English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 February 2011, 00:19   #1
brett71

Need advice for removing SIMM from a GVP A500-HD8+

I bought a GVP A500-HD8+ from a guy who said the unit was supposed to have 8MB of memory on-board, but it turns out to only have 4MB. I've sourced some replacement memory chips that should work in this, but I'm having trouble getting the existing chips out. The memory modules go into a sort of slot, and then two little notches come up to the holes on the sides to lock the module in place. I'm having a hard time finding a way to get those side things to release the chip enough that maybe I can slide it out.

Has anyone done a memory module change on one of these that can recommend an easy way to get these suckers out without wrecking the socket?

Thanks!
Old 17 February 2011, 00:30   #2
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

I don't know if they are the plastic type or metal type.

If the clips are plastic, you just bend one out enough to provide clearance, place a small piece of plastic behind it so it cannot go back into the hole, repeat on the other side. To actually take the simm out then rock it back and forward, just the merest amount in case it's become lodged due to age / contacts / etc. and pull it gently upwards to get it out.

If they are the metal type, stop listening to Slayer and using two fingers on one hand, splay the metal outwards and use your other hand to remove the simm.

Sometimes the simms come out straight, other times they must be moved forward at an angle to remove them, the A4000 main board uses this technique as an example.

Above all else, be gentle.
Old 17 February 2011, 00:30   #3
rare_j
Zone Friend

The two little notches move - pull them back at the same time and pull the sim out backwards at the angle it is sitting. I think I used two tiny screwdivers to hold the notches while a helpful person carefully pulled the sim out.
The trick is not to break the notches- they are stiff and look delicate. And you have to do it x 4!
Good luck and remember if you break the notches you'll have a terrible time getting the new sims to stay in place - so gently gently.
Old 17 February 2011, 00:45   #4
brett71

Yeah, these are the plastic types. I'm familiar with ones with the metal clips on the ends that you spread out and the chip pops up at you. If it had been those kind, I would've been done removing them already. hehehehe

Got two out so far with no apparent damage to the socket or the notches! I used a couple of my health insurance ID cards (thick, laminated cards...I thought about credit cards, but wasn't sure if they'd be too stiff) shoved them between the SIMM and the notches, then with a small pliers, gently rocked the SIMM Back and forth and pulled in the direction the SIMM should come out and eventually it popped out!

All SIMMS removed successfully! Thanks for the advice guys!

Last edited by TCD; 17 February 2011 at 11:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.