English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 January 2007, 23:21   #1
Graham Humphrey

Saturn recommend-me-do

Just got myself a Sega Saturn (PAL model) today from the charity shop I do voluntary work for, for the shockingly inexpensive sum of..... £0 (we're not allowed to sell electrical stuff y'see). I also got 11 games with it - Sega Ages 1, Theme Park, NHL 97, Sega Rally, Wipeout 2097, Story of Thor 2, Actua Golf, Sonic R, Tunnel B1, Sega Worldwide Soccer 97 and Sega Touring Car Championship. It all seems to work perfectly as well - what a bargain. Any other games I should be trying to track down?
Old 23 January 2007, 23:31   #2
Dizzy
Pirate

Congratulation with this cool machine

Just a quick answer would be

Mystaria

Nights into Dreams

Panzer Dragon (very cool must have game)

Shining Force III

more to follow
Old 23 January 2007, 23:36   #3
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

What a superb bargain! Sounds like good karma to me, you do voluntary work you get a nice Saturn

Hmm... been a while since I played Saturn actually...

I really enjoyed all of the Panzer Dragoon games (1, 2 & Saga), but good luck finding Panzer Dragoon Saga for a decent price

Guardian Heroes is also an awesome game! Great side scrolling beat em up. Some of the zoomed graphics look a bit dubious later in the game but it's superb, especially in two player.

I love the Virtua Cop Games (1 and 2), the first one is much better though, I think I played it for at least a year solid (and I was still never as good as that git on Gamesmaster). You'll need a lightgun for these 2.

Baku Baku Animal was great fun. (Think Puyo Pop / Mean Bean Machine).

Saturn Bomberman is THE best version of bomberman ever. IF you have a widescreen TV, 2 multitaps and 10 pads. 10 player bomberman must be awesome, I played 7 player once and that was awesome.

EDIT: Can't believe I missed NIGHTS INTO DREAMS. Awesome, fecking awesome.
Old 23 January 2007, 23:52   #4
Graham Humphrey

Some cool stuff here already, I must admit I never really paid attention to the Saturn before today but seems as though there's some cracking games on it (especially Bomberman - I love Bomberman. Will go on a hunt around Norwich tomorrow for a copy, a multitap and some pads). Ta muchly.
Old 24 January 2007, 00:48   #5
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Got to be Panzer Dragoon Saga, loved that game! Nights and Burning Rangers too. Also, I enjoyed Shining Force III and Sonic R.
Old 24 January 2007, 01:26   #6
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

There's a game that I liked called Magic Carpet. Virtua Fighter 2 if you don't already have it.
Old 24 January 2007, 02:02   #7
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I can highly recommend:

Dark Saviour
Nights Into Dreams
Warcraft II
Panzer Dragoon 1,2 and Saga
Virtua Cop 1&2
Clockwork Knight (well I like it)
Old 24 January 2007, 04:16   #8
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Shinoby Legends is not bad either.
Old 24 January 2007, 10:22   #9
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I agree with KG - Guardian Heroes! Especially with a multitap and some friends.
Old 24 January 2007, 10:42   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA
I can highly recommend:

Dark Saviour
Interesting... I've never played this game but I somehow ended up owning it...

Might actually play it now.

I played through the first disk of Panzer Dragoon Saga a while back only to find my battery was dead Have to start all over, just can't get the motivation to complete the first disk having done it so recently!
Old 24 January 2007, 11:42   #11
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I only actually had the first disk of Panzer Dragoon Saga, it was given away with The Official Sega Saturn Magazine. Much better than the demo although when I completed the first disk and it asked for the second, I was gutted. By that time it was very hard to find!
Old 24 January 2007, 11:49   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah I completed that demo on my mate's Saturn years ago. I wonder if he still has his Saturn...

I sold all my Saturn bits to him (except the console which I sold to a different mate) when I got rid of my Saturn to buy an N64. Funnily enough I managed to buy my original Saturn back from that different friend about 8 years later!

Might get in contact with him, he had a multitap and bomberman, and the ram expansion, and the analogue controller, and about 30 games...

/me digs out his telephone number.
Old 24 January 2007, 15:38   #13
AmigaHope

Most of the best Saturn games never saw western shores.... Grab yourself a 5-in-1 cart and get:

* Any SNK or Capcom fighter, the ones that use the RAM expansion. =D

* Tokimeki Memorial - The Saturn ver and PSX ver have different features

* Dragon Force II - The awesome sequel to the great game that Working Designs butchered for the U.S..

* Langrisser Millenium - Boxset of Langrisser 1-5, great strategy sim

* Farland Story/Saga - All of them great games

* Black Matrix - First in an awesome series. Black Matrix/AD for DC is a remake that is better in some ways, worse in others. Also remade on PS as Black Matrix Cross, also has ups and downs.

* Radiant Silvergun - Great shooter, everyone knows it.

* Mobile Suit Gundam: Giren's Ambition - Great strat sim. I prefer the Dreamcast version but this version is also good.

* Yu-No: The Girl who Cries Love at the Bounds of the World - One of the best plots in a game ever. Saturn ver has nudity removed vs. computer ver, but added voice acting.

* Shining Force III, parts 1 - 3: Ugly but AWESOME

* Atelier Marie - First Atelier game and a real classic. Fun alchemy!

* Code R - Racing and romance =D A great combination.

* Angelique series - Classic war and social strategy for girls who like to look at hot guys. =D

* Lunar series - Classic RPGs, including Lunar Magic School which never got a western release. Better on the Saturn than on the PSX, and no bad Working Designs writing!

* Sakura Taisen series - Although I'd rather play the Dreamcast versions.

* Dungeons&Dragons Collection - Better than Golden Axe!

* Idol Janshi Suchi Pai series - Most fun mahjong games ever made with catchy music and fun characters. Gameplay is *not* for serious mahjong players though, as the computer cheats and you have to compensate by using special attacks. The first game in the series came in two versions, one of which is censored. Sequels and adventure game are all censored but still loads of fun!

* Thunder Force series - More great shooters!

* Assault Suits Leynos 2 - The sequel to the BEST Megadrive platform/shooter made! The sequel is sadly short in comparison, but the gameplay is even more incredible!

* Grandia - Better than the PSX version, and the mini-sequel Grandia Digital Museum is available too!

* Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner, and Devil Summoner Soul Hackers - Two of the best MegaTen spinoffs. The third in the series (which plays nothing like the first two) came out last year for the PS2.

OK that's enough games for now, but the other thing I should mention is....

* Segata Sanshirou Shinkenyugi!!! a game about the awesomest video game system mascot EVER. SEGATA SANSHIRO

Segata Sanshiro understands that the true meaning of life is to bravely and purely play the Sega Saturn. To further this, he *BEATS THE CRAP OUT OF* anyone he encounters who is wasting time doing other things! Kids go off to play baseball? He BEATS THE CRAP OUT OF THEM. People dancing in a club frivolously? He BEATS THE CRAP OUT OF THEM. Mario has *NOTHING* on this guy. After he's done beating you to a bloody pulp, he leaves behind a Sega Saturn so you can proceed on the one true path of life!

Wikipedia article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segata_Sanshiro

Beating the crap out of clubbers - [ Show youtube player ]

Beating the crap out of baseball kids - [ Show youtube player ]

Music video of his life and exploits - [ Show youtube player ]

Same music vid, worse video quality, but with subtitles - [ Show youtube player ]

Segata Sanshiro DIES saving Sega so they can kill off the Saturn and release the Dreamcast =( - [ Show youtube player ]

The Saturn was *way* better promoted in Japan, which is why it was a success there and a failure everywhere else.

Honestly I wish we'd had an Amiga mascot as badass as Sanshiro. Zool just didn't cut it.
Old 27 January 2007, 02:32   #14
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Interesting... I've never played this game but I somehow ended up owning it...

Might actually play it now.
You should, it's an excellent game, if not a little frustrating at times