English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 26 September 2007, 03:10   #1
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Open Projects

Hello there AGF team!

recently I decided to fire up my original Amiga hard disk(s) and discovered some very old work that may or may not be of use.

arround 94 - 96 i did some freelance graphics work, well it was under commision and i did see a smidgeon of cash for some of it..

well anyway.. since i mangaged to have a chat recently with the chap that commisioned the work, and although the project failed (due to some programming problems apparently) anyways i asked if i could release some work that I had done and i got the go ahead...

so i give you the detail insofar as i got it... believe me my design brief was... brief!

so the first i will lump you all with was a dungeon crawler / hired guns-esq game. The project was called CORE 274 i think... it was a while ago.

I was commisioned for environments, the brief was mars-like industrial so anyways heres a few shots, if anyones interested theres a whole work log of it.. including masks / cutters etc etc...

I was pretty much given the texture to use and thats about the only thing LOL.

ahh theres a mockup of the environment

The brief was very skimpy in the fact all i had was a maxium colour depth of 64 colours and obviously a screen size (hence the black) there was a french chap i believe whom was building or developing the gui / interface.

Heres the environment tile sets.

and i know... i was playing arround i couldn`t help it... i even put some doom graphics on it for fun

well thats a little selection, theres arround 30 odd images including frame-work and builds, tools masks and even more textures...

if anyone wants pm me and i can sort out a the whole lot... it might help or inspire... or just make you chuckles...
Old 26 September 2007, 03:24   #2
Pyromania

@Zetr0

Would you be interested in doing some new stuff for DiscreetFX?
Old 26 September 2007, 03:38   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Pyromania

always interested, what have you in mind ?
Old 26 September 2007, 09:08   #4
Pyromania

I need some graphics for a game staring Hottie.
Old 26 September 2007, 09:26   #5
viddi

Hi Zetr0.

I think this is great stuff.
And the doom gfx fit perfectly.

Come on, let´s do a small shooter out of it!!
Old 26 September 2007, 13:44   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Viddi

I appreciate it... i was such a young man back then... hmm i would of been 20 / 21

As i never got the opportunity to see what the game was going to be like there was another person doing overlays / gui's n stuff... so i had to make my own up just to see what it might of been like LOL...

I do think (even with the stuff i have one could make an easy dungeon crawler / shooter game from it.. I think that final pic (with the weapon overlay is in hires 640x256 128 cols... its been a while..

@pyromainia.

I dont mind working to a brief, what are you lookinf for, is it a community project, ie an open source developement or commercial ? prey tell

@all i have found some other stuffs that I did for a friend whom was writing his own RPG RTS type game... i shall postie... it might inspire or be of some use to some one.
Old 26 September 2007, 15:17   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Startrek The Next Generation: Starfleet Operations

In and arround the same time as CORE i was also on a personal project with a close colleage at the time (as analyst / programmers) arround 1994 but now i tihnk of it it was more mid 1995.

any my friend, Jezz was absolutley obsesed with startrek... infact i think he secretly had a uniform and some fake ears if you know what i mean LOL

he was a great bloke but anyway... his main skill was in AI (well prologue) (AI back then not the AI that is way more complicated today LOL) it was over lunch that this project started and he wanted an iso-metric Star Trek the Next Generation game that would include mission like one would see UFO or Space Crusade.

anyway.. I got some scraps of paper with some drawings and some calculations for sizes etc and Jezz was kinda enough to give me 2 jobs LOL one write the display routines (wich are easy back to front ordering) and 2 make the editor (wich i think i still have some where ) this is ontop of ALL the graphics work..

I was give a handfull of floppy disks with some stuff he had done... infact when i got to check it out, it was just cutouts of UFO sprites... so i did what i could with them... infact i was particulary pleased with the borg. but hey... i am sure i have a page of aliens too... romulan / klingon etc...

anyways here is a mock of a level... of STNG: Starfleet Operations

The above is a simple 8x8 grid, the game was destined to be in a scalable hi-res-laced (zoom-in / out ) feature so i think it went to 25x25 tiles by 4 levels onscreen ... some of the work i remeber looked pretty good... but alas it was never realised wich was a shame... but it was a fun couple of months...

anyways its been ... ohhh 10 years since i have even spoked to my friend (he moved of to the middle east late 96 or something) so I figured I would post the big sprite base that i had....

whom knows i may bring a smile to your face

Last edited by Zetr0; 26 September 2007 at 15:23. Reason: adding a title / grammar / spelling... sexual induendo's
Old 26 September 2007, 16:08   #8
viddi

Wow, very interesting my friend!

I can imagine a game with two parts:

3D shooter style levels and a strategy part in iso 3D.
Both projects could be merged into a varied game.

E.g.: The first level is in iso 3D like Space Crusade. Then you get a key card and move on into a 3D dungeon level.
Old 26 September 2007, 16:18   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@viddi

you know as much as it would be a lot of fun to partake of another project i have too many at the moment, so when i catchup perhaps then
but for the moment atleast they have achieved some food for thought LOL

but the idea of multi-format game type is certainly close to my heart.. one of the reasons i like UFO: Enemy Unknown, with the resource management / base research 'n development interspersed with isomentric combat!

but i also love dungeon crawlers like eob / chaos / captive!

hmmmm ponders....
Old 26 September 2007, 16:26   #10
viddi

Oh dear.

It´s the same here. You know, I´m working on two projects at the moment and regular work wants my attention as well.

It´s just...your graphics inspired my imagination...
Old 26 September 2007, 16:30   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@viddi

Thankies
Old 26 September 2007, 17:53   #12
kriz

Good work zetr0!
Old 27 September 2007, 00:30   #13
nujack
Zone Friend

@Zetr0: Good work man!!! Could get some help for TVBD, a remake of the C64-game "The Big Deal" for AGA-Amigas. It`s a non-profit project. If you are interested please let me know. The project is now in work for more then 3 years. Less time to complete it and gfx is very time consuming. ;O)
Old 27 September 2007, 02:04   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@nujack

send me a sample of the graphics needed or required, perhaps a small brief, and i will look at it over the weekend and see where my time-scales are...

at the moment i am behind on a small promise to hot little chille-pepper Rod_cl (i kinda got side-track this eve building an a1200 WHDLoad machine for a friend. but its all done... A1200 + 030 'n 4GB drive )
Old 27 September 2007, 04:24   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

did someone say whdload machine?

just kidding, seriously though those pictures are pretty darn good mate.
Old 27 September 2007, 13:27   #16
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@KG

thanks for praise i know your a stickler for fine art

and by the way, thanks for the WHD packs, you have made some one very happy!!!
Old 27 September 2007, 15:29   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@KG

thanks for praise i know your a stickler for fine art

and by the way, thanks for the WHD packs, you have made some one very happy!!!
Who?
Old 27 September 2007, 15:57   #18
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@KG

just some dude that loves old amiga games infact he claims that most new games (past 1992) he cannot play as to hard for him LOL he loves dune 2 though so not all that bad i supose... lol i would be suprised if he managed to find his way arround a webpage LOL...
Old 27 September 2007, 20:36   #19
Marcuz

i like what i see... cool stuff zetr0
Old 28 September 2007, 13:10   #20
oneshotdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0
The above is a simple 8x8 grid, the game was destined to be in a scalable hi-res-laced (zoom-in / out ) feature so i think it went to 25x25 tiles by 4 levels onscreen ... some of the work i remeber looked pretty good... but alas it was never realised wich was a shame... but it was a fun couple of months...
Retr0, great gfx, man!

My preference is definitely with isometric perspective over firstperson, since the former enables awareness of the environment, enhancing tactical gameplay in RPGs and RTSs alike. (I prefer the likes of UFO to say , EoB, but I like squad in UFO, not strategy aspect)

In that mockup, I think it would be better if you made the isometric rotatable rather than zoomable because that would allow you to see yourself when you walk around to the other side of a wall. You could perhaps employ transparency to partially address that problem, but fixed perspective would probably feel a little restrictive. (and why zoom anyway unless your gfx are extremely detailed)

I think even if the perspective was 4-way rotatable, just jerked around, that would be cool. Also, if you obscured the tiles and objects not in the line of sight and which had not been previously navigated, that could add something, if you did a isometric dungeon crawl. *hint hint*

The game I always wanted to see made was a RPG using a Powermonger-type engine, which employed battle tactics whose combat modifiers were dependent on terrain and obstructions in dungeons and the like (not just NPC ability), and was genuinely and ALWAYS turnbased, but only of special forces squads, not whole armies. .... this would get complex pretty fast I suppose

never got that and was left hanging, capitalists never innovate

anyway, just throwing ideas around..... I'll keep an eagle eye on this thread. If you (or anyone here) need some gfx done, I may have spare time soon for quite a while.