English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 June 2015, 13:36   #1
TenLeftFingers

Snapshot Amiga Shell window?

There is no menu for Amiga shell, but I don't like the default position of it and my mouse isn't in great shapes at the moment. Is it possible to snapshot the position at the bottom 20% of the screen rather than do it manually each time?
Old 15 June 2015, 13:58   #2
mark_k

I don't think it's possible to snapshot the window as such, however you can change the WINDOW tooltype in the Shell icon so it opens up with your desired size/position. For example
WINDOW=CON:0/200//56/My_Shell

should cause it to open in the bottom 56 lines of a non-interlaced PAL Workbench screen. [Not specifying a width (hence the //) causes the window to be as wide as the screen.]
Old 15 June 2015, 14:05   #3
jPV

You can give window size and position parameters in pixels when opening a new shell.

If you're opening the shell by clicking its icon, edit the WINDOW tooltype for it. Or if you're using hotkey or toolbar button or simlar where you use NewCLI or NewShell commands, you can give same kind of option for them too.

From AmigaOS manual:

Code:
To create a custom window, you can include the <window specification> argument. Specify the initial dimensions, location, and title of the window with this <window specification> syntax:

CON:x/y/width/height/title/options

where:

x - Is the number of pixels from the left edge of the screen to the left border of the Shell window. Use a value (//) to specify the minimum possible pixels.

y - Is the number of pixels from the top of the screen to the top of the Shell window. Use no value (//) to specify the minimum possible pixels.

width - Is the width of the Shell window, in pixels. Use no value (//) to specify the full width of the screen.

height - Is the height of the Shell window, in pixels. Use no value (//) to specify minimum possible height.
So, for example:

NewShell WINDOW="CON:/50//200/AmigaShell/CLOSE"

opens a window as wide as the screen, but 50 pixels under the top edge and 200 pixels high.
Old 15 June 2015, 16:38   #4
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
... however you can change the WINDOW tooltype in the Shell icon so it opens up with your desired size/position. For example
WINDOW=CON:0/200//56/My_Shell

should cause it to open in the bottom 56 lines of a non-interlaced PAL Workbench screen. [Not specifying a width (hence the //) causes the window to be as wide as the screen.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
You can give window size and position parameters in pixels when opening a new shell.

If you're opening the shell by clicking its icon, edit the WINDOW tooltype for it. Or if you're using hotkey or toolbar button or simlar where you use NewCLI or NewShell commands, you can give same kind of option for them too.

From AmigaOS manual:

Code:
To create a custom window, you can include the <window specification> argument. Specify the initial dimensions, location, and title of the window with this <window specification> syntax:

CON:x/y/width/height/title/options

where:

x - Is the number of pixels from the left edge of the screen to the left border of the Shell window. Use a value (//) to specify the minimum possible pixels.

y - Is the number of pixels from the top of the screen to the top of the Shell window. Use no value (//) to specify the minimum possible pixels.

width - Is the width of the Shell window, in pixels. Use no value (//) to specify the full width of the screen.

height - Is the height of the Shell window, in pixels. Use no value (//) to specify minimum possible height.
So, for example:

NewShell WINDOW="CON:/50//200/AmigaShell/CLOSE"

opens a window as wide as the screen, but 50 pixels under the top edge and 200 pixels high.
Thank you so much both of you! I found the information on how to do this here: http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS...ng_a_Tool_Type

I wonder would there be enough interest in an ask/stackoverflow style of site for Amiga to warrant setting one up.