English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 August 2004, 13:36   #1
Christian

Quick Vsync question..

Using Winuae on my flash new TFT monitor, I've noticed a problem .. the screen refresh only goes from 56 to 85Hz. I understand that 50 or 100Hz is needed to get smooth scrolling at normal speed...

Could 75Hz ever be used? Maybe by only syncing 2 out of 3 frames or something? (just a stupid guess!)

Also, I think I might be able to get hold of an old A600. Is there an easy way of connecting them to PC monitors?

Ta

Old 03 August 2004, 16:49   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian
Using Winuae on my flash new TFT monitor, I've noticed a problem .. the screen refresh only goes from 56 to 85Hz. I understand that 50 or 100Hz is needed to get smooth scrolling at normal speed...
Yes but you can try using some display tweaking program (for example Powerstrip) to force 50Hz. It may work..

My next monitor will be TFT and I am going to be absolute sure it will support 50Hz before buying one

Quote:
Could 75Hz ever be used? Maybe by only syncing 2 out of 3 frames or something? (just a stupid guess!)
No, it would look unbelievable jittery. (I have tried..)
Old 03 August 2004, 17:06   #3
Christian

Thanks Toni, I have tried forcing the monitor into 50Hz but it just shuts itself off. Bit of a pain really - ah well, back to playing Pinball Fantasies really fast (good for the reactions though!)

Good luck finding a 50Hz TFT. I'd have thought that the screens aimed at people wanting to use them as TVs would all work... (We're supposed to be getting a 32" one for the living room. I'll have to plug into that - which should please my other half ;-)

haha

Old 06 August 2004, 22:56   #4
BURROWSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian
Good luck finding a 50Hz TFT. I'd have thought that the screens aimed at people wanting to use them as TVs would all work... (We're supposed to be getting a 32" one for the living room. I'll have to plug into that - which should please my other half ;-)

haha
Does anyone know of ANY good TFT monitors that can sync to 50Hz?!! (and can do a fast enough refresh rate ie. 16ms )

I have seen the ViewSonic VP201B on paper can do 50Hz & 16ms (and has a neat portrait feature - ideal for MAME!). A bit expensive though...

Can anyone confirm this or suggest any other similiar monitors?

Thanks

Old 15 August 2004, 06:02   #5
VermillioN

I plan to upgrade to TFT soon also. The one I'm looking at is the Samsung 172x which boasts a lovely 12ms response but the specs suggest it can only handle 56Hz+.. but who's to say it can't be forced to 50.. if anyone already owns this beast I'd love to know if it's possible. Hopefully upgrading will give me more luck with vsync to hey toni

Old 15 August 2004, 09:35   #6
IFW

Sony models are advertised for 50Hz.
Probably you should look for ones that have or can have additional pal tv-tuners, since those must handle either 50hz or 100hz to avoid tearing and ghosting.
Old 15 August 2004, 18:13   #7
Christian

Yeah, I wouldn't get too caught up in going for a low response time. I've read that some 25ms screens actually have less smearing/blurring than 16ms ones, etc, etc. Seems to be one of those figures the manufacturers throw around...

You really need to see the screen in action and form your own opinion. If you can, try and see a load of screens together displaying the same thing (big electrical shops)

I have managed to get Winuae running at 56hz with vsync but obviously this is still too fast (not as bad as 60 though!)

Old 16 August 2004, 12:57   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW
Sony models are advertised for 50Hz.
Probably you should look for ones that have or can have additional pal tv-tuners, since those must handle either 50hz or 100hz to avoid tearing and ghosting.
Not "either ... or"; they must handle 50 Hz!
Remember that in WinUAE, there's still that ghosting thing in 100 Hz, and afaik Toni hasn't had any clue yet how to fix this.
(applies to scrollers in demos etc.)
Since this still happens, the only way out is to use 50 Hz.
Old 16 August 2004, 14:12   #9
IFW

It works perfectly on 100Hz here (Sony Trinitron monitor, Matrox G550/ATI 9800 XT). No surprise or magic there: 100 is exactly divisible by 50. If it does not work it is a driver/monitor problem such as running on 99/101 hz for real or the crt too slow to handle 100Hz without leaving marks.
Since tfts are still not exactly cheap it's worth a try whether it will work for whatever purpose someone buys it for.
Anyway this is academical, since affordable tfts go up to 85hz, so only 50Hz is an option right now.
Old 16 August 2004, 14:48   #10
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Not "either ... or"; they must handle 50 Hz!
Remember that in WinUAE, there's still that ghosting thing in 100 Hz, and afaik Toni hasn't had any clue yet how to fix this.
(applies to scrollers in demos etc.)
Since this still happens, the only way out is to use 50 Hz.
You can't compare WinUAE with a monitor! All our 100 Hz TVs are working fine because they simply display every frame twice. Same goes for TFT monitors.
Old 16 August 2004, 15:21   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
You got a point here.
Yes maybe I can't ... but I can only speak for my testing results.
And Toni knows it ... 50 Hz setting works (usually), 100 Hz displays ghosting text.
My monitor can do 100 Hz without problems - but I cannot use this setting in WinUAE, as I said. (And many others can't, either.)
Old 16 August 2004, 20:33   #12
Christian

Has anyone actually tried Winuae @50Hz on a TFT?? Just wondering as it could be the ideal setup as TFTs don't seem to give the headache-inducing flicker that CRTs do.

I can't detect any flicker at 56HZ anyway (I'm very fussy about these things and can spot a 60Hz screen a mile away!)

I used to run Winuae at 50Hz on my old monitor and it was pretty unbearable (but worth the ultra-smooth scrolling). 100Hz looked slightly odd for me too.