English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 October 2017, 15:36   #1
Amiga1992

Recommend me a capture device to use with Amiga

I want to get serious about capturing my Amiga and probably do some livestreams, so I need a proper capture device and am looking for recommendations.

The device should be USB 2 or 3 (don't have a desktop computer), and preferably have enough inputs for analog systems. Any that do RGB SCART (are there any?), Component (?) and/or S-Video, would be ideal. I don't really care for composite video input or HDMI video input.

Must be able to capture at 50 and 60 FPS too.

Any ideas anyone? What do people use nowadays?
AmigaBill, care to recommend something?
Old 20 October 2017, 18:31   #2
system11

Micomsoft X-Capture 1 will take the normal low res video signal as-is. It requires a USB3 socket, I run mine from a Dell laptop. I think Startech make a version of it too. Don't use the newest drivers if you get one, they break low res (sigh).

The problem you will have unless you're using a linedoubler is it will freak out for a bit every time you change from low to interlace.

The big issue I still have is that most monitors are mostly 60hz and the Amiga stuff I run is all 50hz, so you can broadcast in 60 and get jitter that way, or broadcast in 50 for subtly different jitter. Ultimately I went with 50 because at least if people download the stream videos and have 50hz capable monitors they can watch it properly.

It was a scrappy stream but you can see the setup running here:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/182457824

There's a massive thread on the shmups forum about the X-capture, it's a device not without issues...
Old 20 October 2017, 19:26   #3
Amiga1992

Hey man! Thanks for that.
It's silly how I didn't think of checking the forum to my own site when thinking of this :P
I suppose the thread you mention is this one?
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46689

That looks really good! What input is it that you were using? I see what you mean about jitter, the image is wobbly. And an interlace screen (Unreal) looks messed up.

Will look into this device. I have one USB3 port "free". Does this kinda thing work through a hub? I don't have one, but I can get one.

What about the Elgato HD (not HD60)? Only has S-Video, but it could be a good budget solution, as the Micomsoft is rather steep for me at the moment.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 20 October 2017 at 19:38.
Old 20 October 2017, 23:00   #4
system11

The manual says no hubs, but I haven't tried it to find out if that's true or not. Input was through the VGA connector, RGB from a scart splitter with 5x in and 2x out:

Amiga monitor out > Scart Amp > TV
|
------> Xcapture

You have to get creative with cabling because it's hard to find SCART -> VGA + phono cables in the UK. I'd make some if I didn't hate making cables so much.

What I'm planning to do when I've resolved my A2320 problem is have amiga monitor out to the SCART/TV and the scandoubler VGA out direct into the xcapture, most of the scandoublers will hide the resolution changes from the capture unit so it doesnt get confused anymore. I proved that works, but I have terrible banding artifacts.
Old 21 October 2017, 18:21   #5
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I want to get serious about capturing my Amiga and probably do some livestreams, so I need a proper capture device and am looking for recommendations.

The device should be USB 2 or 3 (don't have a desktop computer), and preferably have enough inputs for analog systems. Any that do RGB SCART (are there any?), Component (?) and/or S-Video, would be ideal. I don't really care for composite video input or HDMI video input.

Must be able to capture at 50 and 60 FPS too.

Any ideas anyone? What do people use nowadays?
AmigaBill, care to recommend something?
Hi Akira!

I really like going the Amiga RGB -> SCART -> HDMI route. It looks great and I love the fact that both audio and video are carried together. This has been working well for me. The Magewell cards are great https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._hdmi_usb.html