English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 23 September 2010, 22:13   #1
AndersHP

Installing CWB onto a WB3.0

Hi, 'scuse me of my ignorance but I'm prettymuch a newbie to Amiga OS, since I've always just used the machine as a nostalgic gameconsole..

I've just bought a CF harddisk with Workbench 3.0 installed from a guy, and since I wanted ClassicWB, he's "prepared" the harddisk, by placing Classic Workbench in a drawer on my DH0:

He now tells me, that to install CWB, I have to copy the content of the ClassicWB drawer onto my DH0:, but when I try this, an error message pops up saying "drawer already exists" or something like that..

Is this really the method to install CWB onto a fully functioning WB3.0 or is there another way? And I'm not talking about WinUAE, I hope it is possible to install directly on the Amiga, since the OS is already on the CF? I'm not compatible with WinUAE

I would prefer to keep the existing filestructure and content on the DH0:, I just wany yo update WB to CWB...?

Last edited by AndersHP; 23 September 2010 at 22:24.
Old 24 September 2010, 07:47   #2
thomas

Open a DOS shell window (DH0:System/Shell) and enter the command

copy dh0:classicwb dh0: all clone

Actually AFAIK the right way to install ClassicWB is to install ClassicWB first and then let it copy files from the WB 3.0 floppy disks and not the other way round. Depending on what "the guy" prepared for you, after you copied the ClassicWB files to your SYS partition and reboot, it might still ask for Workbench floppy disks.
Old 24 September 2010, 08:16   #3
AndersHP

Asking for a WB floppy disk is no problem, since have an original Workbench 3.0.

Thanks for the advice.

If it doesn't work, or I want to try out from scratch instead, would the right way to do it then be to copy Classic WB onto my PCMCIA/CF, format the CF harddisk (in HDToolBox?) and copy Classic WB back onto DH0: ?
Old 24 September 2010, 08:44   #4
thomas

Yes, that's probably the right way. You format a partition by selecting "Format disk" from the menu. HDToolbox only creates partitions, it does not format them.

You should be very sure that you've backed up everything you need from the CF card before you format it. There is no way back afterwards.

And choose Quick format. You don't need complete format for hardddisks and even less for flash memory cards.
Old 24 September 2010, 09:23   #5
AndersHP

Ok thanks for the info.. 3 questions:

1. Is it possible to format the DH0: when it is actually running Workbench from it? Or do I have to bootup with Workbench from floppy, format DH0: in Workbench, and then copy CWB from the CF onto the blank DH0: ?

2. I currently have one partition - the DH0: If I want to keep it this way, I guess I don't need HDToolBox then..?

3. Copy CWB onto DH0: That's it? No need to "install"?
Old 24 September 2010, 09:33   #6
thomas

Quote:
1. Is it possible to format the DH0: when it is actually running Workbench from it? Or do I have to bootup with Workbench from floppy, format DH0: in Workbench, and then copy CWB from the CF onto the blank DH0: ?
It is possible to format the running system partition, but the system will not run very well afterwards, so you need a boot floppy disk anyway to be able to copy files to the freshly formatted partition. (Be sure to have the PCMCIA drivers on this disk or you won't be able to access your copy of ClassicWB.)

Quote:
2. I currently have one partition - the DH0: If I want to keep it this way, I guess I don't need HDToolBox then..?
Exactly.

Quote:
3. Copy CWB onto DH0: That's it? No need to "install"?
Well, "installation" means nothing more than to copy the right files into the right locations. If the source is already arranged in the way it should be in the destination, then a simple file copy is enough.

As I already mentioned, additional installation (i.e. copying of missing files) could be necessary after the first reboot, depending on how much the seller did (or did not) prepare for you.
Old 24 September 2010, 10:08   #7
AndersHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
It is possible to format the running system partition, but the system will not run very well afterwards, so you need a boot floppy disk anyway to be able to copy files to the freshly formatted partition. (Be sure to have the PCMCIA drivers on this disk or you won't be able to access your copy of ClassicWB.)
Hmm.. but even after installing the PCMCIA drivers onto HD, a reboot with the PCMCIA in the slot was necessary for the Amiga to "see" the CF. How do I get around this, if I only have a floppy-booted OS and nowhere to install the drivers onto?

Quote:
As I already mentioned, additional installation (i.e. copying of missing files) could be necessary after the first reboot, depending on how much the seller did (or did not) prepare for you.
Can I be 100% sure that the OS will ask for a Workbench floppydisk if something is missing, AND automatically copy them onto my HD? Or am I suddenly stuck with a non-working OS that only gives me an Errormessage...?
Old 24 September 2010, 10:29   #8
thomas

Quote:
Hmm.. but even after installing the PCMCIA drivers onto HD, a reboot with the PCMCIA in the slot was necessary for the Amiga to "see" the CF. How do I get around this, if I only have a floppy-booted OS and nowhere to install the drivers onto?
Make a copy of the boot floppy, delete some unnecessary files and install (or copy) the drivers to the floppy.

Quote:
Can I be 100% sure that the OS will ask for a Workbench floppydisk if something is missing
Only if there is a full unchanged copy of ClassicWB in this directory. If the seller changed something so that it works better with the already installed WB 3.0, nobody (but him perhaps) knows what happens if the partition is empty.
Old 24 September 2010, 10:38   #9
AndersHP

Quote:
Make a copy of the boot floppy, delete some unnecessary files and install (or copy) the drivers to the floppy.
So, the presence of the files on the floppy upon bootup, with the PCMCIA inserted, should be enough?

Thank you for the quick answers, will give it a go later today..
Old 27 September 2010, 10:04   #10
AndersHP

Thanks for the help, Thomas!

"all clone" did the job perfectly, no problems whatsoever..
I'm wondering now, though, if the CWB slows down my Amiga a bit.

My setup is:
A1200 2 MB chipram - Kickstart 3.0
Accelerator 68030 with 16MB RAM

I think I can feel a bit of frameratedrops in some games - SWIV for instance... Should this be a problem with my setup, or am I being oversensitive?

I'm comparing floppy vs. hd versions, and I have nothing open "behind" the games.. Normally about 12-14MB available RAM on the accelerator...?

I'm running OS at 512x256 (or something like that) - is there something I can improve to speedup games?
Old 27 September 2010, 11:15   #11
thomas

Games usually take over the entire system and bypass the OS. Therefore I think there is nothing you can do to slow down or speed up games, they always run at the speed they were written for.