English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 October 2006, 20:17   #1
Rykion

California Games-Surfing=BAD graphics...

I'm not sure what version of WinUAE(1.2.0 & 1.3.2 don't work) stopped working for me, but once upon a time I had California Games 1 working flawlessly, including PERFECT graphics on the surfing part. Now, no matter what settings I try I get bars of static where waves should be. I have a strong hunch that this has to do with the fact the game will no longer boot with Kickstart 1.3(it used to), keeps asking for the Data disk if you use kickstart 1.3. I find it hard to believe that a newer version of WinUAE would have caused this. I'm going to try an older version of WINUAE later.

My old config that USED to work was:
CPU=68000, match speed, more compatible
Chipset=OCS, no options checked
ROM=Kickstart 1.3(now I have to use 2.04 or higher to get data disk recognized)
RAM=CHIP-512K SLOW-512K

Anyone have a working config that shows the surfing portion of the game correctly, if so what are the settings and what version of WinUAE? Can you get it to work with WINUAE 1.3.2? Thanks!

Old 03 October 2006, 01:18   #2
DamienD
Banned

Hey Rykion

Welcome to EAB

Hmmm, it works perfectly for me. The config I used is the same as what you "used" to use with the addition of "Cycle-exact CPU and Blitter" ticked:

... CPU = 68000, match A500 speed, more compatible.
... Chipset = OCS, Cycle-exact CPU and Blitter
... ROM = Kickstart 1.3
... RAM = Chip 512K, Slow 512K
... and of course only 1 floppy drive enabled.

The .ADF files that I used are as follows:

... California Games (1988)(U.S. Gold)[cr WOW](Disk 1 of 2)(Program).adf
... California Games (1988)(U.S. Gold)[cr WOW](Disk 2 of 2)(Data).adf

Maybe it's the version of .ADFs that you are using but you said that it used to work in earlier versions of WinUAE

Anyway, hope this helps
Old 06 October 2006, 18:12   #3
Rykion

Still Same Problem

Hey Damien!

Thanks for the welcome & detailed help. Unfortunately I still have the same exact problem. I downloaded the WOW version of California Games 1 and checked the cycle exact option(I think that's how I used to have it too) & still get the same exact problem I reported earlier. I tried WinUAE ver 0.8.21 release 1 as well, and still cannot get the data disk to be recognized with KickStart 1.3 rev 34.5(A500 version). I'm sure that the higher kickstart is causing the graphic glitch(Maybe you could confirm that for me?)
Out of curiosity, what exactly what version of WinUAE are you using? Because that is the only thing that has changed on my system. I'm using the same ADF's, same kickstart, started with my original config but changed too many times trying to get it to work Even created a brand new config as a test.
I've been using WinUAE since it's inception, 2002 I think. So I'm not a noob. This is one of those problems, that you know what the solution is but it taint working mahn!! Frustrating.

Old 06 October 2006, 18:18   #4
DamienD
Banned

Hey Rykion,

Damn, very strange.

I've tried this in WinUAE v1.0.0 and v1.3.2 (and going way back, WinUAE v0.8.21 R3 also). No issues what-so-ever.

Sure, I can try a higher kickstart when I get home tonight. Which one would you like me to try?
Old 06 October 2006, 18:55   #5
Rykion

I guess 2.04 if you have it, or any other one higher than 1.3. Maybe you can email me your config for it?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Rykion; 09 October 2006 at 19:16.

Old 07 October 2006, 00:54   #6
DamienD
Banned

Just got home after a work function, bit drunk again

2.04 if you have it??? Damn, I have the complete set of Kickstarts (well officially recoignised ones in WinUAE anyway, 32 of them if I remember correctly).

Guess what, I didn't get from Cloanto either. Ooops, wrong thread

No sorry, back on topic. Let me try with a few different KS roms...
Old 07 October 2006, 15:19   #7
DamienD
Banned

Hey Rykion,

Done some testing for you...

Using:
... Kickstart v1.2 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 33.180.rom
... Kickstart v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 34.5.rom

Using:
... Kickstart v2.04 (A500+) rev 37.175.rom
... Kickstart v2.05 (A600) rev 37.299.rom
... Kickstart v3.1 (A500,A600,A2000) rev 40.63.rom

I've attached my config used, nothing special though.

Note the paths for my .ADF files and KS ROMS. You will need to adjust accordingly...

... kickstart_rom_file=.\Rom\Kickstart v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 34.5.rom
... floppy0=.\Adf\California Games\California Games (1988)(U.S. Gold)[cr WOW](Disk 1 of 2)(Program).adf

Attached Files
File Type: uae California Games.uae (8.3 KB, 146 views)
Old 09 October 2006, 00:24   #8
Rykion

Hey thanks again for all your help bud. Still same problem, has to be with my WinUAE install or maybe my kickstart is bad? Although all my other programs work fine, weird!!
I'll uninstall & re-install WinUAE & maybe try & find another kick. Other than that I'll just live with the bad graphics with 2.04, hah!

Old 09 October 2006, 05:45   #9
Rykion

Hey Damien I have a solution for you/me!

This is getting weider because I never had to do this before, but hey it works! I tried the ZIPed version of WinUAE from the WinUAE homepage, & set up a brand new config for CA Games, got a fresh kick... Still same exact problem. Then I thought this seems like a timing issue as everything worked just fine in the past. Here is what works for me and is repeatable every time(Floppy emulation is set at 100% speed fyi):
Wait for the game to ask for disk two, press F12 and eject the disk and press OK(Yes that's right leave it blank!) wait for the game to error, and NOW insert the requested disk, works just fine now! If I eject then switch disks & press OK I get an error. Now this ONLY happens with CA games. Other games like Dragon's Lair work just fine.

I am using WinXP(Have for three years now, so that's not the issue) & a 1.10 GHz Celery CPU. Dell Pavilion 310n to be exact. I can live with this solution, but could be something that might need to be looked into in the near future? But let me add that I have tested MANY emulators for the past 9 years & WinUAE ROCKS!!!! Kudos to Bernd, Toni, Sam, Mathias & the rest of the gang! & Kudos to Damien for being so darn helpful!!

Old 09 October 2006, 19:41   #10
Rykion

Hello Damien,

I found out EXACTLY what causes my error with WinUAE & why you don't have the problem. The only time I get the "wrong disk" type error is if I USE the EJECT button, grrr! If I switch disks using Damien's suggested method of END+F1 (forgot all about that shortcut!) or if I use F12 & change disks WITHOUT using the eject button, then it works fine.
Say goodbye to the eject button.

Old 09 October 2006, 23:34   #11
DamienD
Banned

Wow, excellent news that it's now working for you

Damn, I've never tried the Eject button. I've used <End> + <F1> to eject / prompt for a new disk in DFO: for as long as I can remember...

Just testing out the Eject button method now to see if I get the same issues you've been encountering
Old 09 October 2006, 23:56   #12
DamienD
Banned

Yup, I get the same error (see image) if I do the Eject method for California Games:

... Boot up to the place where you are asked to insert the Data Disk.
... Press <F12> to bring up the GUI.
... Select Settings --> Hardware --> Disk Drives.
... Press the Eject button associated with DFO:.
... Press the ... button and select the California Games Data Disk.
... Finally press OK.

I also tried the above with Shadow of the Beast II. It doesn't occur here but you also have to press the fire button after doing the above. This shouldn't make a difference though, it shows that WinUAE has registering the new disk in the drive
Old 10 October 2006, 09:03   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Disk swap without eject and exiting GUI = disk is ejected, ~1.5s delay, new disk is inserted.

Eject + insert new image without temporarily returning back to emulation = disk is swapped instantly which can easily confuse program's disk detection logic. (yes, this is basically a bug in uae.. will be fixed)
Old 10 October 2006, 13:12   #14
DamienD
Banned

Many thanks for the explanation Toni