English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 07 February 2009, 19:37   #1
badwolf500

Using Windows Mouse / Custom Keys with WinUAE / Sensible Soccer

Hello,

I have installed WinUAE 1.5.3.0 on my laptop and got a ROM and my favourite Amiga game 'Sensible Soccer' but I am having trouble with the Mouse/Joystick setup section.

Is it possible to use my Windows mouse with games or define custom keys. Even when I do select the key configurations available they do not seem to apply properly. Also on one of the screens the enter button does not work which means I need to change configuration just to leave that screen.

Any help would be really appreciated because now I can start up the game I would love to play it. I do have my old Amiga and joysticks but don't know how to make them work with my laptop.

Thanks

Old 07 February 2009, 22:50   #2
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf500 View Post
<snip> or define custom keys. Even when I do select the key configurations available they do not seem to apply properly.
Hello badwolf500,

Welcome to EAB

I'm sure this thread will help you. Basically make sure that you set desired keys to Joy2
Old 07 February 2009, 23:38   #3
badwolf500

Thanks for that DamienD. That sorts out keys for me but I was wondering is it possible to map my windows mouse (mousepad on my laptop) to the joystick events? Apologies if this is very obvious but I couldn't work it out.

Old 08 February 2009, 14:22   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that DamienD. That sorts out keys for me but I was wondering is it possible to map my windows mouse (mousepad on my laptop) to the joystick events? Apologies if this is very obvious but I couldn't work it out.
I guess you could, I'm sure there's a thread about it somewhere.

Anyway, you can try mapping "Mouse1 Up", "Mouse1 Down", "Mouse1 Left", "Mouse1 Right" or even just changing Mouse * to Port 1 instead of Port 0. Not sure how successfull you'll be playing games this way though...

You're really best just getting a USB joystick / joypad as they're not expensive. Personally I use my Xbox controllers connected via a USB adapter, see here for more details.
Old 08 February 2009, 17:29   #5
badwolf500

Thanks again DamienD for the quick and helpful replies.

I have an XBox and 2 controllers and have found a supplier in the UK for the Super Joy Box 11. If you have time can you do me one last favour and confirm that it takes standard XBox controllers (not 360 ones) and I will be able to use them both with WinUAE for 2 player games. What would I select under the Port0 and Port1 dropdown boxes?

Many thanks - playing some of these old games are bringing back great memories of playing my Amiga 1200.

Old 08 February 2009, 17:47   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I have an XBox and 2 controllers and have found a supplier in the UK for the Super Joy Box 11. If you have time can you do me one last favour and confirm that it takes standard XBox controllers (not 360 ones) and I will be able to use them both with WinUAE for 2 player games.
Yup, I have 2 x Xbox controllers (not Xbox 360 ones) and they work perfectly

Quote:
What would I select under the Port0 and Port1 dropdown boxes?
With the adapter you get software which install the necessary drivers. Afterwards in WinUAE you will see these in the list as follows:

One thing also, I always change the properties of each "TigerGame Xbox to USB Controller" listed under "Control Panel" --> "Game Controllers" from "Flight Simulation" to "Fight & Action" or "DDR Mode" so that you can use all buttons if required.

Old 08 February 2009, 18:53   #7
badwolf500

Thanks again DamienD - I really appreciate that. I have ordered a Super Joy Box 11 already and look forward to using it.

Thanks for taking the time to put up screen grabs too - you have been a great help

Old 08 February 2009, 18:54   #8
DamienD
Banned

No problem at all
Old 08 February 2009, 19:52   #9
pubzombie

@badwolf500
greetings and welcome to eab.
cant seem to be able to get uae to pick up my logic3 pad so will have a read of your thread.
laterz bud
PZ
Old 08 February 2009, 20:23   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
cant seem to be able to get uae to pick up my logic3 pad so will have a read of your thread.
As long as Windows can see your joystick / joypad WinUAE should be able to...

Does the Logic3 come with drivers or is it "plug and play"? Can you see it listed in "Control Panel" --> "Game Controllers"? Of course everything needs to be setup / connected before starting WinUAE.
Old 08 February 2009, 22:48   #11
pubzombie

@DamienD.
hi bud, yes its plug n play. whenever I set winuae to use it it switches back to mouse. will try other ports
PZ
Old 08 February 2009, 23:30   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
@DamienD.
hi bud, yes its plug n play. whenever I set winuae to use it it switches back to mouse. will try other ports
PZ
Do you mean you select the Logix3 for Port 1, save the configuration, play a game and then exit WinUAE. Afterwards when restarting WinUAE / reloading the configuration it's changed back to Mouse?

Strange... I see this happen only if I use one of my Xbox controllers in one port of my USB adapter, play a game, exit WinUAE and then accidently connect it to a different port (of which there are 4). That makes sense though.

Not sure how the Logix3 joypad is setup but I'm assuming you only have one and it connects to a USB port? Shouldn't make a difference but do you connect it back to the same USB port?
Old 09 February 2009, 14:13   #13
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Do you mean you select the Logix3 for Port 1, save the configuration, play a game and then exit WinUAE. Afterwards when restarting WinUAE / reloading the configuration it's changed back to Mouse?

Strange... I see this happen only if I use one of my Xbox controllers in one port of my USB adapter, play a game, exit WinUAE and then accidently connect it to a different port (of which there are 4). That makes sense though.

Not sure how the Logix3 joypad is setup but I'm assuming you only have one and it connects to a USB port? Shouldn't make a difference but do you connect it back to the same USB port?
Hi DamienD,
yes its usb and I always use the same port. When I select usb controller in winuae and click ok, it sets me back to mouse control - strange I know.
PZ
Old 09 February 2009, 21:44   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hi DamienD,
yes its usb and I always use the same port. When I select usb controller in winuae and click ok, it sets me back to mouse control - strange I know.
PZ
Bizarre... Looks like it's one for Toni to work out / comment on.

Does the same thing happen with different versions of WinUAE? Maybe try an earlier version like v1.0.0 (which I still use on occasion as my 500+ configurations are setup there and I haven't been bothered to update them all as yet)
Old 09 February 2009, 23:04   #15
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Bizarre... Looks like it's one for Toni to work out / comment on.

Does the same thing happen with different versions of WinUAE? Maybe try an earlier version like v1.0.0 (which I still use on occasion as my 500+ configurations are setup there and I haven't been bothered to update them all as yet)
Hi DamienD,
just tried it on v1.0.0 and it works fine. will uninstal and reinstal and try again
cheers
pz
Old 09 February 2009, 23:58   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hi DamienD,
just tried it on v1.0.0 and it works fine. will uninstal and reinstal and try again
cheers
pz
Well that's sort of good news... Now to find out what is the last version that works before it breaks so that you give this information to Toni. Also, have you tried the latest betas?

Personally I would use the .ZIP archives instead of the .EXE file that you install. You should be able to get older versions of the .EXE file from the WinUAE home page but not the .ZIP versions. If you need any in particular just ask as I usually download these
Old 10 February 2009, 08:04   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does it work if you simple press first button on the pad? (instead of selecting it using GUI)

first button = insert in joystick port
second button = insert in mouse port

and include logs too (and wrong forum too )
Old 11 February 2009, 02:26   #18
pubzombie

hi guys . I have downloaded a few different versions and will run through them tomorrow. cheers for advice