English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 09 March 2021, 21:24   #21
rabidgerry

Oh and the Directory Opus icon changed by itself as well. I think it was an older style icon at one point, then installing visual prefs enhanced it, and then somewhere along the lines it changed to changed to the one you see now.
Old 09 March 2021, 23:07   #22
PeterK

The colors of your icons are looking quite good. If you want to know how ColorIcons should be displayed with perfect colors then you need my icon.library and a TrueColor screenmode as a reference.

In case that your yellow window frames have a wrong color that may depend on your settings in Prefs/GUI for VisualPrefs. Usually, only the first 4 system or 8 MWB pens and the last 4 are locked by Prefs/Workbench and Prefs/Palette, all other colors may change as soon as pens are allocated for icons, a wallpaper or by other applications. I think you can lock pens in VisualPrefs too, but I wouldn't do that, and that may cause conflicts with FullPalette. I prefer to use the default colors for window frames and other GUI elements, but it's up to you how ambitious you are and how much you want to struggle with these Workbench beauty toys like VisualPrefs.
Old 10 March 2021, 13:13   #23
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
The colors of your icons are looking quite good. If you want to know how ColorIcons should be displayed with perfect colors then you need my icon.library and a TrueColor screenmode as a reference.

In case that your yellow window frames have a wrong color that may depend on your settings in Prefs/GUI for VisualPrefs. Usually, only the first 4 system or 8 MWB pens and the last 4 are locked by Prefs/Workbench and Prefs/Palette, all other colors may change as soon as pens are allocated for icons, a wallpaper or by other applications. I think you can lock pens in VisualPrefs too, but I wouldn't do that, and that may cause conflicts with FullPalette. I prefer to use the default colors for window frames and other GUI elements, but it's up to you how ambitious you are and how much you want to struggle with these Workbench beauty toys like VisualPrefs.
Thanks for your help btw much appreciated.

I just sick of blue hence the desire to change the defaults. It's all blue and grey in 3.1.4. I understand what you mean now about locked pens. So if an icon needs a pen that I am using for some gui aspects it will essentially change the colour because the icon needs it?

This is in WINUAE so far, perhaps that is why it looks so crisp and clear. When the time is right I will copy the hard file to a CF card and start using on my real Amiga.
Old 10 March 2021, 13:41   #24
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
So if an icon needs a pen that I am using for some gui aspects it will essentially change the colour because the icon needs it?
No, icon.library always checks if it can share an existing color of the screen palette that is close enough to the desired color and how much free pens are left. It depends on the settings for icon precision in Prefs/Workbench and the amount of remaining free pens whether it would try to allocate a new pen in case that no existing color is close enough.

Used pens have a reference counter and usually their color can't be changed as long as the counter is not back to zero. Icon.library always takes that into account and won't modify the colors of shared pens.