English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 July 2022, 00:32   #21
trixster
Guru Meditating

Don’t get rid of it Greg, you’ll regret it!
Old 25 July 2022, 04:33   #22
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Bromigo! First off the Op has eluded to have horded parts as he has described now.
I didn't hoard it, I was fixing up stuff for a hobby. Then I was helping develop some stuff as a hobby. Now I realize if I walk into four different rooms and have an Amiga or two waiting to be played with, which are all working just fine, I don't play with them because I have other things to do.

At this point it's such a great hoard that I could literally lay on top of my Amigas like a dragon. So yeah I guess it's a hoard, but I didn't do hoarding. I was like hey ... What was it like to have the cats ass A4000 in say 1993, and I built one up that way and did some Flyer recording and editing. Then there was the Sonnetlib years. Those were some good time.

Just selling it at current prices seems like fleecing. While selling it on the cheap will just end up with a scalper relisting it for 2-3x what I did. I tried handing stuff out to encourage development, but that didn't work. So I guess the best thing is to put it in a pile and box it up for someone else to deal with. One pallet of Amiga gear $20,000, note we do not accept returns for spending five years rebuilding it and stacking it back up into a new pile.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 25 July 2022 at 04:40.
Old 25 July 2022, 14:52   #23
Nightshft

I sometimes sell stuff. It is less about the money but more about the space. I have a little storage space at hand, but it is limited. Wenn you sell stuff that is redundand or unused, you gain space and time that you can spend with other stuff.

Another reason for me is to give it to someone that enjoys it (and can keep it in good condition).

That being said I still dont like the time and effort it needs to put it up to auction/local-ad-sites and pack it up and send it. In that regard, selling is more work than buying
Old 25 July 2022, 15:27   #24
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I have too many Amigas and parts. But going down the list, I think I can't get rid of any of it. How to decide?
If you need the money, get rid of the doubles or un-used things.

If you don't need the money, why even consider any decision other than "Keep it all".

Then you don't have to consider you have too many Amiga's or parts.

Old 30 July 2022, 02:36   #25
AlfiesGames

My vote is to keep two of each that way if something breaks its way easier to fix. Personally I try to keep two of everything and maybe a third that's just for parts.
Old 30 July 2022, 05:19   #26
DarrenHD

I would say you have enough of a stash that you could get rid of a bunch of 4000's, a bunch of accelerators cards, and some other zorro cards. Keep at least one of each and keep unique or better/rarer items, you will never be able to get them again (at any reasonable price).

And think long and hard before you let anything go. But again, seems you have enough A4000's to let at least most of them go.

I have sold stuff over the years only to regret it later, but now I am holding onto my stuff. I'm at a level now where I'm comfortable with what I have - a couple 4000's, 3000's, a mint A1200, CD32, and CDTV.

Now what I buy is anything new, like the BFG 9060 card or PiStorm, or Vampire. But I have the base machines now with usually 1 spare. That is enough.
Old 30 July 2022, 05:21   #27
DarrenHD

I would say you have enough of a stash that you could get rid of a bunch of 4000's, a few of the accelerators cards, and some other zorro cards. Keep at least one of each and keep unique or better/rarer items. You will never be able to get them again (at any reasonable price).

And think long and hard before you let anything go. But again, seems you have enough A4000's to let at least most of them go.

I have sold stuff over the years only to regret it later, but now I am holding onto my stuff. I'm at a level now where I'm comfortable with what I have - a couple 4000's, 3000's, a mint A1200, CD32, and CDTV. I prefer the orignal look as they were sold as much as possible. I do like what people do to spruce up their machines, like black or clear cases, but for me the original look is what I am after.

Now what I buy is anything new, like the BFG 9060 card or PiStorm, or Vampires to put inside the machines. But I have the base machines now with usually 1 spare. That is enough to keep me busy and satisfied.

I have some unicorns like the CSPPC+GREX 4000 combo, Blizzard 2060, two working AA3000+'s with DSPs', etc, that I very much cherish and will likely never sell (until the end! LOL!). I won't ever sell my Sonnet G3 500MHz either since I got it on the firesale for $40 USD

Last edited by DarrenHD; 30 July 2022 at 05:30.
Old 10 August 2022, 20:57   #28
eXeler0

Quote:
I have too many Amigas and parts. But going down the list, I think I can't get rid of any of it. How to decide?
It's only a problem if you have a small house, solution: Get a bigger house ;-)
I have 20 Amigas, not that I use them all, but there's room for them
But if you reeeeeeally have to sell, get rid of the stuff that's easy to get anyway if you'd change your mind.
Old 17 August 2022, 16:31   #29
Vstech

Is it a problem when you have to buy rental storage for your stash? I’m up to 3 houses, a warehouse, and two storage units… still have a crowded dining room… full of boards, and monitors and such…
Old 17 August 2022, 17:34   #30
Jope
-

As long as you buy and don't rent the storage, it's ok. :-) But renting space to own something you could buy later? How expensive are your things and how long until you've paid more rent than what everything in there is worth?
Old 17 August 2022, 17:43   #31
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstech View Post
Is it a problem when you have to buy rental storage for your stash?
I would say so. The running costs must be pretty intensive I would imagine.
Old 18 August 2022, 05:05   #32
grelbfarlk

I have plenty of room for it all. But it's too much, how many rooms should have Amigas in them, what four? That seems excessive, but if they all go in one room, that's too crowded.
Old 18 August 2022, 07:02   #33
Damion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
I sometimes sell stuff. It is less about the money but more about the space. I have a little storage space at hand, but it is limited. Wenn you sell stuff that is redundand or unused, you gain space and time that you can spend with other stuff.

Another reason for me is to give it to someone that enjoys it (and can keep it in good condition).

That being said I still dont like the time and effort it needs to put it up to auction/local-ad-sites and pack it up and send it. In that regard, selling is more work than buying
Excellent (and relateable) points.

Like most here I have a fair stash as well, collected in my 20's and 30's for similar reasons (projects, tinkering, setups I never had, spares of favorites), and am now realizing that as busy as life is, I'll likely not live long enough to finish exploring this hobby and all the sh!t I've acquired.

My advice to the OP: Maybe sell anything superfluous (6 A4000's -- that's hilarious! ), though IME you'll regret selling '040/'060 accelerators and nicer Zorro cards (unless they're duplicates). In principle I agree with you about the money aspect. On the flip side (particulalry regarding rare and/or pristine stuff), sometimes the folks willing to pay for nice hardware are also the ones most likely to treasure it... though I'm sure you're keen enough to find good homes for this stuff regardless.
Old 20 August 2022, 16:04   #34
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Quote:
I have plenty of room for it all. But it's too much, how many rooms should have Amigas in them, what four? That seems excessive, but if they all go in one room, that's too crowded.
Now you're just showing off!
Old 22 August 2022, 05:17   #35
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Now you're just showing off!
I'm not, I'm complaining. I have an A2000 in the main bathroom with a screen mounted in front of the toilet and a mouse on the bathroom counter. Now normally the A2000 is hidden in the cabinet but just one time I was playing some James Pond and left the sega IR gamepad out with the wireless mouse and the cabinet open when people were over. And I think somebody was freaked out by this weird desktop which had GuitarSlinger MOD cued up. The reason I say that is I heard it over the other noises playing while a visitor was in the bathroom.
Old 28 August 2022, 12:06   #36
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
I'm not, I'm complaining. I have an A2000 in the main bathroom with a screen mounted in front of the toilet and a mouse on the bathroom counter. Now normally the A2000 is hidden in the cabinet but just one time I was playing some James Pond and left the sega IR gamepad out with the wireless mouse and the cabinet open when people were over. And I think somebody was freaked out by this weird desktop which had GuitarSlinger MOD cued up. The reason I say that is I heard it over the other noises playing while a visitor was in the bathroom.
I am so disappointed you have an Amiga set up in front of your shitter....

An Atari would have been a much better choice!
Old 31 August 2022, 20:21   #37
brufnus

Quote:
Even trying to remember it all is hard.
I think I have about:
9 A4000 accelerators, of 6 different makes
Can't say for certain how many PCI PPC accelerators, it's over 10.
4 RTG cards
Some A2000/A500 accelerators
Random Z2 boards
6ish complete A4000s, 4 with mediators
An A2000 and a CDTV, maxed to the gills.

No I don't need the money, I just have too much stuff.

Sorry Alex I don't have a CDTV keyboard. The only external floppy I have is my original A1010 and that's got to be the oldest Amiga thing I have. No, for some reason I still have the 256k A1000 memory that I yanked for some reason when we upgraded to an A2000.
I bought most of it broken as a project to see if I could fix it, so most of it was really cheap. Seems like it's scalping if something I bought for $100 and fixed up and flip it for $600, is kind of shitty. Some was donated, some was loot.
Originally I had an A4000 in an Elbox tower, it wasn't running for about 10 years. I fixed that up and realized I still had my desktop case and the busboard for it. So I looked for a motherboard, and I found one but it was in a tower with a broken busboard and motherboard. So I took that motherboard and built up the desktop again. Then I realized I now had to find another motherboard for the new tower and an accelerator. So I got a couple broken motherboards and eventually fixed them up. Now I have an extra motherboard and while I'm fixing it up, for a spare I see an empty case. So I buy the case and now I need a busboard as one of them was shot... Anyway a few more iterations of that and I have six A4000s.

The CDTV the only thing I want to do to it is replace the 1X CDROM with a slot load DVD drive.
Hi, if you want to get rid of the CDTV, I could provide a very nice home for it. I have the opposite problem; an orphan keyboard and ditto floppy, but no CDTV for them... Just name your price!
Old 31 August 2022, 20:38   #38
back2skooldaze

Anyone in UK selling a nice condition fully working cd32? pm me
Old 01 September 2022, 03:49   #39
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brufnus View Post
Hi, if you want to get rid of the CDTV, I could provide a very nice home for it. I have the opposite problem; an orphan keyboard and ditto floppy, but no CDTV for them... Just name your price!
Oh I couldn't do that, that's my system with a Vampire. Eventually I want to put a slot load DVD drive in it... someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
I am so disappointed you have an Amiga set up in front of your shitter....

An Atari would have been a much better choice!
Some day I was going to get my Atari 800 running again but I don't know how usable it would be. I'd be droppin mines bending over to change floppies.
Old 01 September 2022, 04:50   #40
brufnus

[QUOTE=grelbfarlk;1562368]Oh I couldn't do that, that's my system with a Vampire. Eventually I want to put a slot load DVD drive in it... someday.

Okay, I fully understand that.