English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 March 2024, 22:30   #61
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
Y'know, I never got into the Dune games back in the day. How straightforward is it to jump in and figure things out?
Depends if you played modern RTS like Starcraft 2.
If you did, then controls in Dune 2 will be very tiresome (mostly because of not being able to select multiple units, so when you need to move an army, it's a pain to do it).

Dune 1 aged very well imho.
It's very nice mix of adventure and strategy game, made in time when even huge studios were not afraid of experimenting. And this experiment turned out very well.
Old 16 March 2024, 00:34   #62
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't find moving an "army" in Dune 2 to be painful at all. Reason being that you're not likely to be moving more than 10 units at a time (4 launchers plus some tanks to protect them) which can be done pretty quick. I don't remember if the Amiga version has the keyboard shortcuts, on the PC it is as simple as selecting a unit, pressing 'm', click on the mini map where they need to go.
Old 16 March 2024, 07:48   #63
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I don't remember if the Amiga version has the keyboard shortcuts, on the PC it is as simple as selecting a unit, pressing 'm', click on the mini map where they need to go.
The Amiga addendum to the manual doesn't say anything about it being different, so it should work on Amiga too.
Old 16 March 2024, 11:29   #64
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
I don't find moving an "army" in Dune 2 to be painful at all. Reason being that you're not likely to be moving more than 10 units at a time (4 launchers plus some tanks to protect them) which can be done pretty quick. I don't remember if the Amiga version has the keyboard shortcuts, on the PC it is as simple as selecting a unit, pressing 'm', click on the mini map where they need to go.
Yes, there are keyboard comands too. A attack, M move, R retreat etc.
Old 16 March 2024, 13:51   #65
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Well, in comparison with today's rts gaming, for me personally, it is painful.
If they could at least move, and after spotting an enemy, start shooting on them, the experience would be much more pleasant.
Sometimes, my Dune 2 units, go where I tell them, stop, and if the enemy start shooting them, they just ignore it, they don't shoot back, so I always need to watch every single one of my many units (and the scrolling map is also not nearly on today's level)
And I am type of player that always favorite macro play, then micro.

I am not saying it's not playable. Dune 2 is a great game, and have my full respect of creating a new wave of RTS. I finished Dune 2 back in the day, but when I tried to play it few times recently, after few missions, it really becomes really tiresome for me to control units.

On the other hand... Dune 1 was much easier to play, and not feel overdragged.
Old 18 March 2024, 10:07   #66
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:

Have to disagree, when you get to last level. Its painful on a 1MB A600. It ran at like 2 FPS and took me 3 weeks to finish, due to all stuff on screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
On the other hand... Dune 1 was much easier to play, and not feel overdragged.
I agree. Dune 1 was a perfect mix or adventure and strategy.
Old 21 March 2024, 12:44   #67
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Have to disagree, when you get to last level. Its painful on a 1MB A600. It ran at like 2 FPS and took me 3 weeks to finish, due to all stuff on screen.
Yeah but it's the last level. It isn't exactly great in the original PC version either. Regardless of performance, before you know it the game tells you that you can't build any more buildings because there is a hard limit in the game and the three enemies with huge bases are eating up most of the capacity.