English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 August 2021, 00:05   #21
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Adding anything between the accelerator and the motherboard won't fit in either the original case or the Checkmate case (as I pointed out before) for any standard length accelerator. The edge connector for Zorro slots adds around 10mm beyond the contact area; I doubt the assembly of card + connector would fit where you expect it to, with the board itself being 100mm tall and the space under the floppy drive being 80mm wide you'll need to make extensive modifications to the case, possibly ditching the floppy drive and maybe even changing to the shorter form A1200 motherboard if yours happens to be an earlier revision.
Yes, there are some limitations, but these are hills not mountains. And if you look close at the Amiga, mountains have been conquered. RTG on standard A1200 in a A1200 case - maybe combined with the flicker fixer? Seems like a hill, not a mountain.

What is that FPGA chip doing on the Indivision MK3 anyway? Anything in the near future?
Old 25 August 2021, 10:11   #22
Daedalus

I never said it was insurmountable, but the best approach to take is most likely the Warp approach, which you've spent considerable time and energy trying to rubbish. As I already pointed out, you don't have the space in there for any other solution without relocating the accelerator as well as the bus logic and Zorro slot. But you know best, so work away. I expect you'll have working prototypes within a few weeks while also replying to hundreds of nagging and demanding emails, doing your day job and spending time with your family. Don't forget to check on all the forum posts criticising your work when it takes far longer than other people want.

As for the FPGA chip - what do you think it's doing on there? Do you think an expensive chip has been put on there with no function, just in case someone comes up with a good idea for it years down the road? Or do you think that perhaps it is used for sampling the raw data from the custom chips and storing them in a frame buffer to be later output by the DAC / video driver at an arbitrary scan rate?