English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 December 2020, 20:04   #1
lubaki

Image FX 4.5

Hi everyone!

I am looking to convert a Vampirized A1200 (emulated) into a "basic" vintage photo editor machine. I know that it can´t compete against Photoshop and its limitless options but I am looking for something basic. So, I need to know:

1.- Is there anywhere available an Image FX 4.5 manual? I only need to contrast, resize, dodge and burn parts or an entire picture. Maybe some color correction. Nothing that it can´t be done in a normal chemical lab. TIFF and JPEG format.

2.- Does anyone know any good photo printer available and working with Amiga System?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03 December 2020, 07:21   #2
tekmage

Hi Lubaki,

If you have ImageFX installed there is a help directory with ImageFX.guide that has lots of good details.

Also, if you're looking for some software to try I liked the ImageMagic program from BlackBelt and it's free now: http://www.datapipe-blackbeltsystems.com/amiga.html

For a printer, that is a little harder. Your best bet is to get a printer that can support postscript. Those are typically laser printers and can be very expensive new. You might be able to find a copy TurboPrint and get a supported printer off ebay. I found this site from 2004: http://www.irseesoft.de/tp_drive7.htm. A quick eBay search found an Epson Stylus Photo 1290 for $200.

Good luck!
Bill "tekmage" Borsari
Old 03 December 2020, 08:40   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubaki View Post
Hi everyone!

I am looking to convert a Vampirized A1200 (emulated) into a "basic" vintage photo editor machine.
It is not possible to emulate a Vampirized A1200 (emulated) because you lack the SAGA Video Card and the 68080 CPU.
Old 03 December 2020, 14:54   #4
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
It is not possible to emulate a Vampirized A1200 (emulated) because you lack the SAGA Video Card and the 68080 CPU.
I ques he can call his emulated Amiga 1200 vampirizes as a Apollo team started borrow already used names to their products.
Old 03 December 2020, 16:46   #5
Hiddenevil

Printer wise, you couldn't go wrong using a RWAP retro printer adapter. Allows you to use a modern USB printer with an Amiga.
Old 03 December 2020, 18:11   #6
amigakit.com

Here is the official ImageFX 4.5 Studio page: http://apps.amistore.net/imagefx
Old 03 December 2020, 18:36   #7
Daedalus

Printing is a tricky matter. TurboPrint is the only real way to go when it comes to drivers supporting photo printing, but the proper photo printers that are supported are all pretty old at this stage. PostScript does indeed make things simpler, but laser printers are definitely not photo printers, so whether they're suitable really depends on your expectations of the finished result.

I haven't tried the RWAP printer emulator, but that's probably the closest you'll get to getting a modern photo printer working on a real Amiga setup. It should be borne in mind that TurboPrint should still be used to get the best quality possible, but even then, the end results will have to go through a second set of processing and translation to CUPS or whatever driver system the emulator uses, which might or might not give the best results for photos.

If you're emulating the whole machine though, a better bet might be to print to a Postscript file using TurboPrint, then using Windows to print that file to whatever modern printer you wish using its native drivers.

Also, be aware that there's no concept of colour calibration or colour spaces as such on the Amiga, so some trial and error might be required with driver adjustments to get results that match the on-screen version of the image.
Old 03 December 2020, 18:36   #8
Matt_H

The major printing of the ImageFX manual was for version 2.0 - there's a PDF on the FTP. Later versions of the software included an addendum, several of which are also on the FTP. The ones for the 4.x releases aren't on there, though. I might have one on an old hard drive--I'll see if I can find it, but it will take a while.

There was an updated, integrated 4.5 manual available through a print-on-demand service, but it seems to be gone now. I suspect there are very few hard copies in existence.
Old 20 December 2020, 18:41   #9
lubaki

Thanks to everybody. It seems that my old Epson 9800 photo plotter is not suitable with an Amiga in any way. So the best option is still to send to a another computer and print from it. I will continue trying in the near future.

It seems that there is no option to have an Image FX 4.5 PDF manual. I only need to do some dodge and burning work in TIFF format and hi-res pics. But I will continue looking for it.

Thanks everybody.
Old 24 April 2023, 14:24   #10
walkero

It seems that the manual is available at https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ima...all/1111394468 in a format that is usable on their applications only. Unfortunately, I haven't found it available as a pdf anywhere.
This manual is supposed to be the full one with all the addendums included, but being only 68MB I am not sure about it.
Did anyone buy it so can share more info if this is the full manual or not?
Old 04 May 2023, 13:39   #11
stefcep2

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkero View Post
It seems that the manual is available at https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ima...all/1111394468 in a format that is usable on their applications only. Unfortunately, I haven't found it available as a pdf anywhere.
This manual is supposed to be the full one with all the addendums included, but being only 68MB I am not sure about it.

Calibre https://calibre-ebook.com/download can convert to .pdf

This may be needed as well: https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/...ls-for-ebooks/
Old 04 May 2023, 16:02   #12
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkero View Post
Barnes and Noble are only selling eBooks to customers located in the United States.