English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 August 2010, 14:29   #1
superquake

New WinUAE set-up - what should I do?

So after years of never sorting this out properly, I've finally decided to do this.

I want an easy-to-use set-up for playing games on WinUAE. The less clicking and playing with configurations the better.

I have three config files that work great for A500, A600, and A1200. My original idea was to dump all my ADFs into folders and just load whichever config then load the game.

But then I found KillerGorilla's WHDLoad games. I have a licensed WHDLoad, so these sound great.

Would simply having an A1200 set-up with a virtual drive filled with the KG games be easy to do? Would I just need to do a bog standard install of Windows 3.1 (?) or should I go for something like AmigaSYS? Basically, all I want is an easy front-end for playing games reliably - and I very nearly bought Amiga Forever for this purpose, but decided I should try to do this myself instead.

Any words of advice? Thanks!
Old 26 August 2010, 14:33   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Some A1200 ClassicWB setup should be pretty much what you need to have a good 'WHDLoad frontend'. That is until KG will get some more free time...
For ADF games the quickstart options should be enough
Old 26 August 2010, 14:33   #3
antonvaltaz

Sounds like ClassicWB would be ideal if you're going the WHDLoad route and want to do it gratis...

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/uae.htm

(BTW the author Bloodwych has his support forum here on EAB and is very helpful!)

EDIT: Gah, too slow!
Old 26 August 2010, 14:35   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Check out Classic Workbench, once setup all you need to do is put your WHDLoad installs into the A-Z games folders and you're good to go.

IGame is installed with Screenshots & Artwork so makes playing the WHDLoad games even more fun

Edit lol, everyone pimpin' CWB
Old 26 August 2010, 14:38   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

EAB is ClassicWB territory it seems
Old 26 August 2010, 14:41   #6
seuden
uber cool demi god

You need to check out CWB.
Old 26 August 2010, 15:13   #7
john4p
Competition Moderator

You might also wanna try Classic Workbench.
Old 26 August 2010, 15:23   #8
superquake

Guys, I love you all Cheers for the responses

So, just to get this clear in my head - install ClassicWB (UAE version? I don't need to install UAE separately then install one of the other ClassicWB installs?), copy my WHDLoad to WB, then stick the games in folders and Bob's your uncle?
Old 26 August 2010, 15:26   #9
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructionsuae.htm

1. Unpack the archive by double clicking its icon
2. Place an uncompressed 3.0 (or 3.1) ROM file into the ROMS directory, renaming it "kick3.rom"
3. Start WinUAE, select "Paths" from the left hand menu and click "Reset to defaults"
4. Check the paths for various files are correct and click "Rescan ROMS"
5. Go to the "Configurations" section and double-click/load "A4000 Power"
6. Boot and follow the on-screen instructions. image
7. When asked to instert a Workbench 3 disk, hit F12, enter the Floppy Drives tab and select an ADF for DF0:
8. Go to the "Configurations" section and double-click/load "A1200"
9. Boot and follow the on-screen instructions. image
10. When asked to instert a Workbench 3 disk, hit F12, enter the Floppy Drives tab and select an ADF for DF0:
11. Pat yourself on the back, grab your favourite bev and enjoy!
Old 26 August 2010, 15:47   #10
Bloodwych

Well, just to go against all the spammers, I suggest AmigaSYS:

http://amigasys.ultimateamiga.co.uk/index.html

and also Amikit:

http://amikit.amiga.sk/

ClassicWB is ok too. (thanks everyone). You can also update to the lastest WinUAE if you want - just copy the new executable into the folder and replace the old one. In the UAE pack, I always include the last thoroughly tested WinUAE but it may not be the latest one. It's ideal for those who just want a setup to play games from Workbench. Be sure to watch the vids (first one) on how to unpack KG WHDLoad packs and populate the launchers (about 1m52sec in):

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/tutorials.htm
Old 26 August 2010, 16:05   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Well, just to go against all the spammers, I suggest AmigaSYS:

http://amigasys.ultimateamiga.co.uk/index.html

and also Amikit:

http://amikit.amiga.sk/
Spoilsport
Old 27 August 2010, 00:55   #12
methodman

I too am setting up a winuae Whdload games and demos archive I have always been able to set it up under wb3.0 but I never have been able to get Picasso to work.So I have never used any of the Scalos and new icon stuff like that. Does Picasso not work on Wb 3.0. Also I am trying for a 68040 loaded with the MMu and RTG there is that 32 chip slider that has been added. Does that mean 32 bits of Chip memory. or is that a substitute for the RTG card would picasso install to the 32 chip. or would it install to the extra slot. Anyways Winuae is persistantly crashing when I try those sliders, JIt.
I have the Green Alien guides but Winuae has changed so much they can't be followed any more. Please create some configuration files for HD setups that correspond to either Photoshop raytracing experieces or 3d Modeler building or Dr T's KCS Level ii How come that is not in Tosec by the way it is in the Atari tosec but not in the Amiga. Thanks I am confused I own a 1200 and did own a 500
Old 27 August 2010, 09:01   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodman View Post
Thanks I am confused
Thanks me too.
Thewhatnow? Dunno if it's just that missing formatting of your text or that I don't see what you're actually asking for, but I can't make heads or tails of your post.
Old 27 August 2010, 19:57   #14
methodman

unconfusing

I traced back some of my confusion to the Tosec roms themselves. Some won't let you even create a hardfile. But in the old versions the RTG use to be on the ram page then they moved it to its own page. and in some configs it is present in the display page and in others it is grayed out. Does the Picasso never work with 24 bit addressing checked? Is Picasso the only graphics card emulated now in WinUae. Were there substantial differences between Opal, Picasso other manufactures. The 90's was confusing because you had lots of varieties of hardware and no one really could understand why one graphics card was better than another one.

On another note what version of Direct x would measure up to the capabilities of the AGA chipset? Was it ever fully explored or did the times change so fast that it didn't get a chance like the Apple iigs.
Old 27 August 2010, 20:04   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodman View Post
I traced back some of my confusion to the Tosec roms themselves. Some won't let you even create a hardfile.
If you mean that you can't install them to HD, that's normal. Happens with non-cracked versions as well.