English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 February 2022, 19:31   #621
andyhants

Is there any way to get the app to load & play subsequent mods after its finished playing the current one - or is that an EaglePlayer setting issue?

Ideally I would like it to play on-going randomly selected mods in the background without me having to prompt the next one while I'm doing other stuff & I click save to disk as mods come up that I like.

Thanks again for any advice.
Old 16 February 2022, 23:01   #622
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi andyhants!

It should actually work like that out-of-the-box... if it doesn't, it could be your config. of EaglePlayer that either "loops" the current module or doesn't "send" "end of play". In my config., in the menu "Config -> Program mode", I have "No new module" and "Songend" both selected Does it help?

Cheers!
Old 17 February 2022, 05:06   #623
klx300r

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Hi andyhants!

It should actually work like that out-of-the-box... if it doesn't, it could be your config. of EaglePlayer that either "loops" the current module or doesn't "send" "end of play". In my config., in the menu "Config -> Program mode", I have "No new module" and "Songend" both selected Does it help?

Cheers!

thanks these 2 changes in EaglePlayer solved the issue for me
Old 17 February 2022, 20:37   #624
andyhants

Quote:
Hi andyhants!

Cheers!
Yes that worked thanks - already had Songend selected - it was a case of selecting No New Module instead of Next Module. Of course when I want to use EaglePlayer to play-out a Drawer full of mods I'll need to re-select Next Module but thats no problem.

Really love using AmiModRadio to just randomly select & play mods while I do other stuff then just click save mod for the ones i like when I hear them. I then build-up a Drawer full of favourite mods I can play back
Old 18 February 2022, 17:53   #625
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi andyhants and all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhants View Post
Yes that worked thanks - already had Songend selected - it was a case of selecting No New Module instead of Next Module. Of course when I want to use EaglePlayer to play-out a Drawer full of mods I'll need to re-select Next Module but thats no problem.

Really love using AmiModRadio to just randomly select & play mods while I do other stuff then just click save mod for the ones i like when I hear them. I then build-up a Drawer full of favourite mods I can play back
I'm very happy that it works well now

Cheers!
Old 21 February 2022, 21:43   #626
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi all!

I'm happy to release another version of AmiModRadio, v0.99994! It improves stability with an entirely reworked handling of tasks, especially wrt. socket. It fixes bugs #111, #113, and #114. As usual, it can be downloaded, along with its source code:

Please contribute by asking for features, reporting bugs, or offering other translations!

Enjoy

Cheers!

Last edited by tygre; 25 February 2022 at 00:00.
Old 22 February 2022, 11:29   #627
AMIGASYSTEM

Perfect tygre, everything works perfectly.

I'm not a developer but I think AmiModRadio can be compiled on AROS x86 as well.

If you want to try it, my AROS One x86 Distro includes the tools to compile with GCC.

AROS One x86 can be installed on a Virtual Machine and GCC works also from ISO without the need to install AROS One, I attach my link where you can find the latest version of AROS One.

https://sites.google.com/view/arosone
Old 22 February 2022, 19:03   #628
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi AmigaSystem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Perfect tygre, everything works perfectly.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
I'm not a developer but I think AmiModRadio can be compiled on AROS x86 as well.

If you want to try it, my AROS One x86 Distro includes the tools to compile with GCC.

AROS One x86 can be installed on a Virtual Machine and GCC works also from ISO without the need to install AROS One, I attach my link where you can find the latest version of AROS One.

https://sites.google.com/view/arosone
That's a great idea and thanks for putting together these distributions! Could you explain me more how I could use your ISO? Can I use VMWare and just boot the CD or do I need Windows within VMWare or something?

Cheers!
Old 22 February 2022, 19:13   #629
AMIGASYSTEM

it's very easy to use AROS One x86, with VMware Player it's even easier, I attach some videos that show how easy it is to use the ISO or install AROS on VMwar/VirtualBox.

My distribution also includes a USB Image, if you burn it on a 4/8 GB Pendrive, you can boot the pendrive on any "supported PC".

Tutorial: Installare AROS One su VMware Player:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Gq...wR8i_NIGl/edit

Tutorial: Install AROS One on VirtualBox
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x8r...UMOZ4hvvk/edit
Old 22 February 2022, 19:21   #630
tygre
Returning fan!

Thanks a lot!
Will give it a try!
Old 22 February 2022, 19:25   #631
AMIGASYSTEM

If you run the PC with the Pendrive be careful not to touch HDToolBox you could destroy Windows.

AROS can also be installed in DualBoot with Windows 7/10 (you have to follow some particular steps).

On virtual machine you can do what you want but you can't damage Windows, if you have to install the development tools on AROS Installer check the box on "Developer Software".
Old 25 February 2022, 02:13   #632
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi all!

Just to let you know that the source modules.pl doesn't work anymore because this site now only accept HTTPs connections

I'll think about adding AmiSSL support to AmiModRadio

Take care!
Tygre

PS. Thanks AmigaSystem for your help with AROS
Old 25 February 2022, 12:25   #633
Lisko

Quote:
Hi all!

Just to let you know that the source modules.pl doesn't work anymore because this site now only accept HTTPs connections

Take care!
Tygre

PS. Thanks AmigaSystem for your help with AROS
Feel free to add it, it could be even more useful in future and maybe could deliver more sources for modules!
I also hope to see the ReAction version of this in the future. Keep up the great work.
Old 25 February 2022, 14:15   #634
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Lisko and thank you for your support

Yes, you're right of course about SSL... it's just that it's really an overkill (code complexity, required updates, and energy consumption) to encrypt communications from a server serving... Amiga modules

As for the ReAction UI... it's in the works
I even printed the new version of the RKRM, thank you Camilla and Jason

Cheers!
Old 25 February 2022, 22:41   #635
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
modules.pl never worked for me anyway, so...

Quote:
This must be your top priority. For 25 years Amiga users have believed that 'security by obscurity' would keep them safe. But it's only a matter of time before cyber criminals discover that thousands of Amiga users are getting online every day with ancient machines that are full of security holes. I bet right now they are figuring out ways to steal your internet banking and Bitcoin wallet passwords, infect all your USB sticks, and encrypt your hard drive with ransomware so you lose all those mission-critical files you were keeping on it!

But just having an open SSL with over 160 cipher suites is not enough. As you know, the Amiga doesn't have memory protection and the OS is devoid of security features. Most Amiga users don't even log in with a password! And nobody runs real-time malware protection either, so once a hacker gets in they have unfettered access to the entire machine. Before you know it they will be using your 14MHz A1200 to send millions of spam emails and mine cryptocurrency, without you being any the wiser.

So it's vitally important that Amiga apps be rewritten in a more secure language like Python, and run in a virtual machine to keep the hackers sand-boxed. Of course this will introduce some overhead. That is why the minimum hardware for going online with an Amiga today should be at least a 2.5GHz CPU and 4GB of RAM.

Quote:
As for the ReAction UI... it's in the works
This too. It's shameful that some Amiga users are holding back progress by still using old OS versions. You should make the next AmiModRadio OS 3.2 only so that anyone with an earlier version is forced to upgrade. Then, when OS 3.3 comes out...
Old 25 February 2022, 23:13   #636
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
modules.pl never worked for me anyway, so...
Thanks for letting me know!

Quote:
This must be your top priority. For 25 years Amiga users have believed that 'security by obscurity' would keep them safe. But it's only a matter of time before cyber criminals discover that thousands of Amiga users are getting online every day with ancient machines that are full of security holes. I bet right now they are figuring out ways to steal your internet banking and Bitcoin wallet passwords, infect all your USB sticks, and encrypt your hard drive with ransomware so you lose all those mission-critical files you were keeping on it!

But just having an open SSL with over 160 cipher suites is not enough. As you know, the Amiga doesn't have memory protection and the OS is devoid of security features. Most Amiga users don't even log in with a password! And nobody runs real-time malware protection either, so once a hacker gets in they have unfettered access to the entire machine. Before you know it they will be using your 14MHz A1200 to send millions of spam emails and mine cryptocurrency, without you being any the wiser.

So it's vitally important that Amiga apps be rewritten in a more secure language like Python, and run in a virtual machine to keep the hackers sand-boxed. Of course this will introduce some overhead. That is why the minimum hardware for going online with an Amiga today should be at least a 2.5GHz CPU and 4GB of RAM.

Quote:
This too. It's shameful that some Amiga users are holding back progress by still using old OS versions. You should make the next AmiModRadio OS 3.2 only so that anyone with an earlier version is forced to upgrade. Then, when OS 3.3 comes out...

Cheers!
Old 07 March 2022, 14:30   #637
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi all!

I started implementing a ClassAct-based user interface, you can find it attached to this post. You can start the ClassAct user interface using the parameter/tooltype CLASSACT. Currently, only the main functions are implemented but I'd happy to receive some feedback already .

I also did some tests of memory consumption, they are not super precise but they show that ClassAct is lighter than MUI v3.8, which is (much) lighter than MUI v5.0 . (Both MUI used the exact same configuration of AmiModRadio, without any fancy backgrounds or patterns, looking like the ClassAct version.)

Code:
	Before 		After		Usage		Total		Differences
	CLASSACT (Baseline)
Chip	 1,359,912	 1,322,232	   37,680
Fast	48,905,000	47,075,152	1,829,848	1,867,528

MUI v3.8
Chip	 1,359,912	 1,325,128	   34,784
Fast	4,8941,384	47,000,632	1,940,752	1,975,536	108,008

MUI v5.0
Chip	 1,323,960	 1,229,064	   94,896
Fast	48,203,432	45,936,344	2,267,088	2,361,984	494,456
The ClassAct version could be interesting for memory-conscious Amigans .

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: lha AMRv0.99995beta.lha (302.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 07 March 2022, 18:02   #638
AMIGASYSTEM

Which is the correct parameter to put in the Tooltype icon? I added only CLASSACT but it does not work, I also tried CLASSACT=1 and CLASSACT=YES.

If I run AmiModRadio from Shell with the CLASSACT parameter it works regularly!

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 April 2022 at 17:48.
Old 07 March 2022, 18:46   #639
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Which is the correct parameter to put in the Tooltype icon? I added only CLASSACT but it does not work, I also tried CLASSACT=1 and CLASSACT=YES.

If I run AmiModRadio from Shell with the CLASSACT parameter it works regularly!
Oh, sorry about that: it should be "CLASSACT" alone, like it used to be "MUI" before... I'll double-check (and fix) the problem later, thanks!

Are you using ClassAct v3.3 or ReAction (and which version)? The string gadgets are aligned on your system, creating a lot of space between the buttons, while they "extend" the whole width of the window on mine...

Cheers!
Old 07 March 2022, 18:55   #640
AMIGASYSTEM

I don't have ClassAct installed, i'm using OS 3.9 which includes Reaction