English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 August 2008, 13:04   #1
fc.studio
Cat lover

Question Incompatible Atari (dual) Joysticks?

I bought from e-bay 2x used Joysticks for Atari, branded Texas Instruments model PHP1100. Unfortunately they don't work. It's not a great loss since I paid for them only about € 6,00 shipping included, but what I would like to know is if they do not work 'cause:

- some 9 pin Atari Joysticks are not compatible with our Amiga.
- really, these are not 2 joysticks, but a dual joystick, that is 2 controllers both ending to the same and single 9 pin connector. I saw this only when they arrived. Could our Amiga support them? How would they work?
- simply damaged.

Your opinions? Thanks.
Old 02 August 2008, 17:21   #2
Jope
-

That's incorrect.

Those sticks are for the TI99/4A

Pinout: http://www.hardwarebook.info/TI-99/4A_Joystick_Port

Didn't take me a lot of googling to find this out..

http://chung.yikes.com/~leonard/mirrors/ti99/
Quote:
# Wired Remote Controllers - "You can control arcade game action with the eight-position remote control joystick. An important accessory for every serious game-player." Model number: PHP1100
Judging by the pinout, the machine will poll them one after another, with the sticks connecting "test joystick #" to the direction you're pushing..

So it might be easy to make an adapter that allows you to use one of the sticks in an atari compatible port.

Better sell them to some TI collector, perhaps you might make a profit.

Last edited by Jope; 02 August 2008 at 17:29.
Old 02 August 2008, 17:32   #3
fc.studio
Cat lover

Thanks Jope! No directions or fire is detected on pushing it.
Old 02 August 2008, 17:34   #4
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Texas-Instrument...ayphotohosting
Old 02 August 2008, 17:41   #5
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

@fc.Studio
This also work well in amiga, and are great imho!

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-Official-SEGA-M...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02 August 2008, 20:15   #6
fc.studio
Cat lover

@Jope: Therefore this dual controller is only for TI-99/4a and requires soldering to be compatible with both Atari or Amiga?

@Yotox...: It's the same model I have, but the seller reported it was for Atari, so I bought it (Sigh!). I already have the 2 SEGA Megadrive controllers and they work well as you state, but nothing beats my 20 years old Albatros Joystick.
Old 02 August 2008, 20:38   #7
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Well if you really like models similar to those T1-99/4a i believe you can modify them to make them work with amiga.The problem is that you will only have 1 "fire" button.
I think you can make them compatible with Amiga/Atari but you will have to reposition the wires in the joystick PCB, check Jope´s schematic concerning those T1 models and look at the amiga/atari schematic below; I posted this one earlier but removed it to add the second button.(Just in case you find a way to add another)
Making the modificaion is not particularly hard, but you should take care and test it with a Test Lamp or a Multimeter. Amiga joystick do not need +5 Volt, nevertheless you should take care with pin 7 voltage supply, as i said before is unneded (in that joystick model at least) and should not be connected!
This Diagram below shows the D-sub 9-pin connector facing you.

Last edited by Yoto; 02 August 2008 at 21:03.
Old 03 August 2008, 11:05   #8
fc.studio
Cat lover

@Yotoxionomai: Many thanks for sharp info, but surely I would destroy the controller if I try to modify it. I'll go to re-sell it if a TI-99/4a owner is interested.

@Jope: as I wrote before, NO (wrong) directions or fire is detected on pushing it. Do you believe this is damaged?

Last edited by fc.studio; 03 August 2008 at 11:19.
Old 06 August 2008, 16:36   #9
Jope
-

I thought it was clear from my writing + link and Yotoxionomai's diagrams that this won't do anything if you just plug it in.

You might even burn something if you pull down on the stick, as that connects +5 to GND for stick1.

So no, they are not broken if they don't work with an Amiga, but the machine (TI 99/4A) reads the joysticks very differently (see my post above about the machine polling the sticks).

Last edited by Jope; 06 August 2008 at 21:10.
Old 07 August 2008, 15:30   #10
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I thought it was clear from my writing + link and Yotoxionomai's diagrams that this won't do anything if you just plug it in.

You might even burn something if you pull down on the stick, as that connects +5 to GND for stick1.

So no, they are not broken if they don't work with an Amiga, but the machine (TI 99/4A) reads the joysticks very differently (see my post above about the machine polling the sticks).
Surely you were clear... but unfortunately my ignorance about diagrams and pinout didn't let me understand. Sincerly I thought that on using the joystick(s) I could get at least some wrong (Amiga) reactions. However now I know I was lucky to have my Amiga joystick port working yet. Thanks.
Old 07 August 2008, 23:01   #11
Jope
-

Ok..

I think it's best to just sell those to some TI fanatic for use in a TI machine.. I don't know how rare they are, but seeing that Atari compatible sticks are very common, I'd personally keep those TI sticks as they are..

Something tells me that they're worth more when TI compatible than modified to be Atari compatible.