English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 16 March 2009, 17:31   #1
Amiga1992

Scalos vs. Workbench

So I her it that lots of people here use Scalos.

I know that it has a bunch of additions, but what I am looking for the most is performance.

Is Scalos in any way faster than the original Workbench, or is it indeed slower? What about memory requirements?

I'd be very interested in hearing results from experienced people
Old 16 March 2009, 20:26   #2
Madcrow

Scalos seems no slower to me than Workbench. RAM-wise, I'm not sure, but it probably makes better use of Fast and Zorro RAM than the original workbench does, menaing that it's nice if you have other RAM and want to free up some more Chip RAM, but otherwise, I'm not too sure.
Old 17 March 2009, 04:57   #3
rsn8887

I have been using scalos for years, doesn't seem any slower than regular wb to me. I like that it gives right click context menus, amongst many other good little features.
Old 18 March 2009, 00:51   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
So I her it that lots of people here use Scalos.

I know that it has a bunch of additions, but what I am looking for the most is performance.

Is Scalos in any way faster than the original Workbench, or is it indeed slower? What about memory requirements?

I'd be very interested in hearing results from experienced people
Hi Akira,

I have two A1200s: one with Scalos installed; one without, and there is absolutely nothing to choose between them in terms of performance which may be attributed to the presence or absence of Scalos. This is hardly surprising. By its very nature, Scalos would be most unlikely, by itself, to have a measurable impact on throughput.

But consider this:

Although the Amiga OS has benefitted from the introduction of a whole load of extra hardware support and features between versions 1.x and 3.x, the GUI hasn't changed fundamentally in all that time. Scalos puts this right by adding configurability to the Amiga Workbench, giving it the potential to be more efficient, without drastically altering its look and feel.

My A1200 with Scalos has Version 1.2d installed. The Workbench Menu is replaced with context sensitive pop-up menus which appear with a right-click on a selected item or items and don't disappear when the right mouse button is released. Submenus and menu items are then selected by clicking normally. This gives access to all the features of the Workbench Menu without having to move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen and keep the right mouse button depressed while navigating. This can save a lot of time and feels much more natural once you get used to it.

So, in answer to your question, I would say that this is the best example I can give of the way that Scalos is faster than the original Workbench. It achieves this by boosting the performance not of the machine, but of the person using it!

prowler
Old 18 March 2009, 04:51   #5
Amiga1992

I alrteady have that functionality using MagicMEnu (for the WB,not contextual menues).

I think I might try to give Scalos a try if it doens't affect my system's performance. I guess MagicMenu alone might be a bigger system ho (if any) than Scalos.
Old 18 March 2009, 09:06   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Open up a directory full of icons on WB and do the same on ScalOS and try and do anything else at the same time... da da!
Old 18 March 2009, 10:17   #7
DC33
Zone Friend

alexh is right.... da da!!

I have tried it too and noticed the difference.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:42   #8
Marcuz

i have not tested Scalos on real amiga, nor the latest version of some day ago, but on my experience, Scalos has some incompatibility issue with some whdload game, almost always graphic glitches, for instance with Eye of the Beholder.
it's usually nothing major, but worth to be taken in account imho
Old 18 March 2009, 12:06   #9
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Is the new ScalOS more compatible with os3.9?
Could Bloodwych use it in his OS3.9 CWB?
Old 18 March 2009, 14:33   #10
Amiga1992

I would like to know more about these WHDLoad incompatibilities.

Alex, that is indeed nice. I used to have it when I used MBench on my A600.
Old 18 March 2009, 15:01   #11
Marcuz

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...whdload+scalos
EoB 1 and 2 have the same problem.

occasionaly i have seen some glitch in other games that goes away when running ClassicWB without ScaloOS, but due to the fact that i use winuae and not a real amiga, i cannot be sure whta's the cause, but on the 2 EoB, i have tested it throughouly.
Old 18 March 2009, 15:58   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

To be fair to AmigaOS3.9 there is a user contribution which came with BB1 called AsyncWB which gives AmigaOS3.9's WorkBench this particularly cool feature of ScalOS