English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 10 August 2020, 12:27   #1
Lektroid

Just joined this week..

Firstly, many apologies, I went straight in posting my issues over here, as I didn't notice the member introductions forum until now, so I'll introduce myself here.

Back in 1989 I was working at Commodore in Peterborough (UK) testing Amigas and C64s, I bought my first shiny new A500 to replace my old breadbin 64. I was only 17 at the time. I had been into music since my days of breakdancing to electro in the early 80s; I loved electronic beats and synths, so I got a Commodore Music Maker C64, as my older brother strictly wouldn't allow me to use his analogue synthesizers, ever! Back then I was a huge fan of the demoscene, and had hundreds of demo disks. I also managed to get a couple of tracker programs, and started writing music (admittedly, most of it was utter tripe), but occasionally I made something that was listenable. At the time I had started frequenting a club night in Peterborough called Tekno Dreem which ran from 1989-'90. I became good freinds with the DJs, they had a tape deck there, so one week I bought a demo tape in and asked if they's play one of my tracks. Surprisingly it went down really well.

I continued writing music and a few years later (1992), I joined up with a couple of freinds and formed a rave outfit called The Brainstorm Crew, I wrote the music on the Amiga, and the others did the marketing stuff, it really worked, we landed our first record deals that year, although one of the labels (Formation Records) converted all my tracker mods into Atari/Cubase + Akai Sampler for mixdown in their studio (please excuse such expletives on this Amiga forum). After making a modest return from my music on vinyl sales, I bought an Atari/Cubase/Akai sampler to be 100% compatible with the label, although I only done one further release on their label under a different name. Over the years I switched between Amiga & Atari for music composition, until the end of the '90s when I got a PC, later a Mac. I now have a huge collection of analogue synthesizers and until recently I have been missing one vital machine from my studio, the Amiga!

So, I managed to land myself a mint A1200 with MBX1200 board & 8MB RAM with CF drive. After running a few olf demos and games, I was totally embraced in nostalgia, although I think the system was badly set up (as per link above). I also got an Atari as I used that to make sounds on my synthesizers. I still have a Commodore 64 in the attic too. In the next few weeks I'm moving house, so I plan to set up a retro computing lounge with these old beasts. After reading loads of valuable information on here and also the helpful people who have been trying to resolve my CF partitioning issues (I'm sure it will get fixed soon), I would like to say thanks to everyone for making such an awesome forum!
Old 10 August 2020, 12:34   #2
chip

Welcome to the forum
Old 10 August 2020, 22:19   #3
Flimbo

That's some intro, pal. Welcome t the boards.
Old 10 August 2020, 23:00   #4
seuden
uber cool demi god

Awesome intro. Welcome.
Old 11 August 2020, 01:48   #5
simonhez

Welcome
Old 11 August 2020, 10:19   #6
Lektroid

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimbo View Post
That's some intro, pal. Welcome t the boards.
Yes, I did tend to rattle on a bit too much with my monologue, I do this a lot, see below...

I was looking at the rules when setting up my account. Does anyone know what it means by direct signatures are not allowed? It says we can't use them, but doesn't explain what they are, does it mean no signatures at all, or certain types of signatures are banned (which ones)? I may sound like a noob, but I've never seen or heard the term "direct signature", and have no idea what it actually means? I'd like to link my personal music site so anyone interested can listen to my music, but don't want to break the rules and get banned just because I didn't understand an obscure instruction. Maybe I could use an "indirect signature" buy suggesting to search my username (and other artist names I go under) in google to find my tunes?
Old 11 August 2020, 12:26   #7
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
A direct signature is a signature you type/enter in your message (or that some applications like Tapatalk automatically add if it is not disabled).

You can use a "permanent" signature by going to:
http://eab.abime.net/profile.php?do=editsignature

It will automatically be added after each of your posts. But users who have chosen to have signatures not displayed will not see it (it makes navigation easier, notably on mobile devices, especially with people who like to have lengthy signatures, with pictures etc....). Such users can still see your signature if they go to your profile though, so if they ask for links (because they don't see your signature) you can just tell them to check your profile.