English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 10 June 2019, 16:36   #1
ReL0aDed

[Found: Ragnov] A game similar to Gravity Force, with 2 players and catchy music

A long time ago I had a disk on my Amiga 500 containing a game that I suppose looked like Gravity Force, but it also had 2 player support. I believe this was a disk containing multiple small games if I'm not entirely wrong.

I think you controlled some kind of androids/robots instead of spaceships, the foreground was colorful and if I'm not mistaken the game also may have had a colored background. The music in the background was quite catchy in my opinion during gameplay. The goal of the game was to destroy your opponent as many times as you could. I can't remember if the game had sfx; not too uncommon for Amiga games to have the trade-offs with either music or sfx.

Regarding what I remember about the name of the game, it may have been called something with robot/robo/bots but my memory is fuzzy regarding this. It may very well be called something else. It probably was a Public Domain game since it's so hard to find.

I forgot to mention the game was split-screen in 2 player mode. I'm not sure if there was any single player mode in this game.

Last edited by ReL0aDed; 10 June 2019 at 16:42. Reason: Forgot to type in vital info
Old 10 June 2019, 21:24   #2
Devlin
Bane of Magic

Could it have been Extreme Violence, by any chance? http://hol.abime.net/3831

Not sure if it had other stuff, though.
Old 11 June 2019, 05:04   #3
ReL0aDed

Nope, afraid not.

Maybe this game is so rare, its not even archived on the web in any form (coverage, pictures, videos, info etc). This is one of two games in total that I remember but I've never been able to track down.
Old 12 June 2019, 19:52   #4
cry

Blues House by The Silents maybe? Although that wasn't 2 player iirc but the music was good.

Anything here? - http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?..._quickmatch=72

Last edited by cry; 12 June 2019 at 20:17.
Old 23 June 2019, 23:02   #5
ReL0aDed

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm afraid it's none of those games. For many years I have searched for this game online; but with no luck.

The hope may not be completely lost however, because I think my brother still has this disk, and he has a functioning Amiga 1200 in his basement. If I find this game (I think the game was accessible on a floppy disk containing multiple games, I suppose this would be PD games with small file-sizes), I suppose it's my duty to find a way to preserve it (maybe in The Zone). If it's a PD game I suppose that would be fully legal to do as well (I would certainly thoroughly check if it's legal to upload).
Old 25 June 2019, 11:00   #6
Fiery Phoenix

Gravity Beam, Gravity Power, Rescue 2?
Old 25 June 2019, 19:58   #7
ReL0aDed

Of those three games I suppose Gravity Beam bears the most resemblance to the game I'm trying to find, but it's not that game.

I can't remember if the 2 player split-screen mode was vertically or horizontally split, I remember some androids/robots flying around with some jetpacks, very small sprites. The music was upbeat and catchy, got some Lost Vikings vibes from it (the Amiga version of Lost Vikings had a different soundtrack on the Factory levels than the other versions, the music in this game gave me that Amiga Lost Vikings home village/factory vibe).

Thinking of it I'm not sure how much of a factor gravity was in this small game, but I have no doubt that this game looks more like a Gravity Force like game than any other game genre on the Amiga. It would not surprise me if this game was made by maybe one- or two people.
Old 25 June 2019, 20:02   #8
DamienD
Banned

Pure guess and am sure it's not what you're after but: Ragnov?
Old 25 June 2019, 21:08   #9
Nobby_UK

Nice for 60.0 KB (61,440 bytes)
[http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=54295].

Could not get it to run on Workbench (even via CLI)
but drop it on WinUAE icon and it works,
if a bit scrambled...
Old 25 June 2019, 21:25   #10
DamienD
Banned

Get the disk version from Amiga Games That Weren't Nobby_UK; which works perfectly

Last edited by DamienD; 25 June 2019 at 22:35.
Old 26 June 2019, 00:01   #11
ReL0aDed

Holy moly; that has to be the game I'm thinking about!!!

I just fired up fs-uae and ran this game with an Amiga 500 configuration & the music brought me back to maybe year 2000-2001 with an Amiga 500 I had way back than (bought the Amiga from a classmate for almost nothing, I had to get rid of it later on because it ate floppy-disks for dinner).

My memory is kind of fuzzy, but personally I don't remember the giant worm attacking you. Maybe I had an even earlier build of this game with even less features stored on a Demo disk, but it could also be that I had forgotten all the details.

I remember having visit of an old friend way back then, and he was playing the first Age of Empires on my secondary PC. I found this game on a disk, saw that the game supported 2 players simultaneously, asked if he'd like to join the game and he said "nah, I'm fine" (he'd rather play some more Age of Empires 1 than this old game)
Old 26 June 2019, 00:07   #12
DamienD
Banned

Ok, great news

...your post tonight made me think of Ragnov; especially the part about jetpacks

Do I now change the thread title to "[Found: Ragnov] Trying to find a game similar to Gravity Force, with 2 players and catchy music"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReL0aDed View Post
This is one of two games in total that I remember but I've never been able to track down.
What is this other game that you've been trying to track down?

Start another thread under this section; and try to provide as much detail as you can possibly remember

Last edited by DamienD; 26 June 2019 at 00:20.
Old 26 June 2019, 00:10   #13
ReL0aDed

Yes, that would be nice
Old 26 June 2019, 00:16   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Do I now change the thread title to "[Found: Ragnov] Trying to find a game similar to Gravity Force, with 2 players and catchy music"?
Quote:
Yes, that would be nice
Had to settle for "[Found: Ragnov] A game similar to Gravity Force, with 2 players and catchy music", as the title was too long
Old 26 June 2019, 01:15   #15
ReL0aDed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Ok, great news
What is this other game that you've been trying to track down?

Start another thread under this section; and try to provide as much detail as you can possibly remember

It's a PC Windows 95 game or DOS game from maybe 1997, so it's another topic for another forum (shoot 'em up)
Old 26 June 2019, 01:22   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
It's a PC Windows 95 game or DOS game from maybe 1997, so it's another topic for another forum (shoot 'em up)
You can still post a thread here on EAB if you like and we'll try to assist.

...a lot of us had switched to PCs by that stage, so may possibly remember the game that you're after

There's loads of talk about old DOS / Win9x games under the Retrogaming General Discussion section, particularly this thread: X86 Discussion (which used to be named "original 'Dos Pc for £30!! So Happy!!!").
Old 26 June 2019, 01:34   #17
ReL0aDed

This feels very weird, but I just found the other game I was looking for by a lucky web search (under shoot 'em ups in dos games). And I've been searching for this game for years.

This is off-topic, but the games name was Interpose. I remembered two of the cheat codes for this game (but didn't know the games name), so I double checked and the cheat-codes matched the game. What a day
Old 26 June 2019, 09:19   #18
DamienD
Banned

Wow, two games found after many years of searching... indeed, what a day!!!

For others, here's a YouTube clip of Interpose:

[ Show youtube player ]