English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 January 2021, 19:50   #1
lost_lemming

Big grin So what do you all think of that Bubble & Squeak then?

Just played the demo and wow! for something that looks like a kids game, clearly not for kids! not because of adult themes, but because how damn hard it is!

I only have a 3 or 4 level demo of it though.
so many options with this game and the weird fire lasers that shoot down the water level, such a bizarre game, not to mention the piggybacking thing after you feed him bubblegum haha

love the cool music though, if it didn't have that music I probably wouldn't have played it.
Anyone else know this game or remember it? OR even better, completed it!
Old 10 January 2021, 20:20   #2
lilwshu

I quite like it, the partnership mechanic works well and the graphics on the AGA versions are very nice.
Old 10 January 2021, 21:29   #3
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I played it about ten years ago and its a great game I got stuck on The NeverGlades Four.
Old 10 January 2021, 22:09   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

it's Bubble and Squeak

AGA version adds one extra scrolling parallax layer, CD32 version adds music and joypad controls. Nice game, never got too far, but I'm not too much into games...
Old 10 January 2021, 22:20   #5
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
it's Bubble and Squeak
Thread title edited accordingly. lost_lemming might have mixed Squeak and Skweek together.
Old 11 January 2021, 00:14   #6
idrougge

Played it quite a lot a year ago, the graphics make it immediately likeable. Two button support is also really nice.

The AGA version looks better than the OCS version, but the latter being released later has a few bug fixes.
Old 11 January 2021, 07:12   #7
Gzegzolka

Good platform game in style of Lost Vikings, I mean a platform game with lots of puzzles to solve. Cd32 version is the best if we speak about Amiga version, it have pad support and every button do something for control of Your character and his sidekick animal. I have finished it once. Biggest disadvantage for me was those bonus shooter levels where You control submarine - they are too hard. Submarine is too big and game toss lot of fast moving stuff on You. Game is better than Pinkie and more fun than Impossible Mission 2025, but if I have spare time I would play Ruff and Tumble, Marvelus Marvin or Super Methane Bross for sure.
Old 11 January 2021, 09:16   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_lemming View Post
Just played the demo and wow! for something that looks like a kids game, clearly not for kids! not because of adult themes, but because how damn hard it is!
Yeah but it's the Amiga, kids games can be damned hard too Took me ages to be able to get to grips controlling Postman Pat!

The fact that these games were hard did not deter me as a kid. It only does so as an adult.
Old 11 January 2021, 15:21   #9
Nobby_UK

"adult themes"

???
Old 11 January 2021, 16:48   #10
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I read in Amiga Power that there was going to be a sequel, but Audiogenic decided not to bother because the original only sold a thousand copies. Sounds about right in 1995. It was just a two-sentence snippet, not a proper preview so nothing more to see or learn. I've never read any other references to it.

I never got stuck into it personally, most likely due to the late release date ensuring it flew under the radar. Definitely looks enticing now though.
Old 15 January 2021, 01:14   #11
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
Good platform game in style of Lost Vikings, I mean a platform game with lots of puzzles to solve. Cd32 version is the best if we speak about Amiga version, it have pad support and every button do something for control of Your character and his sidekick animal. I have finished it once. Biggest disadvantage for me was those bonus shooter levels where You control submarine - they are too hard. Submarine is too big and game toss lot of fast moving stuff on You. Game is better than Pinkie and more fun than Impossible Mission 2025, but if I have spare time I would play Ruff and Tumble, Marvelus Marvin or Super Methane Bross for sure.
The floppies ECS and AGA version also have full CD32 joypad support !

Last edited by sokolovic; 15 January 2021 at 01:20.