English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 01 November 2014, 01:23   #1
djukon

Keyboard Layout History (dvorak)

When did the Amiga include additional keyboard layouts? In the KS/WB 1.2 release (1987)? I can't seem to find setmap or equivalent in KS/WB 1.0 and 1.1 disks.

The purpose of this topic is to clarify the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard wikipedia article regarding the Amiga. Currently it is the vague:

Quote:
Some Amiga operating systems enable the user to modify the keyboard layout by opening up the keyboard input preference and selecting "Dvorak" or "usa2". Earlier Amiga systems also came with the Dvorak keymap available on the "Extras" disk that came with the computer. By copying the keymap to the Workbench disk, editing the startup scripts, and then rebooting, Dvorak was usable in many Workbench application programs.
And Marcus Brooks wrote:

Quote:
Dvorak has been built into the Amiga's Workbench since day 1. If I recall correctly, the CLI command was setmap usa2. Peter Seebach says you can also select Dvorak in the Input preferences program, if it is installed.
Old 01 November 2014, 10:54   #2
djukon

According to Greg Donner's Workbench history site, version 1.2 includes:

Quote:
Addition of Setmap allowed different national character sets
Old 01 November 2014, 20:48   #3
djukon

I've enhanced the Wikipedia article to:

Quote:
Amiga operating systems from the 1986 version 1.2 onward enable the user to modify the keyboard layout by using the setmap command line utility with "usa2" as an argument, or later in 3.x systems by opening up the keyboard input preference widget and selecting "Dvorak". Amiga systems versions 1.2 and 1.3 came with the Dvorak keymap on the Workbench disk. Versions 2.x came with the keymaps available on the "Extras" disk. In 3.0 and 3.1 systems, the keymaps were on the "Storage" disk. By copying the respective keymap to the Workbench disk or installing the system to a hard drive, Dvorak was usable in Workbench application programs.
It still misses information concerning AmigaOS 3.5, 3.9 and 4.x. If anyone has these handy and could verify, that'd be great. Thanks.
Old 07 February 2020, 16:08   #4
NLS
Ancient User

Found this fossil thread with Google.
I remember original A500 (first gen, 1.2) manual -at least- did list Dvorak in the available keyboards the computer could be sold with.
I.e. Printed on the physical keyboard, not just the keymap.
Can someone verify this?

I wonder if this is the case, then how many were sold like that.
Old 10 February 2020, 08:08   #5
djukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Found this fossil thread with Google.
Wow, and I had forgotten I had started this until EAB notified me of a reply.

Quote:
I remember original A500 (first gen, 1.2) manual -at least- did list Dvorak in the available keyboards the computer could be sold with.
On page 139 (5-49) of the 1987 version of the Introduction to the A500, the Dvorak layout is listed. It is not present in the C-8 to C-22 section (international keyboard layouts).

@NLS, was this what you were recalling? Or are you referring to another manual?

Quote:
I.e. Printed on the physical keyboard, not just the keymap. Can someone verify this? I wonder if this is the case, then how many were sold like that.
This is the first time I'm reading about the Dvorak layout being manufactured and sold directly. Could it have been an aftermarket keycap switcheroo?

From the SetMap section in the manual:
Quote:
There are several different keyboards available for the Amiga.
[...]
Note: Not all of the keyboards listed above and shown on the pages following are currently manufactured. It is also possible that other key maps may become available. Consult your Amiga dealer for information about availability.

Last edited by djukon; 10 February 2020 at 08:11. Reason: emphasis on "not"
Old 10 February 2020, 09:21   #6
NLS
Ancient User

This is the manual, although I cannot be sure about the version.
I remember distinctly the Dvorak version listed AND SHOWN in the ending pages (most probably exactly in the international keyboard layouts). This is why I talk about physical.

I cannot verify my claim before I find my own A500 manual, IF I have the original.
You see I "swapped" at least two A500 back then (my first one was a "first gen" V1.2, while my last one is a pre-Plus version, that I manually almost turned to Plus) and I don't remember if I also gave away the older manuals.

I know setmaps where available for many many layouts (Greek layout for example) that where never made physically.
But I remember Dvorak displayed in the style of the C manual section.
I actually remember it distinctly for one reason. Because it was the first time I learned about a "Dvorak" keyboard and didn't know about it before (and I didn't even know where it comes from - thinking it might even be some Eastern European layout).

Anyway. Will check this evening if I have that manual still.
Old 11 February 2020, 08:00   #7
djukon

Quote:
Anyway. Will check this evening if I have that manual still.
Thanks, NLS, keep us updated on this. I will also look for the A500 manual that came with my A500 Plus (go figure ). Possibly, the last edition of the A500 manual. It most likely will take longer to find, though.
Old 12 February 2020, 18:54   #8
NLS
Ancient User

I checked. My A500 manual is definitely not my FIRST one. Apparently I gave it away with my first A500.
The one I have doesn't have Dvorak in C section.
Damn. How would I know almost 30 years ago that I should keep it...

So case closed for now, let's classify it as a personal brain f*rt, until someone finds the manual I remember (AFAIK it is not in TOSEC PIX either).
Old 18 February 2020, 07:42   #9
djukon

Quote:
The one I have doesn't have Dvorak in C section. [...] So case closed for now, [...] (AFAIK it is not in TOSEC PIX either).
Thanks for the update, NLS. I should eventually find my own manual in the next months and check back.