English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 June 2007, 16:04   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

WIFI Network - Ethernet Bridge

Unfortunately my wireless ethernet bridge has now kicked the bucket so I'm looking to buy a new one. I originally had the WGE111 which functioned perfectly for what I needed it for - mainly connecting my original xbox to my wireless network to stream movies/music.

I was browsing around looking for a good price for a replacement but noticed this product:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_pr...er_wgps606.php

It says it'll act as a wireless ethernet bridge so I'm presuming it'll still work. I just want some confirmation before buying so I don't end up with a new doorstop!

I've seen it for cheaper than I can find a WGE111 (I like netgear stuff) and it has more uses than the WGE111 (which I might never use but hey).

Or maybe if someone has found a great price for the WGE111 or a similar product made by a decent manufacturer (not Belkin )

EDIT: can a mod change the title of this to something worthwhile, and move it as well - I hadn't finished writing the title and it has nothing to do with retrogaming

Last edited by killergorilla; 08 June 2007 at 16:26.
Old 08 June 2007, 16:38   #2
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

The WGPS606 looks cool since it has 4 ports. Should work, but u never know these wireless items always have bugs.

I have ordered a Linksys WET54G ver 3, this is the Linksys version of the WGE111. I chose it to link my A4000 to wireless because it has WPA, WPA2, even radius, and I have a good linksys WRT54G which it should connect to fine.

EDIT: Apparently you can make some wireless routers operate as an ethernet bridge in "client" mode, but unless you know what you are doing there, may not work out.

EDIT2: I should note that I don't have an xbox, but it is advertised to work with it and playstation without drivers.

EDIT3: Dlink have a couple of them, but i didn't like the dlink router i had before as linksys seem to update their firmware more often.

Last edited by Calgor; 08 June 2007 at 16:45.
Old 08 June 2007, 16:45   #3
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah I was interested in it because of the four ports, I've got nothing to use them all for right now but who knows in the future.

I've spotted a cheap WET11 going on ebay but I'll see what the price ends up as later
Old 08 June 2007, 18:48   #4
DamienD
Banned

Thread title changed and moved though I wasn't really sure where to move this to...

I think we need a Hardware section as well prb.Hardware

I have a Linksys WAG200G which is a gateway... IMHO Linksys make excellent, reliable wireless products
Old 15 June 2007, 19:05   #5
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Thread title changed and moved though I wasn't really sure where to move this to...

I think we need a Hardware section as well prb.Hardware

I have a Linksys WAG200G which is a gateway... IMHO Linksys make excellent, reliable wireless products
I've used the WRT54G (v2 but any version will do) with the DD-WRT software as a bridge for Amigas. It was a lot more stable than the Netgear "Game Adapter" bridge, and has quite advanced features too...
Old 15 June 2007, 19:55   #6
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Actually, some of the later WRT54Gs have a smaller flash rom so not all 3rd party firmwares can be loaded on those, but there may still be some which can do it. No one i saw actually confirmed they got the wrt54g bridge working with WPA (as opposed to WEP). Did you use WPA?

I have got the Linksys WET54G working with WPA on my ethernet based IBM PC, so it should work with the amiga as soon as i get that working (yes, the other thread i started on the a2065....).