English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 July 2022, 00:24   #1
ahandyman59

SCSI2SD - Cannot Get it to work with A3000

I have an A3000 that works fine with an 1gig scsi drive. It has a buster-11 and the "fixed" WD scsi controller chip in it. 16megs ram. To reduce problem points, it is running without any cpu card, as these often interfere with scsi timing.
Anyway, I have 2 different scsi2SD cards, a v6.0 and a v5.2, both with latest firmware flashed on them. I have been completely unsuccessful in getting them to work on the actual A3000.

By using the appropriate SCSI2SD software, I have set up the disks using many examples from the 'net. I have even been able to find and format these in WinUAE. When I connect the card and the power cable to the SCSI2SD card, nothing comes up. If I go in the amiga HDTOOL (os3.2), it finds an unknown scsi device, but you can't use that tool to do anything.

Is there a very detailed set of instructions that actually work? I have spent around 14 hours in the last 2 days trying to get this to work. I'm frustrated to the point of considering buying a BuddhaHD and going IDE. It's a bit slower than SCSI, but is known to be fairly reliable and stable.

Any assistance?
Old 12 July 2022, 03:20   #2
Leon Besson
Banned

So have you looked at this video on the A3000 SCSI chip upgrade?

[ Show youtube player ]

Then Chris Edwards and Doug from 10Marc have done videos on setting up SCSI2SD here;

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

I have setup and used both Revision F and 2021 versions without issue.

Hope this helps? Bromigo!
Old 12 July 2022, 04:20   #3
Channel-Z

I own a few of these SCSI2SD's V6''s & V5's and can't get it working on my A3000 due to A3660 so I'm using Buddha on that one, slow but reliable. I also have the V6 in A2500 060 running GVP Tekmagic that's SCSI2 and it runs perfectly.

Does your A3000 have the terminators on the MB? mine were missing because it was originally a UX and came without any of the UX bits external tape drive etc.

If you do get this working one suggestion is to only create only one device in the SCSI2SD util so then you can pull the SD card and read the whole thing in WinUAE and also image it with win32diskimage. Creating any more devices means you can't access the other partitions without the usb cable on the V6. I would also suggest setting up the drive and partition on a real Amiga with HDToolbox as the geometry varies between WinUAE and Amiga.

Hope you get it working.
Old 12 July 2022, 15:38   #4
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahandyman59 View Post
I have an A3000 that works fine with an 1gig scsi drive. It has a buster-11 and the "fixed" WD scsi controller chip in it. 16megs ram. To reduce problem points, it is running without any cpu card, as these often interfere with scsi timing.
Anyway, I have 2 different scsi2SD cards, a v6.0 and a v5.2, both with latest firmware flashed on them. I have been completely unsuccessful in getting them to work on the actual A3000.

By using the appropriate SCSI2SD software, I have set up the disks using many examples from the 'net. I have even been able to find and format these in WinUAE. When I connect the card and the power cable to the SCSI2SD card, nothing comes up. If I go in the amiga HDTOOL (os3.2), it finds an unknown scsi device, but you can't use that tool to do anything.

Is there a very detailed set of instructions that actually work? I have spent around 14 hours in the last 2 days trying to get this to work. I'm frustrated to the point of considering buying a BuddhaHD and going IDE. It's a bit slower than SCSI, but is known to be fairly reliable and stable.

Any assistance?
I can only say I have a SCSI2SD V6 working in my A3000. I didn't do anything special to get it to work. So in theory it should work.
Old 12 July 2022, 18:44   #5
trixster
Guru Meditating

Same here - scsi2sd v6 currently in my 3000 and have used a v5 as well.
Old 12 July 2022, 19:28   #6
pipper

Works for me, too. With A3660 and SCSI2SD v.6.
In SCSI2 synchronous Mode it can achieve up to 3.5mb/s
Old 14 July 2022, 17:47   #7
Ami_GFX

It sounds like maybe and ID conflict or termination issue. I've also had issues with these SCSI emulators that can emulate a whole SCSI chain not liking being in the middle of one unterminated. The prefer to be the end of a SCSI chain with termination on. I would try it as the sole SCSI drive with termination on and the A3000 controller being the other SCSI device on the other end of the chain also properly terminated. If that works, put any other SCSI devices between them without termination.
Old 15 July 2022, 04:09   #8
ahandyman59

It took quite a bit of effort, but I stumbled upon a way to get SCSI2SD to work on my A3000. I ended up using the HDSetup Disk that comes with AmigaOS v3.2.. \b NOT the HDTools program on the Install disk! \b The HDSetup program found the SCSI2SD v6 board and set up the partitions how I prefer it be set. 4gig first partition and big second one. Anyway, I think I am good for now. I really wasn't looking forward to using BuddhaIDE, as that would have been much slower...