English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 April 2021, 18:29   #141
Korodny
Zone Friend

I went back to map 7 and found the RL there.

I just think it adds a lot to the atmosphere if "death" actually means something and you need to start over.

Any hints about the secret lift in map 8? I don't see anything obvious, and I don't feel like testing every surface in the entire map for a hidden switch

I was pretty sure that this was not a secret in the original game, and checking a longplay on Youtube seems to confirm that: There's a clearly visible switch for that elevator in AB3D.
Old 25 April 2021, 22:38   #142
ArcturusDeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
I went back to map 7 and found the RL there.

I just think it adds a lot to the atmosphere if "death" actually means something and you need to start over.

Any hints about the secret lift in map 8? I don't see anything obvious, and I don't feel like testing every surface in the entire map for a hidden switch

I was pretty sure that this was not a secret in the original game, and checking a longplay on Youtube seems to confirm that: There's a clearly visible switch for that elevator in AB3D.
Yeah it's a new secret for this version, since you get RL+armor which is quite potent. The wall you want is near said armor, in the dark. Look for a different texture. After that it should be fairly obvious.
Old 04 May 2021, 14:19   #143
Nobby_UK

"Look out for an additional secret map too,
based on an obscure demo found on Team 17's FTP server. "

The one were the baddies actually looked like a Xenomorph ?
Old 07 May 2021, 00:39   #144
ArcturusDeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
"Look out for an additional secret map too,
based on an obscure demo found on Team 17's FTP server. "

The one were the baddies actually looked like a Xenomorph ?
Nope, although that map and the rolling demo map are coming too, its just they use a lot of different textures and I need to finish sprites for the Xenomorphs and stuff, so they're taking a bit longer.

This demo is an even more obscure one, I don't remember it ever being on a coverdisk and hadn't seen it before developing this game. Seems to be much closer to release as it has the graphics and enemies from the final game. The map is a bit simple and seems to be mostly for showing off the engine, but I extended it a bit with some extra rooms and a big final fight.

ftp://ftp.team17.com/pub/t17/demos/amiga/ab3ddemo2.dms if you're so inclined!

Last edited by ArcturusDeluxe; 07 May 2021 at 14:45.
Old 05 July 2021, 13:09   #145
Spriteer

I have played this and enjoyed it immensely. I had to reduce the graphics quality a lot so that it wont look too pretty.
Old 24 December 2021, 13:46   #146
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Glad I found out about this project after browsing Amiga related fps threads a bit aimlessly for some time. Plays well and delightfully system friendly (unpack, and play in no time with mouse & keyboard a la Doom). Sfx may have been improved over the original, but I guess it was a much needed enhancement.