English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 23 February 2005, 19:23   #1
pbareges

Demo Maker

I remember an old demo maker i had working on my a500 from a few disks... it had a lot of cool features, like scrolling texts (with a lot of policies, colours and deformation features), 3d animated forms (lot of libraries).... can anyone help me to find out which one it was ? is it compatible with a1200 ? if not any whdload slave/patch available ?

thx a lot
Old 23 February 2005, 19:26   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Was it Red Sector Demomaker?
Old 23 February 2005, 19:33   #3
Amiga1992

Is there a WHDLoad version of RSI Demomaker? If not, who's up for it?
Old 23 February 2005, 21:36   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Not only would you have to patch the demomaker itself, you'd also have to patch the output files it creates as they don't work on anything other than standard A500's I believe. Quite a big job... Bags not!
Old 23 February 2005, 22:17   #5
Amiga1992

Come on Codey. Pwetty pwease? ;D
Old 24 February 2005, 01:31   #6
Djay
95th User

the rsi demomaker doesn't work on A1200, but Demomania does... grab it from my site

also... there is a PC demomaker, www.theprodukkt.com called werkzeug1

its great
Old 24 February 2005, 08:25   #7
manicx

I used to be an expert with RSI Demomaker back in the early 90s. Used to be good laugh and killed some time playing with it. I stll have a megademo I did with it.

For professional work though, I recommend Videotracker. This is the best tool for making professional looking demos in the style of Jesus on Es....
Old 24 February 2005, 15:46   #8
Amiga1992

You can't make anything but Jesus on Es style stuff with Videotracker, given the routines it comes with :P I have used Videotracker with otehr means in mind and it's a great tool, but as a demo maker, it's arse. Much better to use the karate engine!!

Jesus on Es is one of the most pathetic, overrated demos ever.
Old 24 February 2005, 16:21   #9
Jope
-

JOES looked amazing at the time, but now it looks VERY dated.

The State of the Art / 9 fingers-line held up against the time much better..
Old 24 February 2005, 18:20   #10
Djay
95th User

i agree with Akira... JoEs was very-overated, stringing a long trackmo with basic gfx effects isn't difficult... SotA is much better
Old 24 February 2005, 18:26   #11
pbareges

yeah....state of the art is my favourite one!!
Old 24 February 2005, 18:46   #12
Amiga1992

I found it to be overrated BACK THEN as well, it's boring, dull, same effects over and over, the music was arse and it lasted 20 minutes, that is, if the machine didn't crash before, because it seems all my Amigas would decide to crash themselves instead of having to face watching Jesus on Es Yes, I did have the patched vesion, no bananas, it always crashed.

Technological Death looks dated today but it's much more enjoyable.
Old 25 February 2005, 09:33   #13
redblade
Zone Friend

If it's the RSI demo maker, I think you can find it on www.amiganostalgia.com in one of the tosec collections.

good site that www.amiganostalgia.com
Old 25 February 2005, 09:48   #14
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I agree with Akira and Deej about JoEs. I found it to be dull back then and even worse now.
Old 25 February 2005, 09:50   #15
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
You can't make anything but Jesus on Es style stuff with Videotracker, given the routines it comes with :P I have used Videotracker with otehr means in mind and it's a great tool, but as a demo maker, it's arse. Much better to use the karate engine!!

Jesus on Es is one of the most pathetic, overrated demos ever.
Well, it depends on how you define a Amiga demo. Basically, 50% of the Amiga demos are like that, ie video clips with music and graphics flashing with the rythm. Famous Amiga demos like Coma, Dudbrain were like that or had parts like that. JesusOnEs was a video clip with Dance music in it. If you were into the dance scene (like I was) setting up an Amiga in a prty room and having this to play was just perfect. As for it crashing, it never crashed in my A500, A1200 or A4000 (installed it in HD in A4000).

Hence video tracker was a tool to make demos in the style of JesusOnEs and I can't think of anything better than that. If you want to make other demos either use RSI (but all demos will be the same) or ASM. I still have a wee demo I made in VT in just 10 minutes. Most of my pals are still amazed.

So, in other words, you get what you are looking for. Don't shoot software if you don't like it. It doesn't mean it's crap just because you don't like it.
Old 25 February 2005, 15:08   #16
Amiga1992

I shoot software if I don't like it. You don't shoot food if you don't like it? You don't shoot Bush if you don't like him? You don't shoot anything if you don't like it?

Fact is, this has nothing to do with a videoclip. I've listened to electronic music for as long as I can remember, and watched videoclips religiously when a wee lad, and never seen something as dull as Jesus on Es back then.

Saying that 50% of Amiga demos are like this is a tremendous fallacy, have you ever kept up with demos past 1992? From the examples you mention (Coma etc), it seems like not. Therefore you cannot speak for the majority of the Amiga demo library. Also you seem to mention RSI as the only other demotool authoring software besides VT, are you in the ranks of people who got stuck in 1992 with their A500s?

If you read above again, you'd notice I mentioned Technological Death, which has a soundtrack akin to Jesus on E's (sytle wise, (same era), and I found that to be good. Also Mayday Resistance, State of the Art (which is more akin to a "videoclip" in that case, using your definitions). But Jesus on Es? Please!

Setting up an Amiga in a party room and having that to play would be perfect in a really bad party. Sorry but real ravers surely went to real parties.

BTW, your friends are easily amazed!
Old 25 February 2005, 15:59   #17
pbareges

dear akira

will you ever let someone have the last word ?
Old 25 February 2005, 16:01   #18
pbareges

by the way i tried demo mania yesterday...it was ok ... but far from what i remembered (but you know memories are often far from reality back then).

i'll try vt this evening

thx folks
Old 25 February 2005, 16:05   #19
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

vt? .. VideoTracker? Ahh this was good .. Used to love playing with the tunnel thingy.
Old 25 February 2005, 16:45   #20
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
I shoot software if I don't like it. You don't shoot food if you don't like it? You don't shoot Bush if you don't like him? You don't shoot anything if you don't like it?
No I just ignore it and never try to brainwash the others.

Quote:
Fact is, this has nothing to do with a videoclip. I've listened to electronic music for as long as I can remember, and watched videoclips religiously when a wee lad, and never seen something as dull as Jesus on Es back then.
Well a video clip is a visual representation of a song and this is exactly what a Jesus on Es is.

Quote:
Saying that 50% of Amiga demos are like this is a tremendous fallacy, have you ever kept up with demos past 1992? From the examples you mention (Coma etc), it seems like not. Therefore you cannot speak for the majority of the Amiga demo library. Also you seem to mention RSI as the only other demotool authoring software besides VT, are you in the ranks of people who got stuck in 1992 with their A500s?
Oh, yes. Most demos past 1993 became crappy 2:2 3d. The demo scene went down to the very bottom. As for Amigas, I have 2 A4000, what do you have?

Quote:
If you read above again, you'd notice I mentioned Technological Death, which has a soundtrack akin to Jesus on E's (sytle wise, (same era), and I found that to be good. Also Mayday Resistance, State of the Art (which is more akin to a "videoclip" in that case, using your definitions). But Jesus on Es? Please!
State of the Art is good but too short. Not very keen on Technological Death. But I didn't shoot them !

Quote:
Setting up an Amiga in a party room and having that to play would be perfect in a really bad party. Sorry but real ravers surely went to real parties.

BTW, your friends are easily amazed!
It's because you've never been in a real alternative party. I 've seen Da Jormas in the Alternative Party in Finland making one of the best performances with a couple of Amiga 600s. I have the video in VHS, so if I have some time, I'll make a wee video in avi so that you can see what an Amiga can do in a party.

Last edited by manicx; 25 February 2005 at 16:52.