English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 17 December 2015, 14:43   #1
idrougge

Fuzzy screen on OSX

I installed FSUAE on my Macbook, but the Workbench screen looks fuzzy and interpolated in window mode. Why is this?
Old 29 December 2015, 21:06   #2
wilshy

What would help is following the thread "FS-UAE Stable Series - Questions, Feedback and Bug Reports" as you need to provide some more information.

Also screenshots may help as well
Old 16 January 2016, 10:59   #3
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, the screen is (a bit) fuzzy because the Workbench screen opens at 640x512 (after line doubling), and FS-UAE uses a 960x540 window by default, and by default, the window content is stretched.

You can avoid this by specifying something like this:
Code:
window_width = 640
window_height = 512
zoom = 640x512
(The last line is to ensure that the Amiga display is rendered at 640x512, even if you open a smaller Amiga screen for example).

You might also like using a larger window instead, if you also want to run overscanned stuff:
Code:
window_width = 704
window_height = 540
zoom = 704x540
Old 16 January 2016, 17:31   #4
idrougge

Thank you, but why is the screen stretched when it's not necessary?
Old 17 January 2016, 06:08   #5
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

If you choose integer scaling for the rendering then you will not have any fuzziness. At least I do not recall seeing any blurring on my MacBook Pro but then I always tweak settings before launching an emulator for the first time so I rarely get to see what the defaults look like.

I personally think this option should be on by default since it guarantees a crisp display.
If people want to get rid of pixels and blur the display then they can tweak the settings but the original machine had very visible pixels (although round-ish ones in hires) so I think emulators ought to reproduce this by default.
Old 01 February 2016, 12:39   #6
mawigator

Hi!

I have encountered similar problem in SuperHires (Laced or not) mode. Platform MacOSX (Captain). Monitor 1366x768. I have tried to change window and scale as described above, however without success. It looks like some pixels still are interpolated/dropped - easy to see on OS' frames. In appears also in fullscreen mode (streched or aspect corrected using GUI button). Here is a screenshot:

Old 01 February 2016, 14:46   #7
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Cf my post above.
Most likely you have "integer scaling" unchecked and "bilinear filtering" enabled.

If your emulator window/screen has more pixels than the Amiga screen with the two options above, the image will be blurry. Enabling "integer scaling" and replacing "bilinear filtering" with "no filter" will fix it.

Last edited by ReadOnlyCat; 01 February 2016 at 14:53.
Old 03 February 2016, 22:41   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@mawigator @ReadOnlyCat this is not the same problem. Without having investigated this particular issue, I expect it is because FS-UAE does not really support super hi-res. In fact, I have never tried it myself. I expect the problem is that every other pixel column is dropped - or something like that.

Also @ReadOnlyCat you are referring to WinUAE gui options which does not exist - well, similar functionality exists in FS-UAE, but not with those names
Old 15 February 2016, 16:16   #9
idrougge

What's the point in opening a 960 x 540 screen when it doesn't map to any known Amiga resolution or aspect ratio?
Old 15 February 2016, 23:26   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
What's the point in opening a 960 x 540 screen when it doesn't map to any known Amiga resolution or aspect ratio?
A combination of reasons:
- FS-UAE was originally designed for fullscreen 16:9 resolutions, and the window mode was chosen to reflect the fullscreen behavior.
- The *default* zoom option is auto, so the Amiga resolution may change a lot anyway.
- The in-emulator menu looks best in 16:9 because the menu doesn't work nicely with other aspect ratios (it works of course, but it is squeezed).
- It has been the default behavior for some time.

This may very well change in the future, I have some specific ideas for changes. But, I won't change the default window resolution without also doing several other well thought-out changes at the same time. Otherwise, any change in default behavior will only be annoying. Until such time, you can of course override the defaults.