English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 08 February 2021, 16:35   #81
paul1981

Back to OpenURL Prefs again...

In my prefs, I have all other browsers disabled and IBrowse at the top of my list.
In the Path description for IBrowse, I have my unique path to IBrowse and then "%u" at the end. It's the "%u" which contains the URL for the slave update and this gets passed onto the command line via the Path you entered previously (in your case for AWeb).

It looks like yours could be:

Workbench/Programs/AWeb/AWeb "%u"

Can you let me know exactly what yours says? If you get sent to the browser homescreen then that implies that it wasn't passed a URL via the "%u". The quotes should be used too around the %u, so don't exclude them.

When you think you have it setup correctly, save the prefs and go to a new shell window and type:

c:openurl "www.aminet.net/docs"

...and it should display docs from aminet. Does that work?

Last edited by paul1981; 08 February 2021 at 17:12.
Old 10 February 2021, 15:18   #82
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
Back to OpenURL Prefs again...

In my prefs, I have all other browsers disabled and IBrowse at the top of my list.
In the Path description for IBrowse, I have my unique path to IBrowse and then "%u" at the end. It's the "%u" which contains the URL for the slave update and this gets passed onto the command line via the Path you entered previously (in your case for AWeb).

It looks like yours could be:

Workbench/Programs/AWeb/AWeb "%u"

Can you let me know exactly what yours says? If you get sent to the browser homescreen then that implies that it wasn't passed a URL via the "%u". The quotes should be used too around the %u, so don't exclude them.

When you think you have it setup correctly, save the prefs and go to a new shell window and type:

cpenurl "www.aminet.net/docs"

...and it should display docs from aminet. Does that work?

Ok so first thing I tried was c: openurl "www.aminet.net/docs" in shell

It did not open but just the browser at it's home page.

Then I had a closer look at the preferences again. I noticed the %u did not have "" around them for the options below. So I added these in.

Still didn't work.

Then I took at a look at what you said which was "%u" after the path to Aweb so should be like this Workbench/Programs/AWeb/AWeb "%u"

and what do you know? I had no "%u"

So I added this in and ran c: openurl "www.aminet.net/docs", and it opened the webpage.

Moment of truth............

I then went and run a game I know that wasn't updated yet, WHDload webpage loaded no problem. Was able to down the slave there and then and after continue with the game without a hitch.

Feel bad that I never noticed this but then when I copied over the preferences from the other CF card that does seem to be working I expected the settings to be the same and work. But I guess not. I suppose this way was a better way to learn what actually was going wrong as I understand what it's doing better!

Thanks again for that
Old 11 February 2021, 23:15   #83
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
Wepl: Why is it so that the slave is still loaded into memory or that the memory is not released when the splash says an update is available? I can be left with as little as 512K of Chipram left or even worse (depending on the slave I presume) and in a bad case there would not be enough Chipram to open IBrowse which I think happened to me last year or year before and that was when I decided against using this feature.
The reasoning behind this is that you are maybe don't like to update at this time and the efforts for preloading already done should not be wasted.
What maybe could be changed would be that when clicking on an update button whdload terminates (nearly) and then calls openurl. This way most memory allocated by whdload could be freed and the chance to properly start the webbrowser could be increased.
Old 16 February 2021, 14:43   #84
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepl View Post
The reasoning behind this is that you are maybe don't like to update at this time and the efforts for preloading already done should not be wasted.
What maybe could be changed would be that when clicking on an update button whdload terminates (nearly) and then calls openurl. This way most memory allocated by whdload could be freed and the chance to properly start the webbrowser could be increased.
I realise that this is a non-issue for graphics card users as their browser shouldn't touch the Chipram, but for Chipram-only users, I do think something needs to be changed so that their browser can open reliably. Personally, I find the time taken to load a WHDLoad slave is very short, even on a standard Amiga, so reloading I don't see as a problem personally. Maybe the action could vary depending on the free Chipram available? Also, if people don't want to update then they ought to disable the updates in their whdload.prefs file.
Old 16 February 2021, 14:46   #85
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Feel bad that I never noticed this but then when I copied over the preferences from the other CF card that does seem to be working I expected the settings to be the same and work. But I guess not. I suppose this way was a better way to learn what actually was going wrong as I understand what it's doing better!

Thanks again for that
Well that should have worked, maybe you didn't copy the correct files. Look for openurl in ENVARC. ENVARC: is always SYS:Prefs/env-archive...

I agree, better to learn these things really and in doing so you'll learn much more.
Old 13 June 2021, 21:36   #86
crazyc

Well just to revive the thread...
I am now doing my 3.2 setup and have an issue. As far as I can see my settings are the same as before. But when it tried to open ibrowse to update thebslave ibrowse fails as it cannot open a new window. This is only an issue when the whdload screen with the update slave placeholder is there.
I can run openurl from the shell and it opens ibrowse and goes to the page directly.
Seems like some kind of setting perhaps in mui? But I cannot see whats different.