English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 07 October 2008, 12:51   #1
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Workbench background image?

I've been trying to use an image rather than the standard pattern, but have been having problems.

The image is located & saved as background, but still I get the same old pattern.

Does the image file need to be in a particular folder/subfolder for it to work perhaps?

PZ.
Old 07 October 2008, 13:14   #2
DH
Global Moderator

When you boot up do you see the image first before the pattern kick in & if so then that has happened to me. Seems like the pattern is overlaying the image for some mysterious reason. Mine is OK now 'n' I don't know why it caused the problem. It just resolved itself, maybe a reboot may correct this

Edit: The Image file can be anywhere on you HDD it makes no difference.
Old 07 October 2008, 13:20   #3
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
When you boot up do you see the image first before the pattern kick in & if so then that has happened to me. Seems like the pattern is overlaying the image for some mysterious reason. Mine is OK now 'n' I don't know why it caused the problem. It just resolved itself, maybe a reboot may correct this

Edit: The Image file can be anywhere on you HDD it makes no difference.
Hmm, nah I don't see the image at all & any number of reboots (hard, soft or complete shutdown) bring the image up once started.

I don't have this problem with AmigaSYS on the very same machine (not trying to start anything here), so I simply assumed it had something to do with the default ClassicWB configuration...not sure what though, as I know next to nothing about Amiga software usage!

PZ.
Old 07 October 2008, 13:20   #4
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

if you are using classicwb then you need to change the background image with the scalos patern tool in the top left hand drop down menu.
Old 07 October 2008, 13:51   #5
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
if you are using classicwb then you need to change the background image with the scalos patern tool in the top left hand drop down menu.
Thanks THB, problem solved...and a whole lot less swearwords echoing around the house!

PZ.
Old 07 October 2008, 14:44   #6
Bloodwych

Yep, that one catches people out now and again.

I could replace the Pattern icon in Prefs with the Scalos one, but that would break the pure Workbench mode (right mouse on boot) which requires those Prefs for normal Workbench windows. Plus it would also break the authentic Workbench feel.

The way to think of it is Scalos is an Expansion on top of Workbench, so for the Scalos windows you need to use the Scalos Prefs provided. All the Scalos files are neatly stored away in the Expansion drawer. The Workbench Prefs are for Workbench windows, which are used when you hold the right mouse button on boot and is in a way a separate OS.

After using OS39 for a while, I still think Scalos and 3.0/1 is superior apart from missing those biggies - GlowIcons and native 4GB+ support. It multitasks better, is much faster (especially under 020's) and renders patterns and background pictures much faster too. Plus it has less issues - one I've noticed is OS39 uses chipram for list views, while Scalos uses fastram.
Old 07 October 2008, 15:14   #7
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Yeah man, leave it as is for sure...not like that's a problem, only for people like me who need guidance with everything anyway!

ClassicWB rocks it!

PZ.
Old 25 September 2021, 20:43   #8
Playaveli
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

Send a message via ICQ to Playaveli Send a message via AIM to Playaveli Send a message via MSN to Playaveli
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Old topic... but this did not help me.
I changed it in both, WBpatterns and scalos pattern tool, but my background image is not shown. It is overlayed by either grey (copper disabled) or the copper.

Any ideas?

I do see it for a second when changing screenmodes, though.
Old 26 September 2021, 00:23   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

You're probably doing something wrong in the Scalos preferences.
Old 26 September 2021, 00:47   #10
Playaveli
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

Send a message via ICQ to Playaveli Send a message via AIM to Playaveli Send a message via MSN to Playaveli
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
You're probably doing something wrong in the Scalos preferences.

Solved it! Scalos/Patters, the defaults tab had settings to be adjusted!