English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 22 December 2020, 21:18   #1
Sim085

PC-Task - Any step by step tutorial?

I have just seen some videos of PC-Task running Windows3.1 on an A1200 and I would like to try it out, first on WinUAE and then on the real hardware as well. I did copy all files on my machine and using Default Settings looks to work. I do however have a problem creating an HD larger than 8MB. Don't know why as I do not get any errors.

Anyway, does anyone know of any tutorials so rather than hit and miss I follow something?

Last edited by Sim085; 22 December 2020 at 21:36.
Old 23 December 2020, 03:07   #2
Not Here Long

When I had that problem I think it was because I was using a simple boot disk rather than a full version of DOS to format the hard file. I eventually used disk images from winworldpc.com.

https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/622

You're likely aware that you must install DOS before Windows 3.1 (or 3.11, as it was in my case last time). The contents of the Windows disks can be copied to a directory on the hard file before running setup, to avoid disk swapping during installation, but this does not work when installing DOS.

The way I did it was to set PC0: as A: on the PC Task configuration screen, after placing PC0 in Devs; that way I could change the disk images through WinUAE when prompted.

I've only formatted hard files 50mb in size, incidentally.
Old 23 December 2020, 07:46   #3
Sim085

I tried creating image files of different sizes, I could create one that is 128MB but not one that is 256MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Here Long View Post
I've only formatted hard files 50mb in size, incidentally.
Old 23 December 2020, 09:46   #4
Not Here Long

50mb was more than enough for testing it out. All I've done with PC Task beyond that is play through the first level of Wolfenstein 3D (in a very small window and with very low frame rate), and also try out a Tomb Raider demo (I think it ran at a rate of 1 frame every 55 seconds ).

N.B. Where I wrote place PC0 in Devs above I of course meant place PC0 in Dosdrivers in Devs, that way you can give WinUAE the DOS disk images.

If you want to mount the hard file (using PCTcrossmount) for access through the Workbench or Amiga shell, you need to place hardfile.device in Devs. The hard file must be placed on the root of a volume it seems, and it will only appear on the Workbench after you access it through the shell. Modifications to the hard file do not seem to be visible until after you mount the hard file again.

Last edited by Not Here Long; 23 December 2020 at 17:03.
Old 23 December 2020, 10:14   #5
Sim085

So I guess playing GP2 on Win95 is out of the question

Quote:
(I think it ran at a rate of 1 frame every 55 seconds ).
Old 23 December 2020, 22:32   #6
Sim085

Thank you for the invaluable advice

Quote:
If you want to mount the hard file (using PCTcrossmount) for access through the Workbench or Amiga shell, you need to place hardfile.device in Devs. The hard file must be placed on the root of a volume it seems, and it will only appear on the Workbench after you access it through the shell. Modifications to the hard file do not seem to be visible until after you mount the hard file again.
Through the below I copied PCTMOUSE.EXE to the hard file and executed this. When I execute this I get the message "Mouse driver has been activated". However the mouse does not work. Anyone knows how I can get the mouse working? When I click nothing happens but using keyboard I can go around so know it looks to be working.
Old 24 December 2020, 01:08   #7
Not Here Long

I'm not sure if I used PCTMOUSE.EXE. I think I just checked the COM2 mouse option, on the PC Task configuration screen, and used the keyboard to select "main", after Windows booted, and then "Windows Set Up". From there I pressed Alt and O to open options and selected "change system settings", before pressing the Tab button until the mouse option was selected; that option was then changed to read "Microsoft, or IBM PS/2".

Windows might have then requested a driver. If you have the contents of the Windows disks in a directory on the hard file, you can direct the installer there.

If you haven't already, Shapeshifter (the 68k Macintosh emulator) is well worth a try; it can actually be used for gaming. If you find the frame rate leaves a lot to be desired, the MuEVD video driver might make an improvement.
Old 26 December 2020, 07:45   #8
B93

There is a keyboard command to activate the the mouse in pc task, it is showen on screen when you first star the system, from memory it is left amiga P do this before starting windows and mouse should work.

I should also mention I’m using an older version of pc task as I. Running windows 2 on an A500 so the above may or may not work.
Old 26 December 2020, 09:15   #9
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
(I think it ran at a rate of 1 frame every 55 seconds ).
Wow!
There are some Dos games that might be ok on a fast Amiga iirc Pinball Dreams 2, Pcx is slightly faster but I prefer PC-Task and the Hardfiles are interchangeable.

wish Tomb Raider had a Mac68k port also wish SF2 had a mac port
Old 26 December 2020, 19:41   #10
Nobby_UK

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 December 2020, 07:18   #11
Not Here Long

I should say that, where I said above that the hard file must be placed on the root of a volume, in order to mount it, I would appear to have been mistaken.

Modifications to the hard file made through DOS or Windows will only be visible through the Workbench or Amiga shell the next time the hard file is mounted. Modifications to the hard file made through the Workbench or Amiga shell will only be visible through DOS or Windows after restarting PC Task.
Old 04 January 2021, 22:33   #12
Sim085

Ok, finally got this to work. I had to copy the mouse driver (mscvmd.386) to a floppy disk and then change the mouse to "COM1". After the change SETUP will search the driver in the floppy disk (putting the driver in C: or C:\WINDOWS did not work for me). It would seem copy of PCTMouse.exe is not needed. Do not know if this is the right way to do it. However not doing this and just using Left Amiga + P did not work for me either.
Old 08 January 2021, 01:43   #13
Not Here Long

You will have figured this out but, for the benefit of anyone browsing this thread, I should have said that the high density option must be selected for DF0 on the WinUAE floppy drives configuration screen, in addition to placing PC0 in DOSDrivers in Devs, when using 1.44mb MS-DOS disk images.
Old 06 June 2021, 11:04   #14
Syntrax

Hi All,

Is it correct that PC-Task does not support HD file of 200+ MB? If I try 256 MB, the popup closes and nothing happens
Is there and easy way to switch floppies on the fly?
the PCTCrossmount tool seems to run, but TCC: appears on the desktop as "uninitialised"
CrossDosFileSystem works because I can read MS-DOS disks

Thanks!

Last edited by Syntrax; 06 June 2021 at 12:18.