English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 January 2022, 20:09   #1
paraj

Monitor question: Squished display in productivity mode

I've had my old multisync monitor in storage for a number of years, and after connecting it again it seems to be doing mostly OK. I see occasional "interference" (glitching lines), but nothing persistent. Maybe that's to be expected with an old monitor? I can certainly live with it assuming it isn't an indication of something bad going on.
My main query: Productivity mode seems to be "squished" compared to the 15KHz modes (PAL/NTSC) like in the attached (literal) screenshot. I don't remember it like that, but maybe I'm just getting old or this is better fit for the AmigaOS support forum?
It's a MicroVitec monitor model no. 14VC2CC2S2 which according to other sources means a model 1438. I tried downloading another "Multiscan" monitor dev file from aminet, but it behaved the same.

Sorry for the possibly stupid questions (and/or wrong subforum), and if it's just dying so be it

EDIT: Oh yeah, I've tried fiddling with the knobs and changing overscan settings, but this didn't make a noticeable difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pal.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	798.3 KB
ID:	74542   Click image for larger version

Name:	prod.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	867.4 KB
ID:	74543  

Last edited by paraj; 27 January 2022 at 20:27.
Old 28 January 2022, 10:43   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

It's squished because its a higher resolution.

480 Horizontal lines instead of 256.
Old 28 January 2022, 10:44   #3
Jope
-

Looks like the monitor only has a h pos and v size adjustment, so I'm guessing that's as good as you'll get with this particular device.

If it used to fill more of the screen horizontally, then maybe a recap will help, but maybe not.
Old 28 January 2022, 11:51   #4
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Hello to another M1438S owner! It's my main monitor for literally everything. I'm on my second one since the first one started going purple

Mine does exactly the same, just like my first one did. I always thought it was supposed to look like this?

@Jope
H size is available internally.
Old 28 January 2022, 11:57   #5
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
H size is available internally.
Sure, but since it's there, the only feasible thing to do is to try out all the screenmodes you intend to use and adjust it so that the one that results in the widest raster still fits on the screen.

Judging by OP's pictures 15kHz modes are widest and they already fit the screen horizontally, so no point in adjusting it for productivity here - 15kHz is usually quite necessary in Amiga use.
Old 28 January 2022, 12:05   #6
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

IIRC it has separate trimmers for 15KHz and 31KHz. I most certainly remember doing fine settings on 31KHz on the first M1438s, though I haven't bothered yet to do so one the second one.
Old 28 January 2022, 12:12   #7
Jope
-

Ah, that changes it. :-) Would adjust too.
Old 28 January 2022, 12:53   #8
paraj

Ah, thanks guys I'm probably just misremembering or confusing it with another setup (or maybe I used it with one on my other Amigas in a 15Khz mode). Been too long
Old 29 January 2022, 01:50   #9
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
IIRC it has separate trimmers for 15KHz and 31KHz.
Do you mean internally? The M1438 has extremely limited external screen controls, limited to vertical height and horizontal position.
Old 29 January 2022, 08:14   #10
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Do you mean internally? The M1438 has extremely limited external screen controls, limited to vertical height and horizontal position.
Yep, externally it has very lackluster controls. Internally you get many more options
Old 29 January 2022, 08:36   #11
Exodous

Take a look at MonEd on Aminet - this allows you to tweak the monitor settings and tell the chipset to move the display around. The settings are saved in the monitor tooltypes.

https://aminet.net/package/driver/moni/MonEd3a

I don't know how useful it will be in this case, but I had good experiences with it back in the day with my C= 1942 monitor so my 640x512 Workbench screen was in the same position as the standard PAL setup used by demos and games to save contantly adjusting the position dials.
Old 30 January 2022, 11:30   #12
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
Take a look at MonEd on Aminet - this allows you to tweak the monitor settings and tell the chipset to move the display around. The settings are saved in the monitor tooltypes.

https://aminet.net/package/driver/moni/MonEd3a

I don't know how useful it will be in this case, but I had good experiences with it back in the day with my C= 1942 monitor so my 640x512 Workbench screen was in the same position as the standard PAL setup used by demos and games to save contantly adjusting the position dials.

Thanks, I seem to be able to get the centering a bit better, but not really adjust the width (much). I think if I ever have to open it anyway I'll look into adjusting the pots.
Old 31 January 2022, 21:10   #13
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
Thanks, I seem to be able to get the centering a bit better, but not really adjust the width (much). I think if I ever have to open it anyway I'll look into adjusting the pots.

If you unsure what to do then perhaps we can help if you provide pictures for monitor internals, beside i would recommend to thoroughly vacuum everything inside (be gentle with vacuum cleaner, use some some firm brush without metal), it may be issue related with deteriorated electrolytic caps - perhaps they need to be replaced - sadly to say i was unable to find schematics for this monitor.