English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 February 2021, 12:08   #61
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

5% doesn't sound like a lot of CPU time... but it is.. especially when you are pusing against the wire on an A500.... It *could* be the difference between Dhalsims legs being long or being shortend !
Old 10 February 2021, 12:36   #62
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
About the music, DJ Metune got the SF2 Ryu stage music with the exact arcade instruments translate to a 60k module (I can say, it sound incredibly amazing, much better than any other SF2 song you heard on Amiga), it uses mostly 3 channels. Ask him.
Is this somewhere on the net to listen to?
Would love to.
Old 10 February 2021, 12:38   #63
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Is this somewhere on the net to listen to?
Would love to.
Ask DJ Metune, he will share the module to you, is a module for a new musicdisc we are working on.
Old 10 February 2021, 12:39   #64
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
5% doesn't sound like a lot of CPU time... but it is.. especially when you are pusing against the wire on an A500.... It *could* be the difference between Dhalsims legs being long or being shortend !
Well, let's see how much CPU is taking the game (I am talking on SNES graphics size).
Old 10 February 2021, 13:02   #65
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Well, let's see how much CPU is taking the game (I am talking on SNES graphics size).
To be honest, audio is the very last thing on my big list of things to look at
Old 10 February 2021, 13:06   #66
Toni Galvez

Quote:
To be honest, audio is the very last thing on my big list of things to look at
But I was talking about graphics as well and you only answered about sound.
Old 10 February 2021, 13:15   #67
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Everything else is in hand at the moment, and awaiting investigation on my side as to the feasbility of several techniques that may be required to get it working
Old 10 February 2021, 13:21   #68
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Everything else is in hand at the moment, and awaiting investigation on my side as to the feasbility of several techniques that may be required to get it working
It is all right Dan, I am a big fan of your games, I am very confident you can do an amazing job.
Old 10 February 2021, 15:40   #69
Havie

Quote:
About the sprite size, I recomend to use the SNES graphics size. Arcade graphics are too big.

With 16 colours I did this conversion, you can see all the characters look very well with the same palette(and the backgrounds have the same palette as well. It is a gif image, if someone want it, ask me.

https://ibb.co/nsL1jgy

About the music, DJ Metune got the SF2 Ryu stage music with the exact arcade instruments translate to a 60k module (I can say, it sound incredibly amazing, much better than any other SF2 song you heard on Amiga), it uses mostly 3 channels. Ask him.
These look really good for just 16 colours - imagine if you had another 32!

/Running away very quickly before Dan gets him
Old 10 February 2021, 16:44   #70
Amiga1992

Quote:
The best is, you can use all the samples from Fast memory, so, it won't take the chip memory at all.
Even if you have reduced chipmem usage, for the audio hardware to play anything it MUST be in Chip RAM, so I guess it streams audio data to Chip from Fast. So "no chip RAM at all" isn't true.
The video talks about high CPU usage especially on a stock A500, this seems like a terrible idea.
Old 10 February 2021, 16:56   #71
roondar

Quote:
By that standard, any CPU use it too much
I do understand this sentiment though, I didn't make that video with the idea being it would be useful in all cases. As always, it's a choice between various compromises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Even if you have reduced chipmem usage, for the audio hardware to play anything it MUST be in Chip RAM, so I guess it streams audio data to Chip from Fast. So "no chip RAM at all" isn't true.
The video talks about high CPU usage especially on a stock A500, this seems like a terrible idea.
I made that video and it doesn't say that*.
It says the effect uses 5-6% CPU on a base A500, which is not really that high. It's certainly a lot lower than TFMX/OctaMed require for their mixing routines

It's true you do need Chip RAM buffers, but they are small - only 666 bytes in total for the effect as presented in the video (note: this scales with sample rate).

*) It mentions high CPU usage only in terms of the more CPU intensive HQ mixer I also demonstrate.
Old 10 February 2021, 16:58   #72
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
These look really good for just 16 colours - imagine if you had another 32!

/Running away very quickly before Dan gets him
16 + 32 = more than 32 colours. Oh dear!
Old 10 February 2021, 17:22   #73
Toni Galvez

Quote:
The mixer is really good, all the samples are stored in fast ram, to the mixer send the mixed audio frame to chip ram buffer (very small one) and it works great, ask NandiusC, he can tell you how good the mixer work, is amazing.
Old 10 February 2021, 17:26   #74
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
By that standard, any CPU use it too much
I do understand this sentiment though, I didn't make that video with the idea being it would be useful in all cases. As always, it's a choice between various compromises.

It says the effect uses 5-6% CPU on a base A500, which is not really that high. It's certainly a lot lower than TFMX/OctaMed require for their mixing routines

It's true you do need Chip RAM buffers, but they are small - only 666 bytes in total for the effect as presented in the video (note: this scales with sample rate).

*) It mentions high CPU usage only in terms of the more CPU intensive HQ mixer I also demonstrate.
I'll certainly have a look at it when I come to adding sound. Would be great to have 3 channels of sound effects and 3 channels of music playing if there's enough CPU time left.. perhaps even just mixing 2 channels of SFX into one at a slightly lower bitrate would suffice too ? This would give the advantage of not having to scale down the source data so much to avoid overflow on the addition
Old 10 February 2021, 17:34   #75
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Oh I didn't know that was you, was watching the sprite one just the other day. Nice one
Old 10 February 2021, 18:03   #76
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad_UK View Post
Oh I didn't know that was you, was watching the sprite one just the other day. Nice one
Me neither!
My bad about misinterptreting the video roondar. I thought 5% was for the A1200.
This does mean though you need Fast RAM. That's kind of an odd configuration, OCS + Fast RAM. Leaves a lot of OCS systems out.
Old 10 February 2021, 18:08   #77
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Me neither!
My bad about misinterptreting the video roondar. I thought 5% was for the A1200.
This does mean though you need Fast RAM. That's kind of an odd configuration, OCS + Fast RAM. Leaves a lot of OCS systems out.
No, you just need any ram... obviously it will probably be faster from fast->chip... but slow->chip or chip->chip would work easily as well.

You just need your small "mix buffer" that HAS to be in chip mem
Old 10 February 2021, 18:35   #78
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Damn, that sounds super interesting.
Pun intended..

Will have a look into it..

@Roondar: Why'd you chose the number of the beast for your buffer?

@Roondar 2: Have you or anyone else tried out if this plays along with PTPlayer?

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 10 February 2021 at 19:12.
Old 10 February 2021, 20:07   #79
pink^abyss

Quote:
I'll certainly have a look at it when I come to adding sound. Would be great to have 3 channels of sound effects and 3 channels of music playing if there's enough CPU time left.. perhaps even just mixing 2 channels of SFX into one at a slightly lower bitrate would suffice too ? This would give the advantage of not having to scale down the source data so much to avoid overflow on the addition
I would also go for 2 channels at ~6khz. This would mean 6000/50=120 samples each frame. This means you need to read 2*30 longwords and only add them together each frame. Samples should before dynamics compressed to have good volume at only 7 bit...
Old 10 February 2021, 20:33   #80
redblade
Zone Friend

@Dan: I'm interested in how you will store your data for the blitter objects for this. Will you store 32x32 first then followed by 16x16 boxes at the end?

Or do you just have a look up table pointing to 16x16 sprites for each frame? Which would take a lot of memory on top of all the gfx data.