ignoring it, because we do indeed respect copyright.

Feel free to talk about this stuff anywhere else but here, it is nothing to do with us, and since it is "our" forum, don't bother us about it.
Old 21 February 2005, 22:50   #10
[idoru]

Quote:
What about those who post games off to CAPS members for potential imaging if the sender doesn't possess the adequate technology to do it him/herself?
I'm sure fiath can assure you an arrangement can be made
Old 22 February 2005, 02:46   #11
Amiga1992

Let me know if this thread needs deletion.
Old 22 February 2005, 06:59   #12
fiath

Not sure, I was going to leave it, at least for now, because if we delete it, people will probably ask about it again.... Thoughts?
Old 22 February 2005, 07:47   #13
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Having a CAPSDI discussion here is a bit awkward, to say the least. Unfortunately, the CAPSDI folks have set up a website, but it has no provision for a discussion forum. Logically that is where this sort of a discussion should take place, imho. If such a forum was available there, it would be simple to deflect any inquiries on the subject to their site. Until then, you know it is bound to come up here on occasion.
Old 22 February 2005, 09:08   #14
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I suggested that this was CLOSED rather than deleted as it serves to show discussion and the end of discussion.

I agree it would be helpful if CAPSDI had a forum and will suggest it to the people.
Old 22 February 2005, 13:21   #15
fiath

Agreed. Closed.