English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 03 May 2023, 18:01   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hehe, cool game At least those two weren't mine, but they have now been fixed. Thanks for the heads up
Old 03 May 2023, 23:43   #42
Mikket

Hi

The Memohex & Hextime was made by me. It was released in the december 1993 Mikrobitti advert. Coding,graphics and that awful music are mine.

I used the "Children Aid" -logo, because I had then 3 under 4 years old children and tried the "from bedrooms to billions" method. I got 500 mk from Avesoft (133 e).
As a funny side note in the other part of that magazine, there is a picture of a skinny young nerd student getting a "pc-user of the year" price (Linus Torvalds).

The game runs on an A500 512kb. It is made with Amos Basic.
I upload it to the Zone.

Mikko Ketonen

Last edited by Mikket; 03 May 2023 at 23:54.
Old 04 May 2023, 00:07   #43
NPI

Thank you Mikket. Very cool.

https://hol.abime.net/6939
Old 04 May 2023, 05:42   #44
Mikket

Thank you NPI for adding my game!
Old 04 May 2023, 08:44   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you Mikket and NPI
Old 04 May 2023, 15:41   #46
Master484

Thanks for sharing the game Mikket.

This gives me hope that all of these Avesoft games can actually be found and added to HOL and other places.

Do you also have the physical Avesoft published disk for it, so that we might add a scan of the disk cover to HOL ? Or do you have the ADF only ?

---

Also I found out something interesting about Super Bumper.

There is a pinball game that resembles it, and it's called Macadam Bumper.

Here is a video of the game on different platforms:

[ Show youtube player ]

Check out the loading screens of the Spectrum and Amstrad versions at 1:06 and 4:05. The green haired dude in those screens resembles the guy that's in the bottom of the status panel in Super Bumper. Also the colors and patterns on the pinball machine are similar.

Macadam Bumper came out on the Atari ST, and an Amiga version was apparently planned, but ultimately cancelled.

So the Amiga version gets cancelled, but then this Super Bumper game appears; a game with a similar name, similar theme, and even the dude from the loading screen of the other game is there. There is something strange going on here.
Old 04 May 2023, 16:12   #47
Mikket

No, I have not found the physical disc, alltough I ordered one (maybe I was the only one to order ) But I try to find it ...
This adf was a copy of the disk I sent to Avesoft.

Last edited by Mikket; 04 May 2023 at 16:17.
Old 04 May 2023, 16:28   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Since we have more than one contributor now I've renamed the folder on the file server to 'FinnishGames' (instead of 'Master484') and added Hextime / Memohex to it. Here a direct link to the folder on the file server: http://ftp2.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/No.../FinnishGames/
Old 06 May 2023, 09:49   #49
Master484

Uploaded to the Zone: an advertisement scan and a new DBS for the WSOY game Ratco.

https://hol.abime.net/3903

The loading / title screen of the game is in interlaced Hi-res (640*512), and the current double barrel screenshot of it was seemingly taken in 320*256, making it look blurry, so I made a new DBS.

Also the following infos could be added:

Sub Category: "Games - board game"
Theme: "Games - board - scrabble"

Also the "Amiga original game" should probably be "Yes", since there doesn't seem to be a conversion to any other platform.

---

Also for Hextime / Memohex we should add the quickmatch "Coding - AMOS", since according to Mikket it was made with AMOS.
Old 06 May 2023, 10:04   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you for the DBS, scan and info Things have been added/exchanged.
Old 06 May 2023, 12:05   #51
NPI

Is there a possibility to find someone from Avesoft over social media and ask them if they still have their games?
Old 06 May 2023, 12:32   #52
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quick search: https://www.facebook.com/31930204826...9516436909710/
Which leads to https://zak.fi/Avesoft
Hopefully somebody that speaks Finnish can find some names there.
Old 06 May 2023, 18:18   #53
Master484

Yes, there is some basic info about Avesoft in that site.

Also the finnish and english articles there seem to be almost identical.

So, these two guys were the founders of Avesoft:

Jyrki Kummola - The founder and owner of Avesoft.
Kimmo Kujansuu - Avesoft's business advisor. Also had a part in founding the company.

Three other people are also mentioned: Jari Moisio (handyman), Karri Palovuori (had a part in many of their game projects) and Pertti Lehtinen (the programmer of Coloris).

Also there's a little bit of info about an unreleased Avesoft game, Metallic Nations, of which an Amiga release was at least planned. And that's about it everything we can learn from this site.

But if anyone still has the old Avesoft games or knows about them, it's the founder, Jyrki Kummola. So if he's in Facebook and someone has the courage, then maybe ask him about it.

But as you may have guessed, I'm not in Facebook.

---

But I have some good news guys: I just found an unreleased Avesoft game, called Celloids.

Well, actually I have known about this game for some time (it was put to the internet in 2020). But it seems that it has gone completely under the radar for everyone here on EAB, so here it is.

Here's a video, gameplay starts around 7:12

[ Show youtube player ]

And here's a finnish article, which also has a download link:
https://www.v2.fi/artikkelit/pelit/2...peli-Suomesta/

However, I uploaded the ADF to the Zone for you, so you don't have to look at the finnish language.

I'll post more info about the game soon.
Old 06 May 2023, 18:28   #54
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yay, an unreleased game I've also added it to the file server. Thank you for the info (and upload)

Jyrki Kummola seems to be on LinkedIn, so... yeah, let's see if somebody contacts him.
Old 07 May 2023, 17:37   #55
Master484

Here is some more info about Celloids, translated from the website article and the video.

So firstly, the game was released to the public in the beginning of 2018 (and not 2020 as I first said).

This happened at the birthday party of the Finnish game museum, where the finnish game/digital media preservation group Kasettilamerit was present, recording games and other stuff. (Kasettilamerit is basically the finnish equivalent to the Software Preservation Society).

So Avesoft founder Jyrki Kummola appeared at the party, and brought with him Celloids on a floppy disk. And so the game was recorded and preserved in a digital form by Kasettilamerit.

---

Originally Celloids was meant to be a commercial game, and the plan was to release it somewhere near the end of the year 1993.

However, this never happened, because the Amiga market was already dying, and releasing new games for the platform wasn't necessarily profitable anymore. Also at the same time Avesoft itself was facing tough times with the slowly dwindling PD game distribution business.

---

This version of the game that we now have is the most recent version that Jyrki Kummola managed to find, but it's not certain if this would have been the actual final release version. But what we have here is at least very close to the final version.

Both Jyrki Kummola and the makers of the game have given their permission that it can now be freely distributed.

System requirements: All Amigas with 1 megabyte of memory. (512K Chip + 512K other mem)

---

I see that we already have a HOL entry. A small fix regarding the amount of players: There is a 2 player mode, and they can play simultaneously, one controlling the ship and the other controlling the aiming and shooting.

The two player mode can be used by a single player too; gamepad + keyboard works quite well and gives more control to the aiming process.
Old 07 May 2023, 17:58   #56
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you for the extra info I've changed the number of players and added some notes about the game.
Old 26 August 2023, 16:30   #57
NPI

It has been more than two months now and I've contacted mr. Kummola via Linkedin, sadly no answers. He seems not to be present on the platform.

Is there any other person involved with Avesoft that can provide their missing games?
Old 05 February 2024, 00:09   #58
NPI

Bumping this yet again... There is one more Avesoft game: Metallic Nations

This game is released for both Amiga and PC, and is supposed to be played only online.

https://archive.org/details/pelit199...e/n67/mode/2up
http://frgcb.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-...es-part-2.html
Old 07 February 2024, 23:49   #59
qupe

I have just uploaded a pack of disks I have found on the net. I haven't check these or anything so please be aware of that.

Included are the 2 SEUCK collections, one mentions Avesoft, the other seems to be more from BlackLight inc but I get a checksum error on the 2nd collection when trying to run Flying Ace
Old 08 February 2024, 07:57   #60
Jope
-

Those are the ones we collected from members of the Finnish Saku-foorumi, many of them are my dumps.

Hmmh. Someone should pay my living expenses for six months while I go through everything I ever dumped, there's bound to be a lot of stuff that is still "never before seen" even though I did send much of it out to people who were supposed to put them online.