English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 03 December 2019, 09:08   #1
elowan

Red face Need help with adding extra RAM to AmigaOS4.1FE install

hi there,

a year or two ago, I tried to get my emulated Amiga Classic 4.1FE up to more ram - but after some trouble with AMI Update, I destroyed my install somehow....

now that I got a bit more time, I did a fresh install of 4.1FE in FS-UAE and managed to get network running and this time the updater just has left three entries for 3rd party software, that it can not install because of "no path" issue. (IBrowse, Greek Translation and xadmaster.libraray LhA client)

oh - for iBrowse it pops up a message: "Interpreter: executing non-function in line 32" and does not install... hmmm

the xad_lha.lha does not seem to load, progressbar stays at 0%, File size: 0 of 0 - so I canceled this one.

No matter what, I decided to add some RAM.

I was adding 512MB of Zorro III RAM in my FS-UAE config, adding the "NORAMPAGER" option to S:/Startup sequence file and rebooted... nothing!

Workbench shows 128MB (from CyberstormPPC I guess) and a mere 4MB PicassoIV, but no extra RAM.

I can only go up to 1280x720 or so in resolution - was hoping to up this a little more by adding some extra RAM.

Any ideas, clues what I did wrong?
What am I missing?

Cheers!
Old 04 December 2019, 09:35   #2
elowan

hmmmm - maybe I shoudl ask different:

What to do to have higher screen.res in AmigaOS 4.1fFE emulation?
How to make ZorroIII RAM work?

Cheers!
Old 04 December 2019, 10:44   #3
amigafreak68k

ZIII RAM is only available with Update 1 of 4.1FE. Is it installed?
Old 04 December 2019, 11:29   #4
elowan

hello,

yes - I think so. I did run the automatic updater and except for:

A greek translation
iBrowser Update
xad_lha.lha

everything else was installed.

How can I make 100% sure, if Update 1 was installed?

Thanks
Old 04 December 2019, 12:10   #5
tero

It's written in the top-bar. something like' AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition update 1' and behind that your available RAM. Or in the right click-menu in Workbench/Version-About.
Don't expect 1080p when using a Picasso IV. It only has 4mb of RAM, that's not enough for higher resolutions.
You need to use the UAE device for that but as far as i know that's not supported in the current FS-UAE. Maybe when Frode updates the UAEcore.

EDIT: to use Zorro3 RAM you need to edit your startup-sequence.
The c:bootloader line need to look like this:
C:Bootloader Commandline "norampager"

I'm not sure if that was everything. But it is explained in the readme of the update.

Last edited by tero; 04 December 2019 at 12:22.
Old 04 December 2019, 12:12   #6
amigafreak68k

I don't know. Surely about the version strings.

As I remember, the Update 1 have some installer requester opened during the install. If you doesn't remember on it, I think it's not installed.

I think, it's better to download the Update 1 from Hyperions website and install it manually.
Old 05 December 2019, 09:16   #7
elowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
It's written in the top-bar. something like' AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition update 1' and behind that your available RAM. Or in the right click-menu in Workbench/Version-About.
Don't expect 1080p when using a Picasso IV. It only has 4mb of RAM, that's not enough for higher resolutions.
You need to use the UAE device for that but as far as i know that's not supported in the current FS-UAE. Maybe when Frode updates the UAEcore.

EDIT: to use Zorro3 RAM you need to edit your startup-sequence.
The c:bootloader line need to look like this:
C:Bootloader Commandline "norampager"

I'm not sure if that was everything. But it is explained in the readme of the update.

Great! So I startet the AMI-Updater, but it looks like it did not install the Update 1 - it just updated some other stuff, it seems!

Now - I DL the Update 1 manually some time ago and installed this on by extracting the lha and starting the installer...

Finally it says "4.1 FE Update1 " in my WB and the extra ZorroIII RAM is recognized as well

For the resolution - there is no fix/way to make it like 1440x900 or something like this? Hopefully, this will be possible any time soon.

Lastly, I saw that WHDLoad is now free/donation Ware. AmigaOS 4.1 was shipped with an unregistered version of it and needed a keyfile... but today you can not buy them anymore...

Is there a way to use the latest, free version of WHDLoad with all the pre-installed cinemaware games? I think they have a script or something installed to start from WHDLoad or something?

What files do I need to replace, to have free version working with all stuff that´s already installed on my OS?

best regards
Old 05 December 2019, 09:17   #8
elowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigafreak68k View Post
I don't know. Surely about the version strings.

As I remember, the Update 1 have some installer requester opened during the install. If you doesn't remember on it, I think it's not installed.

I think, it's better to download the Update 1 from Hyperions website and install it manually.

Very good idea, thank you !
Old 06 December 2019, 14:17   #9
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elowan View Post
What files do I need to replace, to have free version working with all stuff

that´s already installed on my OS?
Just download the file from whdload and install it.

Here is the link:

http://whdload.de/whdload/WHDLoad_usr.lha

You will have to run the emulator software inside the emulator ... which sucks
so I just copied off the Cinemaware software to a different system and use
it from WB3.xx - you will be happier.

Hope this helps!