English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 June 2009, 21:40   #1
Photon

Only finds Primary Display Driver in 1.6.0

...on my nVidia 6800NU PC, whereas on my Radeon HD4870 it finds both.

Mainly a question about if there is a difference, like if it loses rendering speed by using a driver with that generic name.

Will enable the 3 nVidia helper programs (gfxcard utility, media center icon, nView Assistant) and give it another go. But I'm running Catalyst-lessly on the other PC, and it works, so...

I attached the bootlog anyway, there are no problems in my DX resolution selector in Delphi.

Also, I'd like to know how to enable overlay mode to avoid triple buffering, if possible. If it's inTFM(!) or you have a link to that tweak guide (am I blind or not stickied??), feel free to slap me on the head with a piece of halibot good enough for Jehova!

Specs: Opteron 165, XP 64-bit, GF6800NU

ps. The problem with uaescsi.device - will that make it dangerous to work in WinUAE vs a SCSI-formatted CF card plugged into the PC?
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (10.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 03 June 2009, 21:48   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
...on my nVidia 6800NU PC, whereas on my Radeon HD4870 it finds both.

Mainly a question about if there is a difference, like if it loses rendering speed by using a driver with that generic name.
No. Primary is just that, monitor set as primary display if you have multiple monitors.

Quote:
Also, I'd like to know how to enable overlay mode to avoid triple buffering, if possible. If it's inTFM(!) or you have a link to that tweak guide (am I blind or not stickied??), feel free to slap me on the head with a piece of halibot good enough for Jehova!
Overlay mode is gone. RGB overlay is practically unsupported and/or software emulated now.

Quote:
ps. The problem with uaescsi.device - will that make it dangerous to work in WinUAE vs a SCSI-formatted CF card plugged into the PC?
FAQ: uaescsi.device has nothing to do with harddrives. It is uaehf.device you want to use. It is always uaehf.device, interface does not matter at all. EDIT: and by default uaescsi.device ignores all hd-like devices anyway.
Old 03 June 2009, 22:50   #3
Photon

Ah! Well, it was mainly the difference between two items in the driver dropdown vs 1 on the Opteron PC, that made me wonder.

OK, so no difference in buffering in fullscreen vs windowed mode, if both are nosync? Do Filters incur a delay? Maybe I have the buffering scheme set wrong in Control Panel. And I guess WinUAE selects acceleration in the bootup fine.

The hoopla with all this is I'm trying to make the slight keyboard delay minimized. (ie. from key pressed to char appears.) I guess it's the TFT update speed :S

I'd buy a really good USB keyboard and overclock the USB port, if that would help. Or perhaps PS/2 is good enough already?

I have a constant 50 fps and have tried lowering the specs to A500 OCS, and lower the priority. I suspect the TFT as I said, but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 03 June 2009, 23:49   #4
Photon

Tried Gravity-Force on the new PC, in 720x576 50Hz unsynced on the CRT. The delay between joyfire1 or shift key, to visible thrust burst, is the same, and noticable. So the problem isn't an input delay.

Is the cause the triple-buffering, and does that mean it's 2x1/50 second extra?

Was thinking of doing a longplay, if there is a way around this I'd love that Not to mention that if it made coding more sensual (haha) I could code Amiga while on the move, yay!
Old 04 June 2009, 01:33   #5
Photon

Heh, sometimes I ask instead of testing. It felt tighter @ 150 Hz, synced. 50Hz PAL is still selected in the Display panel though - would a 150 Hz mode there have made further difference? The menu on the CRT shows 150 Hz correctly.

One more snag until I can make a longplay, though - on my keyboard I'd need to swap Win and Alt keys. Any way to do that in WinUAE or with an external program, without incurring some buffering?
Old 04 June 2009, 08:53   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I can add command line option to force single/double buffering. (currently double or single gets enabled if for some reason tripplebuffer allocation fails. Single buffer only possible in fullscreen, windowed mode always requires at least one offscreen buffer+blit)

Key mapping: use input-panel. If you know how to use it
Old 04 June 2009, 15:44   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you get identical delay if you use fullscreen direct3d mode? (+some a500 quickstart mode, "too fast" modes can cause extra lag)

Unfortunately there really isn't any simple fixes, there is always at least 1 or 2 Amiga frames worth of delay..
Old 04 June 2009, 19:38   #8
Photon

oh. doh. I thought the input panel didn't have keyboard remapping. Isn't it just to setup something to replace a controller? Well, I can replace joystick left and right with keyboard keys, so it's a non-problem

Buffering options would be sweet!

Will try an a500 quickstart mode +direct3d-fullscreen. (I guess you mean the filter? I only have fullwindow d3d in quickstart) - although the attached config will probably pass muster in that regard.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gravity-Force.zip (3.7 KB, 148 views)
Old 04 June 2009, 21:22   #9
Photon

fullwindow d3d a500 quickstart-config, with 32-bit bilinear filtering, 1x1: Yes, I would say about as good as the config above (ie. 150Hz synced), in 800x600@100Hz. But I don't pretend to feel the difference of 1/150 second. 2/50 second is more possible

My thought about the single/double-buffering was that (depending on if you swap at PC sync or Amiga 50Hz sync), you could trim the delay from input to "photon hits retina" slightly by reducing buffering by 1/150 or possibly 2/150 second. Then any delay would be very close to any buffering the Amiga game had.

When that works, I just need a faster keyboard, fingers and brain. A topic for a separate thread though, I think :P
Old 04 June 2009, 21:26   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I was talking about fullscreen, not fullwindow (go to display panel). fullwindow is technically windowed mode.

You can't "reduce buffering". Emulation builds one frame in buffer and then blits it to display and finally it takes one frame (of host refresh rate) before you can see the new graphics.
Old 04 June 2009, 22:26   #11
Photon

Well, there was no option for Direct3D fullscreen mode in Display panel, I guess selecting the gfx card and selecting fullscreen with or without vsync does the same.

"fullwindow d3d" was in the Quickstart menu. It went into 800x600, which was 100 Hz on the monitor, and it seemed better, as good as the config attached above..

Later I went into Display panel ofc, and tried fullscreen and fullscreen+vsync, but no further improvement beyond the above quickstart config, or the attached config - as I said I felt no difference.

Can't reduce buffering, you mean going from triple-buffering to double-buffering would show the frame no sooner?
Old 05 June 2009, 22:08   #12
Photon

(after a cool discussion on IRC )

Well, basically what I hope for is if there's any chance for an option that would reduce the delay from "emulated frame -> display of that frame" of 1/50 second to 1/100 second or 1/150 second, if the display is capable of it? If you know what I mean.

I *think* I'm at 1/50 second+1/150 second delay right now, but ofc there would need to be some app in the emu or an Amiga program to test and display that somehow. If an Amiga app, I can code that if you want me to - but ofc I know you can code Amiga.

And sorry for polluting this thread with the other less important stuff

Last edited by Photon; 06 June 2009 at 05:12.
Old 17 June 2009, 02:20   #13
Photon

I'd love to experiment with single and double buffering if you make a commandline option Toni
Old 17 June 2009, 14:58   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=558344&postcount=27