English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 March 2005, 13:33   #1
buckrogers

For all you SSI AD&D "Gold Box" FREAKS

Stumbled upon a remake of the early 1990's game Never Winter Nights (not the recently released 3D version). A Gold Box game based on the Pool of Radiance (again the original 1988 release not the recent version) engine but featuring online game play through AOL was about in the 90's.

For the low down:
http://www.bladekeep.com/nwn/main.shtml

The resurrection:
http://www.forgottenworld.com/

Not a lot of info for the uninitiated, but have a look at the screen captures to get an idea:

http://www.forgottenworld.com/caps.htm

Download the FW Alpha files and pre-requisite files to get started.

Still in Alpha stage, no sound, and buggy, but if you dig the old school "Gold Box" games, then get behind this project! Donate via PayPal!

My character's name is Cynthia by the way, so if you get online, hail me and we'll go reminiscing together by bashin orcs.
Old 24 March 2005, 13:45   #2
wlcina

downloadin ;-)

omg, need to download 218mb Direct X sdk :-/

ps sdk installed, and still not working (have ati mobility card on laptop) only debug message appears and finishes :-/

Last edited by wlcina; 24 March 2005 at 14:06.
Old 24 March 2005, 13:56   #3
oldpx

OMG!

Lovely man, thanks!

Old 24 March 2005, 14:10   #4
buckrogers

BTW, the instructions on getting started are outdated and unclear. You need to register on the website first, and possibly "select your character" on the website too. This is done via the communities page. On the left hand side you should see the option to select your character. This is what is meant by ..."The character name must be one from the FW Message Boards."

Now, in the menu screen that greets you in the game proper, the Start game icon may not be active. Highlight your chosen characters name in the column to the right. If the start game icon is STILL not active, right click on the start game icon and it will change to say "Update". Select this option, and client files will be updated. The start game icon shoudl now be active. Click it, select your screen choice, press the Login icon, which will change to play, select this and away you go. If the game drops out or does not boot, or you get a text box appear at the top of the screen when entering commands like "encamp", try loading the game again, it worked for the second time around.

I have a feelin' there's going to be lots of Amiga freaks waiting anxiously for the beta release.

And pxscroll, when adventuring in the realms of the Forgotten World, do please leave the sheep alone!

Last edited by buckrogers; 24 March 2005 at 14:14. Reason: parts missing
Old 24 March 2005, 14:13   #5
buckrogers

You also need Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1. I found it quicker to download from the FW site itself rather than from MS':

http://www.forgottenworld.com/downloads/dotnetfx.exe.

If it crashes the first time try again. I don't know what its like when others are online, but the potential has me salavating.

Old 24 March 2005, 14:24   #6
oldpx

I saw you in the lounge but you were too hasty to leave hehe.

Old 24 March 2005, 14:26   #7
wlcina

I think he sights your sheep staring at him ;-)
Old 24 March 2005, 14:52   #8
buckrogers

Wlcina, what do they do to sheep lovers like pxscroll in Slovkia?

Hey Sheep lover, you were in the game, where did you go?

I tried sending you an in-game message but I got trapped in the help screen and I could not get out of it.

Last edited by buckrogers; 24 March 2005 at 14:56. Reason: Saw pxscroll
Old 24 March 2005, 15:41   #9
oldpx

Hmm don't you thnk that joke lost its spirit a bit?

Old 24 March 2005, 15:48   #10
buckrogers

Not really. . But OK. I'll leave the sheep thing be.
Old 24 March 2005, 15:48   #11
oldpx

Old 24 March 2005, 20:29   #12
Marcuz

i stumbled on that some year ago but i gave up as i had almost lost interest in the gold box serie with Unlimited Adventures and i have'nt understood much of this cproject. but i would like to listen you guys after you have tryied it
Old 25 March 2005, 07:01   #13
buckrogers

OK. So its not the pinnacle of online gaming. And its value lies in nostalgia.

But I can only imagine what the original NWN must have been like with hundreds on adventurers online. I always loved the goldbox game engine, despite all its short comings and age.

If FW reaches gets beyond beta, and regularly attracts gamers, the trips down memory lane will not get much better. At worst, its great for short goes when the mood strikes.
Old 25 March 2005, 19:14   #14
§ane

I've dreamed of playing this sub-genre of games on a grander scale! Thanks for posting this, buck'.

In this so called Forgotten World, I do like the idea that you're controlling only one character, and then by meeting other individuals, like yourself, you can form an awesome party, correcto?

Question though, it is even possible for your life to be taken from you in the Alpha, or is it really a series of coincidences and profound luck that I am left more or less unscathed after a deadly battle where my HP is reduced to zero? Grave, headstone, R.I.P? That's a huge bug in my eyes!

Death and having to start all over will teach the player, values, discipline, strategy, and that fleeing is worth considering when the odds are against!

An immediate and real threat to your existence will amount to more fun!

Ultimately, death will aid in the restore of balance (between Player Characters) to any (online) RPG, in my opinion. Something to think about.

I'm rambling, yes.

What are the different acronyms in the attribute system, correct me where I am wrong.

MGT = STR = Might || Strength
INT = INT = Intelligence
INS = WIS = ? || Wisdom
AGI = DEX = Agility || Dexterity
FOR = CON = Fortitude || Constitution
PER = CHA = Personality || Charisma

DL = AC = Damage Limit? (higher==better) || Armor Class (lower==better)
HP = HP = Hit Points

I'd RTFM if I could find the manual pertaining to this Forgotten World.

As for software bugs, I found none other than null entries in a shopkeeper's list of wares.

And so, I'm gearing up for another session.
Old 26 March 2005, 05:48   #15
buckrogers

If you select "test server" before login, you can level up without needing the requisite exp, to test classes and class combinations.

I have been told by a user who has played from the start that whenever the programmers do a new build, all characters get wiped from the server. You have to start from scratch again. This is because they do not want characters from the older build being unbalanced in the new build. So who knows what changes will take place with the beta build. But your point is a good one. Funnily enough, in the new 3D NWN, one of the top ranked server worlds also has mortality removed from the game. Must be a "feel good" thing.

If you meet up with other adventurers, and you stand right next to them, their name will appear in your party list. Use the up and down arrows to highlight their name, choose, have a look at their character, and you can select the "follow" option. That you are on auto pilot goning wherever they go. Of course it might be a good idea to enter into dialogue and get permission to join them first. Press F1 for instructions. Your breakdown of the stats is correct. I do not know how the AC works. All very un-user friendly at the moment - lack of docs, user controls, website in general.

They are migrating to a new forum set-up, one similar to EAB. I suggest as newcomers, we post our suggestions, principally, making the whole thing for newcomers more accessible.