English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 September 2012, 09:10   #201
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keatah View Post
I had an Amiga 1000. And I was constantly disappointed by the lack of games. Granted I got it when it was fresh on the market, but coming from the Apple 2 series and consoles like Atari 2600/800 and Intellivision I had expected "SOMETHING" to be available on launch.

It seemed, to me, like one endless waiting game for stuff to come to market. And I got tired of it and sold it back to the computer store from which I originally purchased it. I took all the money (got back 85%), and bought more Apple II stuff. Hard disk, upgraded the modem, SuperSerial card, stuff like that.

Initially I had intended to run the A1000 alongside my Apple //e, but when it came time to do real work I always fell back upon the Apple. Couldn't get much done with the Amiga.

Some years later, I thought I'd give the platform another go.. And got a 500 with memory upgrade/clock. And on this machine I accomplished a few more things that were the beginnings of usefulness. Things like playing with Digi-View and learning graphical paint programs, GUI skills which have now transferred to my modern-day PC usage.

But still I found it tedious to use, all the disk swapping and stuff, and again when real work was to be done it was back to the Apple II.

While I had extensive knowledge of BBS'ing on the Apple, I tried, but was never too successful with it on the Amiga. On the //e I had everything set-up just right and one-keypress away from doing what I wanted. The Amiga was just a pita! Eventually I got tired of swapping floppies and messing with the color wheel on Digi-View. So I then got into the PC eco-sphere with a 486 DX2-50.

Between the //e and 486 I had all my computing needs covered. Including games, because, a few short years later I got DOOM and RAPTOR. And from that point on I knew the PC was where it's at.

I kept all my Apple stuff and my first 486. I just recently sold my A500 to some guy overseas. So hopefully that machine is now getting some good usage.
From 1988 to 1992 all gaming stuff were in Amiga/ST. Im curious you dont speak about gaming in that era.

Apart of gaming, the Videotoaster and Lightwave had a great success ( I love Lightwave ) I think it were great applications to have played with on those times.

Do you know Robocop visual interface were made with Amiga?

Well thats the point, 1988-1992 were mainly owned by Amiga in many senses.
Old 27 September 2012, 10:11   #202
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Of course, the Amiga was a rock compared to Windows. Im just asking to see if anyone had any moans AT ALL about our beloved Meega
That's for sure.....

Yes,,, the games i miss.....and while i liked all the favourites on my A500+, I play enough as is in the iPad... I don't need to add anything..... My day us already full.. These days

I may just get the mags as a tribute.. Sorry Amiga, but these things happen.

The floppy drive on the A500+ was murder... Constant clicking,, not 'soft' like my external slim drives, but a loud click.....click....click

The battery backup clock would loose time..

I guess probably also not enough dam games... . I don't think 500 was enough...