English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 22 February 2011, 02:44   #1
amigapd

File not executable

Whilst waiting to solve the cd32 hard drive toolkit problem I ve tried copying the cd game folder over to a CF card on my Amiga 1200 Pcmcia slot and accessing the games by clicking on the main game file. This works for most games but some games like Jumpem and Lethal Formula (to name but two) require me to assign the folders.

On the cd32 toolkit I had start files e.g. Jumpem.start - I first tried copying these over but got the message -"file not executable" - I then created a new file in notepad + and copied this over without the file extension and called it simply startgame - yet again I got the message - file not executable - I even tried the orignial startup-sequence file in the S directory for the game and got the same message.

Is it easy to create an executable start file for the game or is this not possible when running from a hard drive?

I apologise for my ignorance but I did no programming with my Amiga originally and I ve only learnt about start scripts whilst creating the cd32 compilation.
Old 22 February 2011, 08:13   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Open a shell and type "protect jumpmem.start +se", this will set the script and executable bit and you can then start jumpmen just like a normal AmigaDOS executable.
Old 22 February 2011, 10:17   #3
amigapd

apologies if this is a silly question but am I correct in thinking I will have to give the full file location

protect Cf0:jgames/jumpem.start + se
Old 22 February 2011, 17:59   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Yes, you have to specify the full path of course. Notice that there is no space between + and se, i.e. the correct line would look like this:

protect Cf0:jgames/jumpem.start +se