English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 May 2021, 11:29   #101
Suthriel

Just a big Thank You message :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
For anyone who isn't aware there are now tools for: The Chaos Engine, Speedball II (at least to play), Magic Pockets, Cadaver and many more

http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/

Brilliant stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroah View Post
Thank you for your kind words.
Nothing would have been possible without the initial work of outstanding people from this era.

Hello there,

i just registered here, because i wanted to thank you, Kroah for creating this amazing tool and Gods Viewer Especially that it extract all the sprites and tiles, and allow complete noobs with zero clue about programming (especially if it´s not on PC ^.^ never had Amiga, PC only) to throw them into other programs and see what happens.

Well, if you throw your extracted sprites into an AI Upscaler, and then... let´s say... into Unreal Engine, then this can happen.

https://www.deviantart.com/suthriel/...nder-879766088

Hope you like it and can forgive, that its not Amiga stuff

Also a big thanks to JohnnyWalker for his post with that link, otherwise i would have never seen Kroas tools in the first place.

Have a nice day

Last edited by Suthriel; 17 May 2021 at 11:53.
Old 17 May 2021, 21:01   #102
jotd
This cat is no more

Nice!

BTW someone already put the tiles in unreal engine to remake Gods (steam). The result is great, except for the main character that looks like shit, and it kills the rest of the visuals.

Fortunately there's also original gfx mode... and the same 4 over-explored levels. Not even new levels what a shame (I didn't even buy that game on Steam)
Old 17 May 2021, 22:38   #103
Suthriel

Yeah, i have seen that remake, and i really disliked it´s modern more CGI look. For me, it could not capture the original aesthetic. It´s the same when all companies jumped on the early 3D graphics, just because they were new, like Monkey Island 4. Imo, some games don´t need realistic (3D) graphics, some just work better with more stylized comic looks.

That´s why i am quite happy, that some AI Upscaler can do quite a good job with upscaling the original sprites, cuz with that, you can keep the original look, just polish the edges and smoothen out some colors.

Maybe i should experiment a little bit more with that and dig through some Unreal Engine tutorials ^.^
Old 17 May 2021, 22:49   #104
jotd
This cat is no more

there was a (now dead) project with pseudo 3D extruded tiles & enemies. It was beautiful and I can't find it on YT but it was 100 times better looking than this remake
Old 18 May 2021, 08:11   #105
Suthriel

That sounds interesting, do some pictures still exist? I only stumbled over one fanart image, where some pixelart indidevs created an interpretation of Gods, and even that looked way better than the official remake. They should have hired them instead.

This image:

From those group:

https://twitter.com/imoregames/statu...44739727495168

Well, for now, i think i continue to vomit ...import... stuff into Unreal engine, and see, what happens
Old 18 May 2021, 08:36   #106
jotd
This cat is no more

it's nice fanart!! And no, I should have bookmarked the video as I can't find it now.
Old 24 May 2021, 22:51   #107
Suthriel

Aloha again,

it just so happened, that i continued to throw GODS stuff into UE Here is a tiny clip, how it looks like right now

[ Show youtube player ]

Have to say, it is pretty funny, but the sad part is, that Unreal Engine is not really 2D friendly, with it´s massively outdated (or not updated) Paper2D (most 2D games rely on this).

Well, for now, have fun and a nice day ^.^

PS: Is here some sort of Fanproject corner somewhere in this forum? This thread is meant for reverse engineering, and i am not doing this, more like recreating or throwing a fan project together.