Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 14 March 2019, 10:52   #1
john4p
Competition Moderator

EAB/Lemon Super League 2019 Round 4: Shadow of the Beast

EAB/Lemon Super League 2019 Round 4: Shadow of the Beast

Starts: 12:01 March 17th Finishes: 11:59 April 7th

Rules

As most of you know this game has no inbuilt scoring system. So we had to come up with something: we specified certain landmarks that award you points when you reach them.
Also your health when reaching a landmark is worth additional points.

The score is calculated as follows: Landmark-Number*100,000 + Hitpoints*1,000

There are 17 landmarks in total. Should you get to the final boss with 5 hitpoints left your score would be: 17*100,000 + 5*1,000 = 1,705,000

Landmarks 5-14 need special items in your possession (all need a key, 9 additionally needs a wrench) to be valid.

Post a picture of your score here with the score written underneath. Enter as often as you like. Only scores achieved during the round's time frame count.

No cheating of any kind (including score leeching) - this includes save states. No continues/passwords allowed. If you suspect anyone of cheating please let us know in private - anyone found guilty will be banned for the entire season.

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Landmarks (Spoilers ahead!)

1: Entrance of the Tree ............................................................ 2: Statue on the far left

3: Giant Skeleton with Key ...................................................... 4: Door to the Bottom of the Well

5: Stationary Pulsating Eyes (only valid with item: KEY!) ........ 6: Castle Entrance (only valid with item: KEY!)

7: First Treasure in the Castle (only valid with item: KEY!) ...... 8: Wrench (only valid with item: KEY!)

9: Spider Bridge (only valid with items: KEY and WRENCH!) .... 10: Behind the Barrier (only valid with item: KEY!)

11: Flying Suit Collected (only valid with item: KEY!) .............. 12: First Lightning (only valid with item: KEY!)

13: Sparks-Arch (only valid with item: KEY!) ........................... 14: Shoot'em Up Boss (only valid with item: KEY!)

15: Castle Exit (only valid with open door or text: THE DOOR OPENS)

16: Graveyard Wall .................................................................. 17: Final Boss

Downloads

- Disk 1 Disk 2
- HDF thx @DamienD
- WHDLoad-installed (use 7zip on Windows to extract LHAs)

Extras

- Full rules and FAQ (incorporating the Hall of Fame)
- Results and Standings
- Lemon thread
- Live League Ladder

Results

Live League Table

Last edited by john4p; 24 March 2019 at 17:50.
Old 14 March 2019, 10:53   #2
john4p
Competition Moderator

Putting this up early because I'm traveling in the next days.
Old 14 March 2019, 12:06   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Downloads
- Disk 1[/URL] Disk 2[/URL]
Heya john4p,

Are you sure those disks work until completion?

These ones definitely 100% do:
...you can read more details in this thread: Shadow of the Beast freezes on end.

Also, for the WHDLoad version, people who emulation can use the self-booting / bare-bones .HDF that I created: Shadow of the Beast HDF.rar
Old 14 March 2019, 12:26   #4
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Are you sure those disks work until completion?
Nope, not at all. Thanks for the pointer to the confirmed working ADFs and your HDF.

Updated first post.
Old 15 March 2019, 00:20   #5
matburton

FIRST!

I'll be last overall though

I never played this one back in the day, it seems a little more fair than SOTB2 but not a polished or fair as SOTB3.
The music and graphics are top notch!
Old 15 March 2019, 00:25   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Keep training !
Competition Starts on March the 17th at 12:01 & Finishes on April the 7th at 11:59.
Old 15 March 2019, 00:47   #7
matburton

Quote:
Competition Starts on March the 17th
Ohhh! I can't read I did wonder why no one else had posted yet!
Old 16 March 2019, 11:41   #8
capehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Putting this up early because I'm traveling in the next days.

Thanks John, I think this all seems sensible, and I am quite impressed as I couldn't think of a scoring system myself. Just an obvious caveat though: Screenshots 5-14 should all require a KEY (otherwise you could cut out the whole first part of the game!), and screenshot 15 should show the door has opened for the same reason.

I did laugh when I saw the three screenshots at the top of the OP, I think that may sum up a lot of people's experiences of this round quite well!

Last edited by capehorn; 16 March 2019 at 22:05.
Old 17 March 2019, 17:11   #9
capehorn

Completion with no health remaining. I didn't get a screenshot of the final boss (the shot comes from after I defeated him), but got one of the end game screen.

although would it be 1,800,000 for a finished game?
Old 17 March 2019, 17:56   #10
lifeschool
Local Moderator

hi Capehorn. Only screenshots which match the waypoints are acceptable, but as you obviously completed it, Im sure John would make an exception. If you get there with more health, dont worry about killing the final boss, just stand there and take the screenshot.
Old 17 March 2019, 19:09   #11
capehorn

Ok, let's call this my first score then, as I plan to go back and improve anyway.

Old 17 March 2019, 20:12   #12
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Ok, thats great.

Didnt notice John has been missing for a while. All previous rounds scores are now updated.
Old 18 March 2019, 00:33   #13
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@john4p : As proposed when I suggested this game the first time, we should also count the remaining life-points when the Beast has been defeated.
Below is the official calculation as proposed on post #1 and an alternative calculation taking into account the remaining life-points.
I let you choose the most relevant one for the scoring.

Reached landmark : 17
Life-points when reaching the Beast : 8
Life-points after defeating the Beast : 6

Method I : 1'708'000 = (17*100'000) + (8*1'000)

Method II : 1'714'000 = (17*100'000) + (8*1'000) + (6*1'000)

Edit: I take the opportunity of this post to thank the team behind this magnificent game (gfx, music/snd, playability). No lies, it's not an easy game. However, it remains accessible with a good memory and practice. It is impossible never to be touched but the balance between the points of life and the places where one must inevitably be hit is well balanced. It's one my Amiga's favourite games I return with pleasure from time to time .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ShadowOfTheBeast-final.gif
Views:	172
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	62518  

Last edited by malko; 18 March 2019 at 09:11.
Old 18 March 2019, 18:25   #14
lifeschool
Local Moderator

What about thanking the Mods, for allowing such a ridiculous game.

According to the longplay, anyone can just stand by the big toe of the final boss, and take two hits to kill it. Its not hard, and I cant see why the life bonus would be counted twice, once before the boss, and again after the boss, only this time worth an extra 6K points (in this example).

I say if you make it to the boss, show the health, and we'll call that the score. The only exception might be if we were to add the sparkles screen as the final one, and say this is the final score. It would be using the same formula as John suggested.

I think J4P had some issues with his computer, so hopefully he will be running again soon this week.
Old 18 March 2019, 19:30   #15
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
What about thanking the Mods, for allowing such a ridiculous game. [...]
Hummmm, ... No .

But I thank all the people that have voted for this game .
Old 22 March 2019, 00:18   #16
capehorn

I had full health leaving the castle, but it is so easy to lose some in many places on the way to the end boss.

and FWIW

Old 22 March 2019, 12:14   #17
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

If you had full life after the castle, I think you can beat my score (even if I was almost full with the extra-life you get on the road). Adapt the way you are progressing in this last part. There are places where you have to move forward really slowly (one step at a time) in order to manage separately what happens from the back and what happens from the front

Last edited by malko; 22 March 2019 at 12:45. Reason: typo
Old 24 March 2019, 14:11   #18
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
Thanks John, I think this all seems sensible, and I am quite impressed as I couldn't think of a scoring system myself. Just an obvious caveat though: Screenshots 5-14 should all require a KEY (otherwise you could cut out the whole first part of the game!)
Of course - I had thought you needed the key to enter the castle...will update the landmark descriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
and screenshot 15 should show the door has opened for the same reason.
Or the text THE DOOR OPENS.

Quote:
According to the longplay, anyone can just stand by the big toe of the final boss, and take two hits to kill it. Its not hard, and I cant see why the life bonus would be counted twice, once before the boss, and again after the boss, only this time worth an extra 6K points (in this example).

I say if you make it to the boss, show the health, and we'll call that the score. The only exception might be if we were to add the sparkles screen as the final one, and say this is the final score. It would be using the same formula as John suggested.
Yeah no need for another special rule there.

Quote:
I think J4P had some issues with his computer, so hopefully he will be running again soon this week.
The issue was that I don't have it anymore. Got hold of a half-broken laptop today and tomorrow I'll finally get a new PC.
Old 24 March 2019, 16:00   #19
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I know what its like to be without a computer, its very boring when you want to talk with your friends, or play games, or look something up, but you cant.

First post on Lemon now updated with the new Key rules. Thanks for your help guys. The screenshots are self explanatory if you think about it - match the screenshot - , if they dont match then its no score.
Old 24 March 2019, 18:23   #20
Harry
HD Installer

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB_0700000.png
Views:	169
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	62557