English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 18 September 2017, 21:00   #1
ugoraderik

[Found: The Sentinel & Knack] game with fantastic soundtrack & demo from 1987-1988

Dear all, this is my very first post, so many greetings to all and excuse me for my bad english, as I'm not a native.

I bought my (first and only) Amiga (500) when I was circa 13 years old, in 1987. It was (now I know after a bit of Googling) a early model rev.3A with embossed Commodore logo, a very loud floppy drive, PSU with super large power switch and Kickstart 1.2.
As my family was not rich, I was forced to sell, in December 1988, my Amiga 500 for a 8088 8Mhz PC when I started my secondary school, but it was really a pleasure to "mess" with my Amiga.

I had a lot of games, and a lot of utilities disks (I can't find none of them online, most of them are from >=1989, so "too recent" for me), and everything was sadly sold with the Amiga 500.

Two things are in my indelible in my memory that I wasn't able to find online: a song of a game that I'm unable to figure out what's (maybe some vector-based game), and a cracktro or a demo where a Kickstart hand (<=1.3 version) appears and the hands animates at one point, with the thumb that breaks the floppy by pressure.

So, by limiting the years on 1987-1988, may I kindly ask you some help finding the game and the cracktro/demo? I learned a bit of Ableton in order to make a very tiny audio snapshot of the song of the game that I still remember, that I attach in this post.

Thank you so much in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: zip unknown-song-amiga.zip (516.2 KB, 319 views)

Old 18 September 2017, 21:22   #2
chip

Perhaps the demo is this one ?

http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=2314
Old 18 September 2017, 22:49   #3
ugoraderik

WS 1.2 floppy breaking demo found!

Thank you a lot chip, you found (bazly fast!) the demo. Thank you SO much!
I hope someone, by hearing the mp3, can find out the game!

Old 18 September 2017, 22:53   #4
DamienD
Banned

Hello there ugoraderik,

Welcome to EAB

I've moved your thread to a better suited section where it will probably get more views i.e. the Looking for a game name ? section
Old 19 September 2017, 00:52   #5
ugoraderik

Longer version of "memory remake" of soundtrack of '87/88 game that I'm searching..

Thank you a lot DamienD!

I remembered just another bit of the song, so I added it and produced a longer mp3, hoping it can help someone finding the game.

Thanks again!
Attached Files
File Type: zip unknown-song-amiga-v1.1.zip (852.4 KB, 343 views)

Old 12 November 2019, 22:20   #6
ugorampazzo

Dear all, I posted the two years ago, and I still was unable to find the game with that song. If someone is so kindly to try to download the .zip and help, I will appreciate a lot - thanks in advance.

I have another 1987-1988 game that I don't remember the name: I can remember that it was a shot'em'all game, it had a "Lionel Richie - Say You Say Me" song theme (beautiful!) and I can also remember a *VERY PARTICULAR THING on POWER LED*: on my rev.3 Amiga (the one, similar to rev.5 that don't have resistor R587 between emitter and collector, so when the audio is switched off, the POWER LED is completely off).. when resetting on keyboard, the game prevented to return to kickstart, but you can hear on speakers something like "a roar of tiger" and power POWER LED was "blinking" but with perfect fade-in / fade-out brightness (doing some PWM-like control of POWER LED gate). Anybody can also help in that game?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13 November 2019, 18:41   #7
cry

Kinda sounds a bit like one of the tracks from Seven Gates of Jambala @ 0:22

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 November 2019, 19:14   #8
Pfloyd

The game you are looking for is "The Sentinel".
http://hol.abime.net/1876

It's a David Whittaker sound module.

Look here:
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Pfloyd; 13 November 2019 at 19:30. Reason: Added Youtube link
Old 13 November 2019, 23:16   #9
Nightshft

Off topic: The sentinel seems to be a very interesting game by Geoff Crammond (Stunt car racer).
All I remember from back then is that I didnt understand the gameplay
I will give it a shot as soon there is time.

What I just found out:
You have to rise your position on the map (which costs energy) but can gain energy from objects like trees. And the sentinel (slowly turning) may not see you or he drains your energy. When you reach a higher position than him, you can take his place and win the map.
Old 14 November 2019, 00:21   #10
ugorampazzo

Dear Pfloyd, I don't have enough English words to say at the most to THANK YOU.
I had only 2.5 years my Amiga, and I need to sell it to buy my first 8088 compatible when started high school, as money was a serious problem back in the day.
I was working in the summer for a computer shop near my home, and I was one of the earliest buyers of Amiga 500 in 1987. I decided to buy an identical machine, and try to sort out some of my memories. I'm also hacking a bit (es. I'm reverse engineering Unit-A demo), and cracking for fun some protected games.
Nowadays I've plenty of computer devices, but Amiga is just so fun! I love it!

So.. if someone can also point out the "fade-in/fade-out" game when rebooting that had "Say you, say me" by Lionel Ritchie as sound track.. I think I have the title of all my lost games. Thanks a lot, FANTASTIC AMIGA COMUNITY!
Old 14 November 2019, 10:12   #11
Pfloyd

You can find the game instructions here:
https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=1396

I like the David Whittaker soundtrack very much! That's why I immediately recognized it.
Old 14 November 2019, 12:39   #12
DamienD
Banned

Ok, so was The Sentinel (Firebird) the game you were after ugorampazzo?
Old 16 November 2019, 09:51   #13
ugorampazzo

Hi DamienD: yes, with the graciously help of EAB users I found:

1) Workbench hands than animates at one point, with the thumb that breaks the floppy by pressure: it was a Spreadpoint demo (http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=2314), pointed out in 2017 by chip.

2) "a song of a game that I'm unable to figure out what's (maybe some vector-based game)": The Sentinel (http://hol.abime.net/1876) with fantastic David Whittaker sound module, pointed out in 2019 by Pfloyd (thanks!)

There's only a question left, if somebody want to help me again (thanks in advance): I have another 1987-1988 game that I don't remember the name: I can remember that it was a shot'em'all game, it had a "Lionel Richie - Say You Say Me" song theme (beautiful!) remake and I can also remember a VERY PARTICULAR THING on POWER LED: on my rev.3 Amiga.. when resetting with keyboard sequence after running the game, the game prevented the correct return to Kickstart ROM, and you can hear on speakers something like "a roar of tiger" and POWER LED was "blinking" with perfect fade-in / fade-out brightness (doing some PWM-like control of POWER LED gate). Anybody can also help in that game?
Old 16 November 2019, 10:28   #14
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugorampazzo View Post
... and POWER LED was "blinking" with perfect fade-in / fade-out brightness (doing some PWM-like control of POWER LED gate).
Anch'io lo ricordo ma non il gioco..

Is this your reverse engineering?
[ Show youtube player ]

EDIT:
It's a shame, I searched through my old code but it was probably long time lost, too much old.
I remember that I also wrote code for LED control when I still had my first Amiga 500 KS1.2 to do special effects,
including the fade in/out you talk about and even more in a kind of 'dance'.

Last edited by ross; 16 November 2019 at 11:11.
Old 16 November 2019, 15:45   #15
Don_Adan

Quote:

1) Workbench hands than animates at one point, with the thumb that breaks the floppy by pressure: it was a Spreadpoint demo (http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=2314), pointed out in 2017 by chip.

2) "a song of a game that I'm unable to figure out what's (maybe some vector-based game)": The Sentinel (http://hol.abime.net/1876) with fantastic David Whittaker sound module, pointed out in 2019 by Pfloyd (thanks!)

There's only a question left, if somebody want to help me again (thanks in advance): I have another 1987-1988 game that I don't remember the name: I can remember that it was a shot'em'all game, it had a "Lionel Richie - Say You Say Me" song theme (beautiful!) remake and I can also remember a VERY PARTICULAR THING on POWER LED: on my rev.3 Amiga.. when resetting with keyboard sequence after running the game, the game prevented the correct return to Kickstart ROM, and you can hear on speakers something like "a roar of tiger" and POWER LED was "blinking" with perfect fade-in / fade-out brightness (doing some PWM-like control of POWER LED gate). Anybody can also help in that game?
Zitrax, custom module available on the Wanted Team page.
Old 16 November 2019, 16:35   #16
ugorampazzo

@Don_Adan You guys rocks big time, Don Adan.. it was Zitrax, you got it! Yellow fadein/fadeout + led power fade (I will checkout the code for fun!)

@ross yes, I'm checking out some Unit-A code (intro), both the usual loadseg() executable (the most famous found on FA-18 Interceptor), both the non-DOS/fast-boot (found in Starglider 2). I'm also checking a cracked version from Unit-A of the game Obliterator.

GUYS, THANK YOU A LOT, YOU FOUND ALL GAMES I WASN'T ABLE TO REMEMBER THE NAME.. THANKS A LOT!

=========================================
SCANDAL, SCANDAL!!!! YOU KNOW GUENTHER KRAEMER (BLADERUNNER) THE AUTHOR OF THE COPYPROGRAM FAST'EM? HE IS A THIEF, BECAUSE HE USES IN HIS FAST'EM THE ORIGINAL FAST LIGHTNING COPYROUTINES, THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME BYTE FOR BYTE. GIVE HIM A KICK, IF YOU MEET HIM ............. BUT NOW ........ UNIT A AND RAGE & DYNAMIC SYSTEMS PROUDLY PRESENTS INTERCEPTOR! ORIGINAL BY RAGE, CRACKED BY UNIT A ON 02/06/88. THANKS TO THE NEXT GENERATION. NOTE: THIS WAS CRACK NUMBER 41 OF 50 IN ALL, CRACK NUMBER 50 IS THE END OF UNIT A AND OUR LAST ONE !!! FAST LIGHTNINGS TO: ABC, AXXESS, BITSTOPPERS, BITKILLERSOFT, BAMIGA SECTOR ONE & KENT TEAM, CHAMPS, DEFJAM, HQC, HOTLINE, KNIGHT HAWKS, LORD BLITTER, LIGHTFORCE, MAJOR ROM AND QUADLITE, MOVERS, MR ZERO PAGE, MR RAM & EXECUTER, PHR-CREW, PARAMOUNT, RSI & MZP, STEEL PULSE, TLC, THE NEW MASTERS, THE WEB INC., VISITORS, WARRIORS OF DARKNESS AND ALL THE OTHERS WE KNOW ........ DIZ SAYS, THAT MARK II'S MUSIC IS ALWAYS THE BEST !!! PRESS RIGHT MOUSEBUTTON TO EXIT!
=========================================
Old 16 November 2019, 16:52   #17
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Zitrax, custom module available on the Wanted Team page.
Thanks Dan.

Ok, since I'm an old fart I totally forgotten that I even patched this game for big Amigas!
I didn't remembered the name but something told me that the game wasn't great, probably some neurons still alive
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=87218

Last edited by ross; 16 November 2019 at 17:03. Reason: spelling
Old 16 November 2019, 17:47   #18
DamienD
Banned

Quote:

Great, thread title updated